Sign in to follow this  
caspar777

A few starter questions about PMDG 777-200

Having come from X-Plane's Flight Factor 777, I wanted to get set up with Prepar3d so I can finally check out PMDG.

It's clearly even more realistic, because I seem to be less capable of operating it :) Here are some questions I have, even after researching for ages:

1. When loading fuel through FMC GROUND OPERATIONS page, the center fuel tank never loads. All the fuel just goes into the left and right tank. Why is, and how would I load it into all 3 tanks evenly?

2. Does PMDG GROUND OPERATIONS not actually have any visuals (push trucks, fuel trucks, etc), or could I just have a setting set incorrectly? It is weird being pushed back by an invisible push truck. If not, I have seen GSX, which apparently does not work well with PMDG. 

3. When being pushed back, I cannot steer it. My joystick controls ailerons and auto-rudder (it does not have a twist axis for rudder). How can my cheap joystick be linked to the nose wheel to steer?

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of the above.

Welcome to the PMDG forums, please note their rules ask us to always sign our full names on all posts. Most of us set up a signature in our settings to do this automatically.

1. The wing tanks must be full before loading fuel in the center tank.

2. PMDG didn't start creating ground service vehicles until the QOTSII, their newest product, and I played with ground operations but I never use it.  I use GSX for pushback.

3. You do not control the nose wheel when it is locked out and connected to a tug.  That would be a serious accident if the hydraulics had a confrontation with the ground service crew.

Be sure to browse the Introduction to learn at least what is in there and you really really should fly the tutorial, especially if you have experience in a 777 simulation that does not have the fidelity of the PMDG product.  You may have a lot to unlearn.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, caspar777 said:

1. When loading fuel through FMC GROUND OPERATIONS page, the center fuel tank never loads. All the fuel just goes into the left and right tank. Why is, and how would I load it into all 3 tanks evenly?

This is how just about any, and every aircraft will be loaded. The simple version is that it's a weight distribution thing. Putting it in the center, but not the wings, adds a bunch of stress to the wings (as the center is effectively dead weight, whereas the weight in the wings is at least stored in a lifting surface).

Max the wings first, then the body - just about always (depending on the plane).

2. Does PMDG GROUND OPERATIONS not actually have any visuals (push trucks, fuel trucks, etc), or could I just have a setting set incorrectly? It is weird being pushed back by an invisible push truck. If not, I have seen GSX, which apparently does not work well with PMDG. 

What Dan said.

3. When being pushed back, I cannot steer it. My joystick controls ailerons and auto-rudder (it does not have a twist axis for rudder). How can my cheap joystick be linked to the nose wheel to steer?

What Dan said.

I'll also echo his mention of the Intro Manual. Extremely important stuff in there - especially if you're coming from a different sim platform.

Kyle Rodgers