Sign in to follow this  
Roadburner426

PMDG Announced Global Flight Operations at FSE 2018

Agreed be patient and wait for further official information

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

6 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'm sure the presentation gives some information as to what GFO offers, but unfortunately, I don't have time to sit and watch a video that's however long it is, especially knowing that I will most likely miss something and have to go back and replay it, which eats up more time. It's far more easier for me to read an official announcement on the forum, and that way, I can read it at my own pace. I'd like to think I could find a use for GFO, but it's hard to say at this point without more information.

I agree. I'm sure they will make an announcement and have presentation when it's time for it. They never show stuff before its ready to be shown.

Joona Väisänen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

7 hours ago, DavidP said:

I remain to be convinced that it suits what I want. Maybe it will when I read feedback or see more information, but to brand people who have similar doubts as "moaners" or "whiners" is a bit offensive.

David,

Your message completely vindicates the epithet ‘moaner’, I’m afraid. You do not have the automatic right to be delighted by everything PMDG makes and criticising them for making a product that may not fit into your simming picture is moaning. If you’d bought the product and it was defective, you’d be entitled to moan, definitely. I will never buy a DC6 for the sim as it’s not an aircraft I would ever use. But I did not come on here going “ waaah, PMDG, what the hell are you making a DC6 for?”. It’s like going to a supermarket and going “NOOO! You’re selling celery?! I HATE CELERY!”

Just put the celery down and go and find something you do like ( the 748 in your case).

Anyway, originally had no intention of engaging in this. Does anyone know if this is subscription based or one-off price?

I am quite prepared to wait for the product announcement and some early feedback before making my purchase decision (although my faith in PMDG makes my purchase highly likely). Until then I shall remain interested in any information that PMDG may provide and in potential customers' comments about likely functions.

I am certainly not going to make rash decisions before its announcement.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

14 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Can you explain why you think this?

See above. Do you have a specific reason?

I do, this is a hobby, the last thing i want is to get home and be conditioned to do something like i've been doing at work all day. I want freedom to fly from and to where i want to, without something or someone dictating how i do it. Perhaps some people will find it interesting, i'd be bored in no time like most my friend pilots are.

If i do want to get 'realistic', my VA already provides enough for me to have my hands full.

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

11 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Yeah, I'm in the same position as you with this one. I'll certainly get the 747-8 when it comes out. As for GFO, I need clarification on something first, which I asked, but never quite got that confirmation, so hard to say with this one. Unfortunately, it sounds like I might not be able to use it given the way I fly.

I'm sure the presentation gives some information as to what GFO offers, but unfortunately, I don't have time to sit and watch a video that's however long it is, especially knowing that I will most likely miss something and have to go back and replay it, which eats up more time. It's far more easier for me to read an official announcement on the forum, and that way, I can read it at my own pace. I'd like to think I could find a use for GFO, but it's hard to say at this point without more information.

About half of the presentation is devoted to GFO. I watched it streamed live but I don’t think 30 minutes is excessive if you really want to find out what it’s about now. No doubt there will be a formal announcement to read soon enough.

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

Gents,

I'm going to say something that may seem odd on the surface, until you dig down a bit, but...

Quit sniping at each other.

As someone who had to suffer through the bow wave of a bunch of negativity online, I was pleased to see the support increasing. All the same, those supportive of the concept, I ask that you temper the shots at those who don't understand it - or outright don't want it - as much as I asked them to temper their own posts for various reasons right after our announcement. Ideally, people wouldn't blend opinion and actual fact, but it's a natural human thing when humans want something to be a certain way. There's literally no reason to criticize either side - for or against.

Personally, I hate running. I think it's slow, stupid, hurts my knees, lungs, brain...the entirety of my being. I see no point in doing it, and I find the culture to be a bit weird. All the same, if someone gets a great high, workout, and/or zen moment from it, more power to them. I'm a cyclist. I'll ride a bike for 60+ miles in a single ride, or I'll ride a bike that doesn't move in a dark room with some friends and music that's a shade too loud. Some of my runner friends think it's stupid, but they also appreciate function that it serves - it's the same as theirs: it's my workout, and zen moment. All the while, we all give each other a hard time for liking something that we find odd, but it's always in good fun.

That's not to say you need to be nice about your opinion of something - the word I use when I refer to running is 'hate', after all - all the same, just keep it factual, and don't snipe at each other. If it's not for you, it's not for you. I'm always curious to hear why (particularly if I can correct a misunderstanding of what it is), but I literally won't tell someone they're wrong for not wanting something.

