Sign in to follow this  
tonyleo

Issues with PMDG 737 NGX - NOT FLYABLE

Hi all

many issues with PMDG 737 NGX. Now no longer can fly the plane. Issues include flaps not randomly extending, engines randomly not firing up, either both or one of them, sometimes they fire up but won't give any power, also on runway the aircraft will speed up to take off speed but won't take off. All these issues don't happen all at once. Was working fine up until this afternoon. Have tried the different panel states including resetting it to cold dark state, this is good money spent on this add on for fsx, but so many issues. Not sure why it's doing this. When it works, it works fine. Not sure if I need to uninstall the whole thing and re-install it again.

Thanks

Tonyleo

25 minutes ago, tonyleo said:

Was working fine up until this afternoon

Well our code certainly didn't randomly change on you, so the issue will be found elsewhere, and thus, the commentary about how much good money you spent is rather out of place. It would be like buying a luxury car, fueling up at Sketchy Gas Station on Main Street, and then saying "I'm having so many issues with this car I spent so much money on." Well, yeah, if you allow external factors to affect the car, you'll have issues - that'll happen with a $500 junker car, and a $1M show car. I get that it's frustrating to spend a lot of money on something and have it not work, but no matter how much you pay, an add-on can be affected by anti-virus programs playing up, or, more likely in your case: a bad FSUIPC config, or hardware calibration (and my money is on FSUIPC, honestly).

Kyle Rodgers

19 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Well our code certainly didn't randomly change on you, so the issue will be found elsewhere, and thus, the commentary about how much good money you spent is rather out of place. It would be like buying a luxury car, fueling up at Sketchy Gas Station on Main Street, and then saying "I'm having so many issues with this car I spent so much money on." Well, yeah, if you allow external factors to affect the car, you'll have issues - that'll happen with a $500 junker car, and a $1M show car. I get that it's frustrating to spend a lot of money on something and have it not work, but no matter how much you pay, an add-on can be affected by anti-virus programs playing up, or, more likely in your case: a bad FSUIPC config, or hardware calibration (and my money is on FSUIPC, honestly).

What are u saying about a car, this is a flight simulator and a hobby. Not very useful advice.

I appreciate that it's not the software design on the add on but at the same time it's so time consuming having to put up with errors and taking the fun away from a hobby. The other day it was also not loading the panel state and there was no gauges, controls working at all. But will check with the FSUIPC and hardware issue, thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by tonyleo

7 minutes ago, tonyleo said:

What are u saying about a car, this is a flight simulator and a hobby. Not very useful advice.

The concept is the same:

No matter how much you pay, if your behaviors or practices as an owner(/licensor) are causing the issues, it doesn't matter if you spent $1 or $1M. We could provide sim software for $1, or $1M, and it can still be rendered entirely useless if an anti-virus program is having a bad day and deletes it, or interferes with it. You might not find it to be useful advice because it undermines your point about paying good money for it, but it doesn't mean the concept is any less true. If you, or something on your computer, are causing the software to not function properly, it doesn't matter how much you paid, or how much effort we put into the program.

10 minutes ago, tonyleo said:

I appreciate that it's not the software design on the add on but at the same time it's so time consuming having to put up with errors and taking the fun away from a hobby.

Right, but this is something we can only control so much. The rest is - somewhat unfortunately - on you: you have to keep your computer running properly, use add-ons that don't interfere, and configure things to work well for a computer to work well.

11 minutes ago, tonyleo said:

The other day it was also not loading the panel state and there was no gauges, controls working at all.

This sounds like either anti-virus issues, or perhaps setting the NGX as your default aircraft (something that we specifically tell you not to do in the Intro Manual).

We provide quite a number of basic pointers and helpful suggestions in the Intro Manual. Have you read through them, and perhaps tried to ensure you're following them? We, as developers and users of the sim, know how complex all of this is, and how frustrating it can be. This is so much so that we actually put a bunch of those pointers in the guide to help you out, too.

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

The concept is the same:

No matter how much you pay, if your behaviors or practices as an owner(/licensor) are causing the issues, it doesn't matter if you spent $1 or $1M. We could provide sim software for $1, or $1M, and it can still be rendered entirely useless if an anti-virus program is having a bad day and deletes it, or interferes with it. You might not find it to be useful advice because it undermines your point about paying good money for it, but it doesn't mean the concept is any less true. If you, or something on your computer, are causing the software to not function properly, it doesn't matter how much you paid, or how much effort we put into the program.

Right, but this is something we can only control so much. The rest is - somewhat unfortunately - on you: you have to keep your computer running properly, use add-ons that don't interfere, and configure things to work well for a computer to work well.

This sounds like either anti-virus issues, or perhaps setting the NGX as your default aircraft (something that we specifically tell you not to do in the Intro Manual).

We provide quite a number of basic pointers and helpful suggestions in the Intro Manual. Have you read through them, and perhaps tried to ensure you're following them? We, as developers and users of the sim, know how complex all of this is, and how frustrating it can be. This is so much so that we actually put a bunch of those pointers in the guide to help you out, too.

