Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Repainting

Registration number changes are really easy to do by yourself.  I do them all the time, mostly to change a non-US one to a US one.

Simply open the textures in DXTBMP and send them to your editor and edit them out and reload the image after edit in DXTBMP and save it and you're done.

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Simulators:  Prepar3D v3.4, Prepar3D v4.5, FSX:SE, FSX:Gold Edition

Using the FSX Deluxe Edition SDK SP2 for development.

2 hours ago, caleb1 said:

Registration number changes are really easy to do by yourself.  I do them all the time, mostly to change a non-US one to a US one.

Simply open the textures in DXTBMP and send them to your editor and edit them out and reload the image after edit in DXTBMP and save it and you're done.

Sounds easy enough. Are there any free editors out there that work for P3D paints?

• Like 1

Hi...

Gimp is probably the best free one - Photoshop is subscription based so I would steer clear of that - I use Paint Shop Pro X9 - you can pick it up pretty cheap on Amazon... One advantage of PSP and PS is that you can use the NVidia plugin to read and write DDS files directly... If you need help just ping me...

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On 6/5/2018 at 7:47 PM, Bert Pieke said:

And we need someone to change the "8008 Integrated Flight Control" label, to "800B" which is the proper designation (I told Alabeo, but they do not seem to care..)

Found it tonight in Common Textures/win_texts.dds and took a stab at it.  Replaced the wrong "8" and also all of the countless texts in that file came back blurry.  Will try again tomorrow, saving an Alpha channel first and then applying it back. Stay tuned!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 6/5/2018 at 7:47 PM, Bert Pieke said:

And we need someone to change the "8008 Integrated Flight Control" label, to "800B" which is the proper designation (I told Alabeo, but they do not seem to care..)

Found it tonight in Common Textures/win_texts.dds and took a stab at it.  Replaced the wrong "8" and also all of the countless texts in that file came back blurry.  Will try again tomorrow, saving an Alpha channel first and then applying it back. Stay tuned!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I believe the night textures also need changing.. which makes it more challenging..  :unsure:

Bert

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I believe the night textures also need changing.. which makes it more challenging..  :unsure:

There are actually three related textures but I failed again this morning.  Looks great in Photoshop and DXTbmp, but when loaded in FSX all of the labels on the panel are blurry.  Not sure what to try next.  Last night I had used the text tool to create a B and place over the erroneous 8.  Today I cut and pasted a B from elsewhere on the panel.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi Frank,

Did you try "no mipmaps" ?

Here's a link to Nvidia's Photoshop Plugin - read/write DDS files directly... This will also load the Alpha into PS at the same time the main image is loaded... 

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

More information please? Scott. I am not aware of this, or its effects.  Only know that with two simple edits the file size grows from 16 mb to 23 mb.  

Frank Patton
ASUS 

24 minutes ago, fppilot said:

More information please? Scott. I am not aware of this, or its effects.  Only know that with two simple edits the file size grows from 16 mb to 23 mb.  

In DXTBmp, there is little box to the right that has MipMaps ticked.. if you untick this, a 16 MB file will be saved.

Bert

5 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Frank,

Here's a link to Nvidia's Photoshop Plugin - read/write DDS files directly... This will also load the Alpha into PS at the same time the main image is loaded... 

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

Regards,
Scott

I tried installing that plugin, but my Photoshop does not like this DDS file and claims it is not  "the right kind of document"..

Bert

Got the plug in already. Had to fool around a bit to discover the right setting for saving alpha channel. Heading out to dinner with wife but my first stab, just covering up the last "8" was successful.  No time right now to post a screen shot. 

So my earlier method of finding a "B" in the panel and pasting over that 8 should work.  That worked in Photoshop before the plugin, but just did not translate well to the panel.  Also completed a repaint of sorts today. One where I merely recolored some striping and changed the tail number.  Came out good.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

44 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I tried installing that plugin, but my Photoshop does not like this DDS file and claims it is not  "the right kind of document"..

Hi Bert,

i use PSP which it wasn’t made for and it works there so we should be able to get this going for you... I think you had to maintain the folder structure in your “plugins” directory...

To see if it’s properly installed - can you save file and see if it allows the DDS file type ?

i don’t have my laptop with me - I can get a snapshot of how I installed and post here - tomorrow...

Regards,

Scott

17 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Bert,

i use PSP which it wasn’t made for and it works there so we should be able to get this going for you... I think you had to maintain the folder structure in your “plugins” directory...

To see if it’s properly installed - can you save file and see if it allows the DDS file type ?

i don’t have my laptop with me - I can get a snapshot of how I installed and post here - tomorrow...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

It does not offer DDS file types in the Save-As dialogue..

There is a dds64 item in my plugins folder.. I'll try the 32 bit version instead..

Bert

Hi Bert,

I’ll look at my setup n the AM and we can compare notes - we’ll get it working - I definitely use the 64 bit version - it truly makes life much better...

Regards,

Scott