Sign in to follow this  
Quijote

Export flight plans for RealityXP GTN750

Hi Dave,

I've been flying Xplane in VR and am returning to your program after a while away. I have started using the RealityXP GTN 750 and 650. Since ATC wants a filed flightplan for IFR, I have been using your program to create those. But when I go to export, all I get when I load the GTN750 is the departure and arrival airports - none of the intermediate waypoints and none of the SIDs or STARs. The GTN is an autopilot more than anything else and if I can't use it to follow the plan then I have to go back to the Laminar built in GPS, which is too small to read in VR. The GTN has a database which is not current with the AIRACs and so some waypoints will not appear on the GTN. Little NavMap generates custom lat-long waypoints in those circumstances. But that doesn't help because your ATC has gotten better and better. I really like that it is more forgiving of my errors than it used to be. I can use it even if it is not visible in the cockpit. I hope this is just a formatting problem...

Regards, Richard

Richard,

Sounds like you need to check the option on the FltPln tab of Config to export SID/STAR/Approach waypoints.

Or, you can export just the route and add the SID/STAR/Approach into the GTN based on what P2A plans.  This should work in most situations except you run the risk of the plane not flying the filed flight plan. 

Either way, the out of date data in the GTN might cause a problem, but the latter way lets the GTN use it's out of date data. 

Dave

Thanks Dave,

The darned GTN750 also ignored the intermediate waypoints. There were a few turns as your plan used existing intersections. Those didn't appear either. Today I will try a few more tests and see what comes through. Thanks for your speedy response..... I'll report back....

OK, I just opened P2A and loaded a saved plan. I noted that the box for save Sids and Stars was already checked. See photo. https://imgur.com/a/oBGOxQ7

When I opened the saved flightplan, all there was was this - exactly what the GTN750 shows - departure and destination: FPN/RI:F:LEJR:F:LEMD

Here is the configuration: https://imgur.com/a/oBGOxQ7

Edited by Quijote

Ahh.  Sorry, I was thinking you were exporting to the .fms format.

When exporting to the .gfp file type, only the Departure and Destination airports and the "enroute" waypoints are exported.  SIDs, STARs and Approaches should then be added in the GTN.

Try making a plan with 2 or 3 waypoints like KOAK BSR RZS KSNA. 

Use P2A's Autoplan to select the procedures.

Export the plan and you will get FPN/RI:F:KOAK:F:BSR:F:RZS:F:KSNA

Import into the GTN.  Then add the procedures that were selected by P2A.  They are displayed at the bottom of the flight plan under the SID/STAR/Appr buttons.

That should give you the same plan in the aircraft and P2A.

Sorry for the misunderstanding before.

Dave

Dave,

I will try the route you suggested, but as you see from the example I posted above, there are a bunch of "enroute" waypoints included in that route and none of them made it to the gfp file. I don't mind adding procedures later, but the enroute waypoints are important. Now, I will go and do your example to see if I get the result that you did. Perhaps it is the country. Perhaps you could do LEJR to LEMD and use autoplan to fill in the intermediate waypoints and see if you get what I got.....?

Back shortly....

In your LEJR-LEMD example, there are no en-route waypoints.  All waypoints are part of a SID, STAR or Approach.  That's why that plan only exports the 2 airports.

Dave

• Like 1

OK Dave, I tried your KOAK-KSNA combination 2 different ways. First I typed in the waypoints that you specified and then applied autoplan to that with sids and starts included. When I tried to load that into the GTN750 I got an error message and it refused to load. This was the contents of that flight plan:
FPN/RI:F:KOAK:F:BSR:F:RZS:F:SAGER.ILS - RW20R - I20R.Turn.. .ILS - RW20R - I20R.Turn.. :F:SAGER:F:KSNA   As you can see, it added another waypoint and a turn - but wouldn't load.
So I tried to enter just the waypoints you specified in your post - 2 airports and BSR and RZS. When  I tried to load that I got a little further, but the GTN locked the enroute waypoints and refused to use them. This was what was in the plan: FPN/RI:F:KOAK:F:BSR:F:RZS:F:KSNA  Here is the photo of the GTN https://imgur.com/a/g1WOpyN

So at this point, my only alternative is to type the waypoints into the GTN so that the plane will follow a course that ATC will accept. But export doesn't work......

Are you using the Export to GTN-gfp format in the Export screen?  That format does not even consider waypoints that are part of procedures, like the ILS and Turn.  Are you running the latest version of P2A - 2.5.0.3R3?  That might explain it as earlier versions may have attempted to export procedures.

As for the second flight plan, that is exactly what I got when I exported the full flight plan.  Your error message appears to indicate it does not like one of the waypoints - BSR or RZS.  Can you enter those manually?

If so, can you save the flight plan after you get it entered and post the contents so I can see what it looks like.  It's possible there is an error in the format.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi, I have 2.5.02. I'll update tomorrow... It's bedtime here.

Here is the flight plan..... I don't know how to insert the file, but here is a cut and paste from Notepad++

FPN/RI:F:KOAK:F:BSR:F:RZS:F:KSNA

I wrote that file without procedures - and GTN locked the enroute waypoints... refused to use them....

The same flight plan from Little NavMap reads: 

FPN/RI:F:KOAK:F:N36109W121385:F:N34306W119463:F:KSNA - That one loads with numbered waypoint enroute.
It would appear that LNM uses lat/long instead of named waypoints. Given that Garmin doesn't refresh their database from the AIRAC, but uses a proprietary database - it may be that they don't have waypoints named BSR and RZS. Tomorrow I will look and see. Yawnnnnnnnn......

Hi again,

I updated to the newest P2A and made the same plan as before. Here is a cut and paste from the flight plan:
FPN/RI:F:KOAK:F:BSR:F:RZS:F:KSNA

I will try to load it but expect the same result. I am coming to the conclusion that, to fly IFR, I need to use the old GPS and just have the GTN750 as a reference in the cockpit but with no connection to the autopilot. Then I can use your regular xplane flight plans which work perfectly. And the plane will be coordinated with P2A so that ATC is appropriate. When I fly VFR, then I can use the GTN750 for everything. I'm going to try that right now.....