Sign in to follow this  
BBoyJD10

FSL back at it again

I have been reading about the drama on Reddit.  Someone was able to look at the files and basically said there is nothing there but placing them in the Windows directory with names similar to system names is clumsy at best.

Edited by MarkW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

*gets in before thread closure*  🍿😃

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Why the hell are they putting files in Windows system folders? I get it: you want tough anti piracy... But the anti-piracy methods are being discovered anyway. If they are going to touch my windows system files (or allow mini trojans in their EXEs) then maybe I'd be better off without this addon. Very displeased with this crap.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

18 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I have been reading about the drama on Reddit.  Someone was able to look at the files and basically said there is nothing there but placing them in the Windows directory with names similar to system names is clumsy at best.

It might not be anything nefarious, but installing anything in the main windows directory is a big no-no....especially with no prior knowledge to the user.  But it's FSLabs, no surprise at all.  

Go to /r/flightsim....they have all the info there, and it WONT be deleted.

Edited by nazethc
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Any program I have ever shared over the web does not use installation routines or the registry, just local .cfg files, if needed for the program or printer parameters.  I learned how to write code in assembler and basic and c++, for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1.  Most of my programs today are backward compatible all the way back to Windows 95, and one to Windows 3.1.  I am not bragging, I cannot write business important programs to run mega companies, and I've only made one sim aircraft with crudely coded but workable XML gauges, because I wanted the aircraft to work with whatever followed FSX, and fortunately it did--my ultralight trike here at Avsim works well in P3D4.2

I feel developers landing junk in the Windows core is garbage, and suspect.  They either do not know what they are doing or know full well what they are doing.  And if they get caught at it, I hope the market economy determines their fate.

They may complain about pirating but holding someone's personal computer hostage, with all the other programs that have nothing to do with their product, is wrong. I am being polite and politically correct but I want these developers to imagine the words I am thinking, and I will leave it at that.

John 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Any program I have ever shared over the web does not use installation routines or the registry, just local .cfg files, if needed for the program or printer parameters.  I learned how to write code in assembler and basic and c++, for MS-DOS and Windows 3.1.  Most of my programs today are backward compatible all the way back to Windows 95, and one to Windows 3.1.  I am not bragging, I cannot write business important programs to run mega companies, and I've only made one sim aircraft with crudely coded but workable XML gauges, because I wanted the aircraft to work with whatever followed FSX, and fortunately it did--my ultralight trike here at Avsim works well in P3D4.2

I feel developers landing junk in the Windows core is garbage, and suspect.  They either do not know what they are doing or know full well what they are doing.  And if they get caught at it, I hope the market economy determines their fate.

They may complain about pirating but holding someone's personal computer hostage, with all the other programs that have nothing to do with their product, is wrong. I am being polite and politically correct but I want these developers to imagine the words I am thinking, and I will leave it at that.

John 

This sums it up....well said Sir!

What, in the name of all that's good, is wrong with these guys?

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

12 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

What, in the name of all that's good, is wrong with these guys?

Better question, why do people continue to support them with their wallets?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Matt King

They haven’t learned their lesson, and they won’t. Probably doesn’t hurt that readers at Avsim were actively protected from hearing about what they did the first time.

Shaking my head.

James

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I have spoken with my wallet as well, no support from me for this sort of activity

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Matthew Kane

I doubt AVSIM will be knocking its knees and biting its fingernails because of a legal threat by a developer colouring outside the lines, at least I hope so. There are people here with integrity. 

As far as what the company is reported to be doing, I hope it is false as it would be, if true, a breech with enormous negative consequences within this community, in my personal and private opinion.

I too will not be buying their product either if this linked report is accurate.

Kind regards,

Stephen.

Edited by SpiritFlyer
Still can't spell much beyond about grade 5. :)
  • Upvote 1