No matter how much you pay, if your behaviours or practices as an owner(/licensor) are causing the issues, it doesn't matter if you spent $1 or $1M

Hi

I don't know where you get the impressions about the behaviours or practises as you mentioned above, I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding here that somehow I am causing these issues with stuff that I'm doing, well to my best of knowledge I am not. I work with desktops all day and have good knowledge when it comes to technical matters. The PC I'm using now is only a few months old, it's kept up to date with all software and I always try and keep it well maintained, I use quite a few other add ons, some freeware and some pay ware, and despite the odd technical glitch, they all mainly run smoothly. I do not use the NGX as a default saved aircraft in the sim, as I know this causes issues with the panel state and so on. The issue I struggle with is that not sure why the 737NGX would run fine one day and then without having done or changed anything it does all this weird stuff, such as the issues posted earlier. I also use other pay ware aircraft and they seem to work okay. I will look at the FSUIPC and the antivirus to see if that's causing the issue. The actual add itself on is excellent and the attention to detail is astonishing, which is why I purchased it.

Edited by tonyleo

13 minutes ago, tonyleo said:

No matter how much you pay, if your behaviours or practices as an owner(/licensor) are causing the issues, it doesn't matter if you spent $1 or $1M

Hi

I don't know where you get the impressions about the behaviours or practises as you mentioned above, I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding here that somehow I am causing these issues with stuff that I'm doing, well to my best of knowledge I am not. I work with desktops all day and have good knowledge when it comes to technical matters. The PC I'm using now is only a few months old, it's kept up to date with all software and I always try and keep it well maintained, I use quite a few other add ons, some freeware and some pay ware, and despite the odd technical glitch, they all mainly run smoothly. I do not use the NGX as a default saved aircraft in the sim, as I know this causes issues with the panel state and so on. The issue I struggle with is that not sure why the 737NGX would run fine one day and then without having done or changed anything it does all this weird stuff, such as the issues posted earlier. I also use other pay ware aircraft and they seem to work okay. I will look at the FSUIPC and the antivirus to see if that's causing the issue. The actual add on itself is excellent and the attention to detail is fantastic, which is why I purchased it.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:12 PM, tonyleo said:

I don't know where you get the impressions about the behaviours or practises as you mentioned above, I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding here that somehow I am causing these issues with stuff that I'm doing, well to my best of knowledge I am not.

Tony,

If the problem were a core issue with the NGX, and not local to your computer or something you are doing on that computer, then you'd see a rash of reports like yours, all showing the same thing. The fact is that isn't the case. Moreover, to your point that "to the best of [your] knowledge" you're not causing the problem, I can completely understand that, but again, let's look at the issue: you're a single user reporting an issue that has no collaboration across other users. As someone offering support, I have to work on the facts in front of me. If your report is a single report in a void of similar reports, I have (and it would be logical for you to) assume that it is something local to your machine, or something that you are doing. That isn't a personal thing. It's not a judgment of your computing skillset. Nothing like that. The fact remains, though, that you're reporting something that seems local to your machine. I'd like to help you, but if you're going to assert that it's definitely not caused by you or your computer in the face of the facts, then there isn't much that I can do.

To be clear, the only reason I reacted so bluntly earlier is that you made a remark that made it seem like software should just work perfectly if you pay more for it, regardless of any other factors that could affect it. That's literally impossible. You could be the best programmer, with the cleanest code, with absolutely no bugs, and someone else's program (notably, the more aggressive anti-virus programs) running in memory can cause issues - $1, $100, $1M paid - all the same. I hear the argument attempted way too often in this community, so when I hear it now, I like to nip the thought in the bud because it's not logically (or factually) sound.

The PC I'm using now is only a few months old, it's kept up to date with all software and I always try and keep it well maintained, I use quite a few other add ons, some freeware and some pay ware, and despite the odd technical glitch, they all mainly run smoothly.

Couple things here:

• Keeping a computer up to date is both a good and a bad thing: you want to have the latest patches and security updates, but you should also be aware that the latest version can also have issues. The latest NVIDIA drivers made the sim unflyable a year or two ago. P3D v4.2's latest version has a bug with the panel file handling and User Tip function. This could be part of the cause here, though it's not common. Additionally, anti-virus blacklists, security postures, and so on, change frequently as those programs are updated all of the time. So, even though you might not have consciously changed anything, changes are being made to your comp - AV programs, Win updates that run in the background now.
  • Other add-ons not having an issue is somewhat irrelevant - it depends on the add-on, honestly. The more complex, the better comparison, but what one dev uses to work in the sim can be vastly different from what another dev does. It's worth noting, sure, but I wouldn't put too much weight in it, particularly if it isn't a highly-complex add on.

I do not use the NGX as a default saved aircraft in the sim, as I know this causes issues with the panel state and so on.

Good to know, so it's not that.

The issue I struggle with is that not sure why the 737NGX would run fine one day and then without having done or changed anything it does all this weird stuff, such as the issues posted earlier.

If it were a problem with the NGX's code, it would do it all the time. Something is causing these changes - some other program running, perhaps a weather program and the weather being different (if you use a weather program, where are your turbulence sliders?).

Kyle Rodgers