Sign in to follow this  
Roadburner426

PMDG Announced Global Flight Operations at FSE 2018

Seeing as a lot of people seemed to have connection issues I will post this to tell you guys what he said. The big announcement is a product called Global Flight Operations. It will integrate with the new Operations Center 2.0, and basically it will work like a library for airplanes (simple terms). So basically you will go in to Op Center, and check out a specific airframe serial number that then can not be used by anyone else. You will start up with the airplane wherever the person who checked it out before you left off. You can then fly the plane to a destination of your choice, and then shut the plane down (or leave it in any state you want!) and check it back in. The plane will then be back on the Op center server for someone else to check out from the destination you left it at, and continue flying it. Hours, wear & tear will accumulate on the airframes on a per airframe basis. So it will track hours and such for each serial number. He said it will also allow you to select any livery that the plane was ever flown it. So say serial number 1 was a 744 that was owned by United, but had multiple paint schemes and later was converted to a freighter you will have all of those liveries to choose from. It also has a built in ACARS sim that will give you real time METARS, and simulates the ACARS VHF stations & satellites along with their reception spectrums. So you have to be within range of a station to actually receive/transmit data. I hope it makes sense, and it all sounds really cool to me. This product also will work with any airplane, but will be rolled out in 3 tiers. First tier is 744/748, 777, 737; next tier is the rest of PMDG products; third tier is going to be everything else. Hopefully they put the screens up from the slides at some point.

On a side note Robert did say if we kept a plane checked out/hogged it for ourselves that he would take it back! lol So don't be greedy and keep a plane checked out.

Edited by Roadburner426
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

That sounds the same system as was once available for use with the original Aerowinx 747

• Like 3

David Porrett

This sounds like fun! Never thought I would get so excited about a configuration management system!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mario Di Lauro

I respect the idea and efforts of PMDG, however I was hoping for something to enhance flying the aircraft and not operating it.

Alas, I am going to bookmark this topic and {insert Michael Jackson popcorn GIF/Meme}

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

- Ike Callaway

Gee this hobby is getting complicated.😵 Thanks for the update.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

I think this gives a purpose for their larger products for people like me who aren't part of VA's, but like the experience of flying larger airplanes. However by myself there is really no purpose in say flying a 777, or 747 by myself as that gets kind of boring. So to me this allows us to be part of something larger, and have a more realistic/defined purpose for flying the larger machines without the commitment of being part of a VA. I tried joining vUSAF years ago and rocked out of that. At least with this I can fly from point A to B, and then give the plane back to the community. Then pick it up again when I feel like it wherever it is at that time, or pick a whole new plane.

I was/am underwhelmed as well. I’m sure many will enjoy the product and PMDG will of course create a superb rendition, but this does nothing for me personally. I fly for a living and use FS as an escape of sorts, so recreating exactly what I deal with at work isn’t incredibly appealing, but I do wish them all the best and perhaps I will take a look once it has been released. To all those who do end up purchasing, I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Greetings all,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous poster, swood721.

I was hoping for something like a new ATC system/client for P3Dv4...

I have the PMDG B737/747 and love them. I will continue to support the company as much as I can. However, at first blush and at the risk of sounding a tad bit selfish/self-centered, his announcement does not hold any attraction for me. I've been involved with a VA since 2006 and became CEO of it in 2011, so for me this new "GPO" is not of any value.

I do wish PMDG the best of luck with this new endeavour and also to all of those who choose to utilize it.

Regards,

Scott

• Like 2

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

1 minute ago, ndflieger said:

I've been involved with a VA since 2006 and became CEO of it in 2011, so for me this new "GPO" is not of any value.

VA's can use the system as well. They can have their own back end and use the ACARS system to communicate with their pilots, as well as the part where location/hours/failures/state is tracked per airframe. Possibly other things, but I believe that's all he mentioned. He didn't give too much detail on this part, but I'd imagine there will be more in the future.

Doesn't seem like there would be a massive customer base clamoring for this.  Appears to be nichey to me.

I'm not so interested in 'doing it by the book' that this has any appeal to me.  Hopefully it's an optional feature.

Richard P. Kelly

Hi Chaos,

The Client that my VA subscribes to already keeps track of the airframe/engine/landing gear/hours since last maintenance etc...status. Still not seeing any attraction for this (at least for me).

I'd be interested in seeing what prompted this idea 10 years or so ago and why PMDG continued with it despite the ever changing flight simming/VA world.

Now, back to my PMDG B747F, enoute from MMMX to KMIA 🙂

Just my 2 cents,

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Very disappointing news and totally not worth the one month hype.. It is just a slight extension of what you do in Virtual Airlines or FSEconomy.. Nothing ground breaking.. Secret for 10 years? Come on.. 

For the average simmer who doesn't even enable failures, let alone persistent failures etc, it doesn't add much value.. It's just basically more paper work before you start flying.. Great.. Thanks.. 

I was hoping it will be a product that can solve the bigger issues every average Joe simmer is facing like poor performance with dynamic lighting etc or some new aircraft or new platform etc.. 

I'm not saying this is a bad feature.. Ya its sorta nice to have for some people who have the bandwidth to do that.. If I had seen this news as a casual news item on fselite, I'll be like "oh I see, good to know" .. But one month of hype over this.. Thats what makes it so disappointing.. And it's not just me.. Read the responses in other forums and news sites.. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

was anything said about the NG3?

• Upvote 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I’m not very interested in the “library”, but it will be interesting to see how the ACARS part unfolds. That and CPDLC have been something simmers have been interested in for a while. 

Eric Szczesniak