Sign in to follow this  
mrlip

Gsync, VSync and FPS

Hi all. Been running P3D 4.2 for a couple of months now using unlimited FPS, vsync off and triple buffering off. I run P3D in windowed mode so Gsync is enabled for both full screen and windowed. NCP is all defaults and NVI is not being used. Monitor is 60hz so FPS never go above this due to Gsync. 

I fly mainly PMDG level aircraft with activesky, envtex and payware scenery etc so my usual average FPS on the ground will be circa 25-30 and only up to 60FPS when in the air.

Performance has been fine with the above settings but I’ve been reading recently that G-Sync only kicks in when above 30fps so my question is, would I be better served using locked FPS or vsync or a combination of both/all 3 in order to get a bit more smoothness and sharper textures?

Edit - Doh forgot specs -

i7 7700HQ

Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB

16GB DDR4 

Edited by mrlip

46 minutes ago, mrlip said:

Hi all. Been running P3D 4.2 for a couple of months now using unlimited FPS, vsync off and triple buffering off. I run P3D in windowed mode so Gsync is enabled for both full screen and windowed. NCP is all defaults and NVI is not being used. Monitor is 60hz so FPS never go above this due to Gsync. 

I fly mainly PMDG level aircraft with activesky, envtex and payware scenery etc so my usual average FPS on the ground will be circa 25-30 and only up to 60FPS when in the air.

Performance has been fine with the above settings but I’ve been reading recently that G-Sync only kicks in when above 30fps so my question is, would I be better served using locked FPS or vsync or a combination of both/all 3 in order to get a bit more smoothness and sharper textures?

Edit - Doh forgot specs -

i7 7700HQ

Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB

16GB DDR4 

Is your monitor 30hz stable?

Matt Wilson

I also use unlimited FPS, v-sync off & TB off, but have an external frame rate limiter set at 36. I find if I use the in game one, my CPU cycles really increase. 

I have a 144hz G-sync monitor, but I have to disable G-sync when running P3D or I get flashing/flickering that's really annoying.

Jd  

2 hours ago, JimmyD said:

I also use unlimited FPS, v-sync off & TB off, but have an external frame rate limiter set at 36. I find if I use the in game one, my CPU cycles really increase. 

I have a 144hz G-sync monitor, but I have to disable G-sync when running P3D or I get flashing/flickering that's really annoying.

Jd  

I haven’t noticed the flickering affect often but I have seen it occasionally. Do you use NVI to limit the frames? Any particular reason you decided against running V-Sync? 

I use this guide to get G-SYNC to work with my setup. I don't use NVI. No flickering. It works great!

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

I have a gsync monitor but I’ve found that P3D is smoother with gsync off and  vsync on at 1/4 rate (165hz refresh) with a frame limiter.  

Gsync is handy with high fps but like you said, below 30 it hardly does anything. In fact it introduces a bit of delay. With P3D and complex addons how often can we get high fps anyway. 

Also if you use Gsync exclusively it does not limit your FPS to 60. If you exceed 60 it will switch to regular Vsync instead.

I would use 1/2 refresh rate with frames limited to 30 in your case for the smoothest experience. 

7 hours ago, TheBoom said:

I have a gsync monitor but I’ve found that P3D is smoother with gsync off and  vsync on at 1/4 rate (165hz refresh) with a frame limiter.  

Gsync is handy with high fps but like you said, below 30 it hardly does anything. In fact it introduces a bit of delay. With P3D and complex addons how often can we get high fps anyway. 

Also if you use Gsync exclusively it does not limit your FPS to 60. If you exceed 60 it will switch to regular Vsync instead.

I would use 1/2 refresh rate with frames limited to 30 in your case for the smoothest experience. 

1/2 refresh rate does not work with P3D

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

7 hours ago, TheBoom said:

Yes I will give that a go I think at 1/2 refresh rate and 30FPS locked. However based on

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

1/2 refresh rate does not work with P3D

Does anyone have 1/2 refresh rate working in P3D V4.2?

1 hour ago, mrlip said:

Yes I will give that a go I think at 1/2 refresh rate and 30FPS locked. However based on

Does anyone have 1/2 refresh rate working in P3D V4.2?

Unfortunately it will not work because P3d runs in window mode unlike FSX that had an actual full screen mode.  So basically u need a 30hz capable monitor for the smoothest experience.  My monitor will also support 24hz which is nice in high demand areas like payware airports with a lot of traffic.  Have u tried setting up a custom resolution in NCP?

Matt Wilson

35 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Unfortunately it will not work because P3d runs in window mode unlike FSX that had an actual full screen mode.  So basically u need a 30hz capable monitor for the smoothest experience.  My monitor will also support 24hz which is nice in high demand areas like payware airports with a lot of traffic.  Have u tried setting up a custom resolution in NCP?

No I haven't looked into a custom resolution. I may try Gsync off and then play about with locked\unlocked FPS and VSync on\off to see how things go.

1 hour ago, mrlip said:

No I haven't looked into a custom resolution. I may try Gsync off and then play about with locked\unlocked FPS and VSync on\off to see how things go.

I would try creating a custom resolution before u do anything else.  U can set your refresh rate manually to 30hz in there. My monitor only shows 60 or 75hz in the settings.  However with a custom resolution set to 30hz it works perfectly fine.  This doesn’t work with all monitors but it’s worth a shot.

Matt Wilson

41 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I would try creating a custom resolution before u do anything else.  U can set your refresh rate manually to 30hz in there. My monitor only shows 60 or 75hz in the settings.  However with a custom resolution set to 30hz it works perfectly fine.  This doesn’t work with all monitors but it’s worth a shot.

My laptop screen won't do 30HZ unfortunately with a custom resolution. My external monitor can do 30HZ it seems using CRU but I am not always at my external monitor. Could be a good solution for when I am though. 

I will try g-sync off with FPS externally locked at 28 and VSync & TB off. 

6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Last I checked someone made a video about this. Apparently adaptive 1/2 (or 1/3 or 1/4) refresh rate vsync works to a certain extent in P3D. I have been using it with the frame limiter at 40.8 FPS and it does something for sure. How I can tell is, if I have adaptive vsync on in NVI and vsync in P3D off I get a slight input delay. This delay doesn’t exist without adaptive vsync on. 

I guess standard vsync wouldn’t work in windowed mode.