Sign in to follow this  
burm

How Good Is ORBX Global

I have Ultimate Terrain in P4dv4.1 and do not have any ORBX sceneries.

How does ORBX Global Base compare this in p3dv4 in appearance and performance?

Thanks

Significant difference, although Ultimate Terrain is pretty good.  FTX Global does not include vector data though.   That's a separate purchase.

This video may help a bit too, though it's a few years old now...

Edited by Gridley

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

41 minutes ago, burm said:

I have Ultimate Terrain in P4dv4.1 and do not have any ORBX sceneries.

How does ORBX Global Base compare this in p3dv4 in appearance and performance?

Thanks

Two different products.  Ultimate Terrain gives you Vector data and some urban landclass.  FTX Global gives you all new ground textures which are much better than default.  The ORBX  'equivalent' of Ultimate Terrain would be FTX Vector and it provides global vector coverage as opposed to separate areas.  You can actually use Ultimate Terrain with ORBX FTX Global.  Hope that makes sense....and helps😄

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

It’s really really really really really good😉

I was an Ultimate Terrain user for years.  Moved to ORBX Global + ORBX Vector without regrets.  While UT was limited to an area, ORBX Global covers the globe with new textures.  As others have said, to get the nice rivers, coastlines, roads, railroads, etc., you would need ORBX Vector (which is global too), but this product is known to use more resources.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

It was on sale recently at 45% off, although I think that's ended now. At any rate it works out cheaper that Ground Environment X (GEX) which is another "global terrain texture" product, because FTX Global covers the whole world in one go rather than region by region. I can't think of any addon that provides a bigger upgrade to the sims visuals in one hit, because the default terrain textures are low resolution (even on P3D), I definitely recommend a global terrain texture upgrade!

Seems you're a little confused over what products do what, I've done a brief guide you may find handy at http://viaintercity.com/forums/general-discussion/recommended-addons/msg3644/#msg3644 that goes through it layer by layer.

As others have pointed out, Ultimate Terrain is not terrain textures it's vector data (roads, railways, coastlines) and landclass (here be a forest, here be farmland, here be open countryside, this is a village). So Ultimate Terrain tells the simulator where to place each type of terrain texture, but at the moment you are still using the default textures that came with P3D (and FSX). You can use Ultimate Terrain just fine with any texture set, although if you use OpenLC for future regions you will benefit from additional classes included with FTX Global textures.

You should definitely get FreeMeshX too, so your new textures can be draped across pretty hills!

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

So, how is the lighting at night?

49 minutes ago, burm said:

So, how is the lighting at night?

What kind of answer would you be expecting to that question?

"Nice".. :tongue:

Bert