Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Antimal real time protection / Windows Defender high usage

Hi guys

Any tips for windows 10 virus protection

I have the antimalware running with p3d and it is taking up 30-40% of my CPU usage. 

I've looked into disabling it without success but one of the articles recommends a different antio virus which is less power consuming?

https://imgur.com/a/EsTFPzK

EsTFPzK

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I use Bitdefender Internet Security and Malwarebytes anti-malware and neither of them have any noticeable effect on performance whilst simming.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

I use Bitdefender Internet Security and Malwarebytes anti-malware and neither of them have any noticeable effect on performance whilst simming.

Do you pay subscriptions annually?

Alex Ridge

Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command, type regedit, and click OK to open the registry.
Browse the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

If you don't see DWORD DisableAntiSpyware, right-click on an empty space, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the key DisableAntiSpyware.
Double-click the newly created key, and set the value from 0 to 1.

Restart your computer to complete the task.
At any time, if you want to re-enable Windows Defender, you only need to follow the same steps, but this time, change the value on step 5 from 1 to 0. Then restart your computer to complete reverting the changes.

Sean Green

21 hours ago, aceridgey said:

Do you pay subscriptions annually?

I have a lifetime subscription for Malwarebytes and 3-years for Bitdefender - both highly recommended.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 6/7/2018 at 10:57 AM, sgreen91 said:

Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command, type regedit, and click OK to open the registry.
Browse the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

If you don't see DWORD DisableAntiSpyware, right-click on an empty space, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the key DisableAntiSpyware.
Double-click the newly created key, and set the value from 0 to 1.

Restart your computer to complete the task.
At any time, if you want to re-enable Windows Defender, you only need to follow the same steps, but this time, change the value on step 5 from 1 to 0. Then restart your computer to complete reverting the changes.

To be honest, to do this every single time to just be able to do a flight is a little extreme for me. Looking into the third party options like Vortex above.

Is it worth asking Microsoft of is that just a waste of time?

Alex Ridge

Alex, AV-Comparatives is one of the best respected antivirus testing sites: https://www.av-comparatives.org. Take a look at the results of their latest real-world protection and performance tests. It's important to check them both out as you'll see that the app which has the least system impact is not the most effective at protecting you. My personal choice, Bitdefender, consistently gives good protection with a low performance hit. It has an automatic game mode which uses hardly any system resources when running.

Edited by vortex681

I just keep mine disabled permanently.  I've run without any antivirus for 20 years so I never worry about it.

Sean Green

On 9 June 2018 at 12:20 PM, sgreen91 said:

I just keep mine disabled permanently.  I've run without any antivirus for 20 years so I never worry about it.

Not recommended, particularly if you ever connect to the Internet. How do you know that your system is clean? Not all malware has a noticeable effect on performance.

I had a perfect example of this a few years ago. I was helping a friend, who also didn't use antivirus/antimalware, with a hardware-related problem. Because it's something I always check, I ran a system scan before I started and found two trojans - worryingly one was a key logger. He had no idea that either of them was there and hadn't noticed any change in system performance. The subsequent hassle of having to change all of his passwords, credit cards and bank account access details convinced him of the value of malware protection.

If you have no Internet connection you're probably safe. However, even importing data via CD-ROM or USB stick puts your system at risk. On a modern system a good antivirus app uses up very little of your system resources and protects you (and your friends, if you ever email them) from potentially serious problems. I wonder how many people who suffered with the WannaCry ransomeware attack last year had no (or out of date) antivirus.

Edited by vortex681

--

So for anyone wondering what happened here, it was chaseplane! An update for chaseplane came out not so long ago specifically referencing this and provided a fix.

Alex Ridge