Sign in to follow this  
Iceman2

What’s the difference btw UTL & PSXseeconTraffic wrt SimConnect

Hi all, what’s the difference between UTL and the way PSXseeconTraffic injects their AI.

I thought both used simconnect to inject the traffic. With UTL 3rd party programs can see the AI. For example ATC programs (PF3) and GSX. However with PSXseeconTraffic the AI are invisible to them.

Im really loving PSXseeconTraffic and don’t want to do without it. 

So is it something PSXseeconTraffic needs to change to make 3rd party software work together or is it the 3rd party software that needs to be altered to work?

Life is so much better with PSXseeconTraffic, just need it to work with GSX and PF3.

cheers

IM

Edited by kiek

6 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

what’s the difference between UTL and the way PSXseeconTraffic injects their AI

The aircraft injected by PSXseeconTraffic are representations of real live aircraft. They are NOT AI aircraft computer driven by flight plans, as will be the case in UT "Live".

PSXseeconTraffic updates the position, altitude, pitch and bank 25 times per second via SimConnect calls. They are "slewed through space" so to speak contrary to UTL that probably uses one SimConnect call to set up an aircraft with a flight plan and let the Simulator do the "flying/taxing" (but I am only guessing here).

When PSXseeconTraffic creates an aircraft in your Sim via SimConnect it provides two parameters: the Livery title (from  the title= line in the [fltsim.x] section about the Livery) and the Callsign (from RealTraffic) as TailNumber. The Callsign in RealTraffic is normally something like UAL123 but sometimes the aircraft registration code.

3rd party programs can obtain the Callsign of an AI aircraft via SimConnect (parameter atc_id). Some 3d party programs (such as PF3) are still using FSUIPC, but I assume that Pete is just mapping SimConnect data upon his data.

But why would you use an ATC program? PSXseeconTraffic's aircraft are controlled by live ATC.

In some (most?) countries you can listen to live ATC channels to hear not only the real flight controllers but also the real pilots!

A good example is the live stream from KLAX at YouTube, see the link at the PSXseeconTraffic web site.

Nico

Edited by kiek

Gidday Nico,

I do use real live ATC for short flights but find it difficult to find the appropriate frequencies for longhaul tube liner flying. It’s certainly pretty cool and I’m amazed at this software’s development. However I miss being controlled by ATC and therefore use PF3 unless I can do a flight with live ATC and hear my callsign. (Ok for short flights)

I know you mentioned flight plans before in another topic I posted a few weeks ago so I’m starting to understand, albeit slowly. 

I completed a flight the other day and assigned my gate via GSX but noticed GSX showed the airport as empty from any AI. Unfortunately when I arrived at the gate another aircraft was parked in it.

It got me thinking again as to what needs to be done from these other 3rd party developers to make them work together.

As I wrote in another topic a week or two ago the developer from PF3 said his product only responds to AI movement whether controlled by FSX/P3D or some other software so depending on the title names PF3 should work and see your AI.

Another example is the AIcontroller program (freeware) slews the AI around and works fine with PF3. 

On more testing I now think PF3 and GSX just don’t see any of the AI from PSXseeconTraffic.

Early days for this program so maybe there’s a solution around the corner.

Cant wait for a fix and hopefully then you’ll turn PSXseeconTraffic into payware and get something back for your hard work.

My biggest thumbs up for PSXseeconTraffic is no more multiple AI landing on each other, AI follow SIDs & STARs and cruise at RVSM flight levels. 

Excellent product (thank you)

IM

2 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Early days for this program so maybe there’s a solution around the corner.

Cant wait for a fix ...

Early days? PSXseeconTraffic was released two and a half years ago...🙂

Don't expect a fix from me. I cannot put more info about my aircraft  in SimConnect then I do now.

Nico

Edited by kiek

5 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

My biggest thumbs up for PSXseeconTraffic is no more multiple AI landing on each other, AI follow SIDs & STARs and cruise at RVSM flight levels. 

Excellent product (thank you)

Thank you for your kind words.

Enjoy my program

Nico

Hi Nico.  I am going to give this a try. Couple things to note:

1) The Quick Start link on page 4 of version 10.6 of the manual goes to an invalid page. 

2) I have UTL and been spending a lot of time getting all the AI Aircraft setup and flight plans. I say a YouTube video where the guy used UTL and PSXseeconTraffic and LiveATC. Not sure why he would use both other than the AI Aircraft mapping.  https://youtu.be/JssjSy6nfYE

5 hours ago, AZWildk4t said:

Hi Nico.  I am going to give this a try. Couple things to note:

1) The Quick Start link on page 4 of version 10.6 of the manual goes to an invalid page. 

2) I have UTL and been spending a lot of time getting all the AI Aircraft setup and flight plans. I say a YouTube video where the guy used UTL and PSXseeconTraffic and LiveATC. Not sure why he would use both other than the AI Aircraft mapping.  https://youtu.be/JssjSy6nfYE

@1 Thx, I'll correct that.

@2 Indeed, you should only use the UTL aircraft.