trisho0

Trim question for PMDG 737NGX

This over-usage of the elevator trim for too many purposes (managing climb/decent, airspeed and so on comes directly linked to this trim button on the yoke. In the ASK13 I‘ve had to reach for a little handle that needed some force to adjust just a little and I used it basically for just few phases: winch launch, thermals, straight flight, landing. The nose came up and down with the stick. 

C172: little trim wheel below the throttle. You had to reach for it. No nasty buttons on the yoke... there you learn a proper and intelligent trim setting. You don‘t want to crab it all the time... therefore you have a yoke.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

We do trimming with AP off, correct? That's how I do trimming after takeoff and when the plane is well trimmed I arm AP. After AP armed then no more trimming.

7 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

C172: little trim wheel below the throttle. You had to reach for it. No nasty buttons on the yoke... there you learn a proper and intelligent trim setting. You don‘t want to crab it all the time... therefore you have a yoke.

Not my experience at all... I learned to fly C-150/172/182 and the C414 with a hand on the trim wheel... I still prefer to use the trim wheel in lieu of electric trim when available.  You can actually fly the trim unless you are doing maneuvers.

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

Not my experience at all... I learned to fly C-150/172/182 and the C414 with a hand on the trim wheel... I still prefer to use the trim wheel in lieu of electric trim when available.  You can actually fly the trim unless you are doing maneuvers.

Yes, when you do a cross country flight, want to fly at 5000 ft and the fuel gets burned, the temperature changes and so on you will always have to do slight corrections to the nose. It would be pointless to actually push the yoke half a mm and then trim any forces off it... I would do the little "fuel corrections" with the wheel only, too. 

But when you overfly a big rail station with its thermals, then a cool forest and later on a large field you don't want to do this with your trim, although I would probably be quite fast to use my thumb button if I had one. And that's definitely not the purpose of the trim, to actually fly the plane manually.