• Like 3

Kyle Rodgers

I'm not sure how popular the "persistent universe" would be especially with a monthly subscription fee, but getting ACARS/CPDLC to work with online ATC would be great. (Actually I correctly guessed that back in April

Maybe a purely single-player option could be introduced for ACARS/CPDLC i.e. talking to yourself via datalink for the more online ATC-shy folks.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, BillC said:

I'm obviously not getting something about this but WHY? What could I possibly ask AI via CPDLC that could be of any value? I'm not being deliberately obtuse but I just cannot see what benefit such a facility would deliver and therefore why anyone would spend their time developing it?

I have only just seen this thread when looking to see when the long promised J41 P3D update would be coming.

I totally agree with Bill here. PMDG have always been very good (not cheap - but good) at producing exactly the right quality aircraft with sufficient realism yet easy enough for the sim community to fly and love them. Why on earth have they deviated from their core success stories to develop something that will definitely have limited appeal?  Most of us that fly with VAs and have the other "bells and whistles" on the market have most of what this product will offer.

Is there some other agenda here that we are all missing? Or is this simply a bad call business wise as it would appear on the surface? 

Whatever the reason we are led to understand that this project is diverting development resource from the other update projects (such as the J41) for which they know there is a defined and waiting market.

Very strange.

301200 - Global + Vector, 303039 - Open LC EU + England, 317055 - Scotland, 325640 - Southampton, 345294 - Wales, 350530 - Ireland, 378458 - Norway, 379681 - Sumburgh, 406229 - Open LC North America, Alaska and Canada, 439617 - Australia SP4, 447800 - NZ North Island, 447804 - NZ South Island

Tony,

There is a need to support CPDLC in our sims in order to mirror real-world developments.

The aviation industry is investing a great deal into the roll-out of CPDLC so your claims appear to show that you have not yet understood the major advantages of the programs.

CPDLC will significantly reduce voice interactions between ATC and pilots and enable auto-updating of FMC flight details. Pre-departure clearances can become commonplace among other things.

A comprehensive description of the CPDLC facilities are given here.

I hope this helps😃

Edited by Richard McDonald Woods

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

5 hours ago, Tony C said:

Most of us that fly with VAs and have the other "bells and whistles" on the market have most of what this product will offer.

And what about those of us that DON'T fly with virtual airlines that have all these "bells and whistles."

5 hours ago, Tony C said:

Whatever the reason we are led to understand that this project is diverting development resource from the other update projects

Supposedly not the case.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:10 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Personally, I hate running. I think it's slow, stupid, hurts my knees, lungs, brain...the entirety of my being.

Kyle,

Some how I don't think you would have enjoyed going through Ranger school with me.  🤣

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

15 hours ago, Tony C said:

Why on earth have they deviated from their core success stories to develop something that will definitely have limited appeal?

You do realize that our original business was writing manuals, right?

If only we'd listened to this kind of opinion back then...

So...might you perhaps want to revise that opinion and take a moment to try to understand that we might actually know what we're doing when we branch out into new markets, and new ideas?

Most of us that fly with VAs and have the other "bells and whistles" on the market have most of what this product will offer.

I'd say "stick with those then," but I'd be telling you to stick with something vastly subpar by the new standard that is about to be set. I mean...up to you...

Is there some other agenda here that we are all missing? Or is this simply a bad call business wise as it would appear on the surface?

I started working on this project, alone, without any pull from any of the aircraft teams. Much like your last hot take, this one is just as ridiculous.

No aircraft were harmed in the development of this product.TM

7 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Some how I don't think you would have enjoyed going through Ranger school with me.  🤣

haha - I'm sure. I'll swim for miles, and bike for dozens of miles. Run more than a 400? NahI'mgood...

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Haven’t seen a single thing about this since it was announced ....a year ago?...nothing, apart from dry boring text.

is there really not a single screen shot or anything at all to prove it actually exists?

you may recall Kyle, in a previous conversation, “that it’s ready, when it’s ready” doesn’t cut it anymore in the fast paced world we live in now.

people wanna know, if you don’t inform your quickly kicked to the kirb.

been waiting a year to see something, but nothing.

getting bored now. 

Luke Pype

7 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

Haven’t seen a single thing about this since it was announced ....a year ago?...nothing, apart from dry boring text.

is there really not a single screen shot or anything at all to prove it actually exists?

you may recall Kyle, in a previous conversation, “that it’s ready, when it’s ready” doesn’t cut it anymore in the fast paced world we live in now.

people wanna know, if you don’t inform your quickly kicked to the kirb.

been waiting a year to see something, but nothing.

getting bored now. 

They did post an update on July 12th, which can be found on their new forum. You most likely won't find anything on here.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.