Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

Taking the next step....

I got X-Plane 11 about a month ago, deciding to give XP a shot instead of P3D v4. In that time i have flown more than i ever did in FSX or P3D, mainly because i am just not constantly messing with my settings. I joined FSEconomy also, and have done 4-5 flights in the past two days.

My experience level is still pretty limited. I have figured out the 530 and can use GPS to fly flight plans, and i use sites like SkyVector to make flight plans. I can takeoff, and i am getting much better at landing smoothly. I only fly the Pilatus PC-12 and really like it. As far as add-ons go, i also use the Ortho4xp stuff and have most of the US loaded. Brilliant. I also have x-camera which is a game-changer. 

So where am i weak, and what does this have to do with taking the next step? I have no clue what i am doing on the ground. I don’t know how to taxi properly to runways, or how to ask permission to takeoff. I only know how to fly with GPS. No idea how to use instruments to navigate or land.  Also, no idea how to communicate with ATC or even use the radios. Other weak areas include not flying at the right altitude, or even knowing what altitude to fly at. I just try to clear the upcoming mountains! lol. And this leads to some exciting landings, being way too high on approach. I am getting better at this last part, trying not to fly too high, and then getting down quicker before getting ready for the approach. 

I am sure there are a ton of other things i am either not doing right, or overlooking completely, but i like the challenge. But i want to take the next step, and VATSIM looks really awesome. Of course, i have a lot of holes i need to plug regarding my knowledge, so i guess i am wondering if VATSIM is my next step? Too soon? Kill more virtual passengers on FSEconomy for a while until i get better, or just go for it? 

What do you think my next step should be?

From a guy that uses a bunch of single ATC programs and always wishing there was more....I say go for it. I do a lot of FS Economy as well and sometimes I don't try VATSIM or PilotEdge because it's a quick 1-hour hop typically on FSE and I have an "excuse" not to. I would go straight there and avoid the commercial ATC programs, but if it does not work for you, there are plenty ATC programs to choose from that will add. Youtube is your friend for all of the how-2s.