Sign in to follow this  
Roadburner426

PMDG Announced Global Flight Operations at FSE 2018

Major disappointment for me as well. Not worth all the pre-announcement hype, IMHO. I, like others, have those options (for the most part) already available but choose not to use them.

I am very surprised as I saw PMDG as being on a roll, turning out marvelous release after release. This has changed my opinion somewhat. 

However, time will tell. Prove me wrong.

Clear skies.

• Like 2

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

I’d have been jumping for joy at the news of say a PMDG-level 787 today but let’s not forget that RSR was pretty clear that this was a platform rather than an aircraft from the outset  

However this feature plugs a gap in the way that modern airliners are operated and indeed the datalink functionality is probably utilised more by the crew throughout the whole operation than any other system. In the words of our Captain Ashcraft when it comes to 90% of the systems on board - ‘works fine, lasts a long time’ but this is one area in which the crew are kept quite busy.

I can’t wait to try it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I am curious about the acronym CPDLC being thrown around. Was this term mentioned by RSR? Because CPDLC has nothing to do with ACARS traffic, or general messaging. It is datalink controlling by ATC. If so, it would be something big, and would require integration with online networks such as VATSIM, or the creation of your own ATC network. Has RSR mentioned this term specifically?

cheers,

• Upvote 1

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

3 hours ago, pmb said:

I followed a twitch stream, and after subtracting 50% nonsense comments nearly all of the remaining 50% being serious were disappointed, too, Obviously, the impression is not limited to this group. Also, the resonance in the audience was more polite than excited.

The environment may be appealing to some (not to me) but the hype during the previous weeks was much overdone. IMHO of course. 

Kind regards, Michael

Well I couldn't tell people's reaction from the stream... 

I can understand people disappointment. I certainly can. I just think it's a bit premature to wow thumbs down, when you haven't even tried the software. At least give PMDG the benefit of the doubt, in this regard. 

The hype - well, yes, PMDG did contribute to it - to a certain degree! But the far majority of hype came from the community itself, with it's speculation about what this announcement could/would be. 

You reap what you sow.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 minutes ago, xkoote said:

I am curious about the acronym CPDLC being thrown around. Was this term mentioned by RSR? Because CPDLC has nothing to do with ACARS traffic, or general messaging. It is datalink controlling by ATC. If so, it would be something big, and would require integration with online networks such as VATSIM, or the creation of your own ATC network. Has RSR mentioned this term specifically?

cheers,

Interesting. Didn't catch CPDLC from his announcement - could very well have missed it, though! Is that being developed too?

Edited by Anders Bermann

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

Interesting. Didn't catch CPDLC from his announcement - could very well have missed it, though! Is that being developed too?

Well, that is my question actually. I see it in the various posts on the forum, but I don’t know if RSR mentioned. Might be the fog of post presentation banter 🤣

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

12 hours ago, Roadburner426 said:

On a side note Robert did say if we kept a plane checked out/hogged it for ourselves that he would take it back! lol So don't be greedy and keep a plane checked out.

I was never taught how to share :P

So I can take a 747 out if the fleet and fly  it to Antarctica and leave it there for some poor sole to recover.  Can't wait!

• Like 2

Paul Gugliotta

Just now, paulyg123 said:

So I can take a 747 out if the fleet and fly  it to Antarctica and leave it there for some poor sole to recover.  Can't wait!

I LOVE the way you think! LMAO 😈

I fly an average of 14 VA flights a week. The VA I fly for has schedules from almost every major airline, all over the world to chose from, and usually I pick a flight from the last airport I landed at to one about 3-500 miles away. . I fly the NGX and Q400. I can find no reason to use this new product at all. Sounds like a real hassle. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

5 minutes ago, paulyg123 said:

I doubt you will be forced to fly it from where it was left. That would be far too restricting and you could easily override it. 

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I fly an average of 14 VA flights a week. The VA I fly for has schedules from almost every major airline, all over the world to chose from. I fly the NGX and Q400. I can find no reason to use this new product at all. Sounds like a real hassle. 

I'm up to 20 Myself so far this month. soon to be 21 soon as I land this current flight....I can't see Myself using it either...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I fly an average of 14 VA flights a week. The VA I fly for has schedules from almost every major airline, all over the world to chose from. I fly the NGX and Q400. I can find no reason to use this new product at all. Sounds like a real hassle. 

Seems you’ve missed the point of it.

ki9cAAb.jpg

14 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Yes, it was mentioned at the start of the GFO bit.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Just now, kevinh said:

Seems you’ve missed the point of it.

OK, explain the "point" to me. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS