Sign in to follow this  
tazz

VR Device Advice

Does a VR device like for example the Samsung Odyssey provide the same field of view as your naked eye? Is your peripheral vision limited like a computer monitor while in game?

-- tazz

No, all current VR devices have a limited field of view.  According to this both the Rift and the Vive have a horizontal FOV of 110 degrees, which is much less than the naked eye it around 180 degrees, IIRC.

Having used a Rift with P3D, both native and with FlyInside, I can say that the FOV isn't the problem.  Being able to turn your head makes up for that and you get used to it.  It's the low resolution that makes reading stuff in the cockpit challenging that's the current limiting factor for me.

• Like 1

I cannot compare other devices but the 4K Pimax is quite good for resolution although not 4K guality it is good enough if using native VR in P3Dv4.2. I used flyinside for awhile but hated the low resolution. P3D Native VR is much clearer and smooth on my system.

Instrument gages are clear to read but out the window things get a little blurry in the distance.

FOV is the same (I think) across all the available headsets as stated already.

I believe the new Pimax 8K headset has widened the FOV to 200 but not yet released.

This unit could be a game changer if it does what is advertised.

IM

9 hours ago, tazz said:

Does a VR device like for example the Samsung Odyssey provide the same field of view as your naked eye? Is your peripheral vision limited like a computer monitor while in game?

Not even close. It's like looking through goggles all the time. But as Rob said: the low resolution is the main problem.

2 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I believe the new Pimax 8K headset has widened the FOV to 200 but not yet released.

This unit could be a game changer if it does what is advertised.

I wonder what megapower-PC you need to compute all those pixels... It won't be a real game changer until we have PC's that are strong enough.

I think I'll stick with my TrackIR for now. Thanks guys!

-- tazz

14 hours ago, J van E said:

I wonder what megapower-PC you need to compute all those pixels... It won't be a real game changer until we have PC's that are strong enough.

Pimax uses a technology it calls "brainwarp" to lower the processing requirements.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So does oculus and more recently vive. Oculus' space warp and time warp technology are the industry leaders and with that we can barely reach usable rates in certain games even with some setting management.

To have a solid 90fps with true high resolution and wide fov will need some generational jumps in power.

I'm curious about the pimax 8k because I want to see if it lives up to the hype but so far based on their previous headset they are a couple of tiers below oculus and htc in technology.

Chris

21 hours ago, tutmeister said:

So does oculus and more recently vive.

Nope. Completely different tech. http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-brainwarp-technology/2811

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yes having read that I agree, totally different. It also seems to be a load of marketing speak and wishful thinking with no real description of exactly how it works. I've been reading various up to date reddits to try and find out more. Seems they can't even get the panels to work at 90hz properly and are pushing brainwarp as the magic bullet. The consensus seems to be that it won't really save much if any GPU time unless games specifically support it. Even interactions with pimax on forums are not leading to answers yet.

Asynchronous time and space warp actually do help low spec hardware achieve that all important 90hz in-headset frame rate.

Maybe it will be great but I doubt it because that resolution and field of view WILL just need more power than a current gen headset. We can barely do 90fps using asynchronous time warp and asynchronous space warp at current resolutions.