Sign in to follow this  
hohum

Hey PMDG. Here's an idea

4 hours ago, aentwis said:

I have hated the concept of software as a service for years. I like to pay once for the base and I will only use a subscription-based model for added value. I virtually tore my hair out when Adobe went to their creative cloud monthly package stuff... it totally screwed with my workflows to the point I had to scrap any ideas of upgrading and look for potential replacements...

Yeaaaahhhh...

I got a copy of CS5, and just stuck with it.

SaaS can be nice, provided (as RSR alluded) the software is continuously updated with new features, updates, and so on. There's a very fine line between getting money to be able to provide an ever-evolving software offering, and simply grabbing at money.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

8 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Yeaaaahhhh...

I got a copy of CS5, and just stuck with it.

SaaS can be nice, provided (as RSR alluded) the software is continuously updated with new features, updates, and so on. There's a very fine line between getting money to be able to provide an ever-evolving software offering, and simply grabbing at money.

Right on!  There's another word for 'simply grabbing money' and it's called greed. 

There is a usually a very different need between those who purchase software for use at home (e.g. as a hobby) and those who must rely on it for their profession or business.  The former are likely to be more willing to pay for a one-off purchase or licence and then only upgrade occassionally whenever a new feature makes it worthwhile; whereas the latter are more likely to require software that is always up to date in order to remain competitive.  

For me, two of the most important considerations when buying software is value for money and is it bug free. That's why I normally wait for at least version 3 of anything to come out and, having enjoyed the original PMDG B744 DVD version, why I like the QoTS v3 even more!

Bertie G 

I for one think this would be a fantastic idea (I do actually work in SaaS).  PMDG would definitely have more of my money if they did this

I bought the NGX, because I knew I would fly it a lot.  However, I have not bought the 747 or the 777's simply because of the cost and the fact that I wasn't sure how much I'd fly a heavy.  If I could rent one out for a few bucks an hour, $10-20 a day, or whatever, I guarantee PMDG would have received at least an extra one or two hundred dollars from just me.  Heck, I probably would have rented it a couple times, then bought it at full price anyway. I can't be the only one that would use a service like this.

Seems like a new and substantial revenue stream for the good folks at PMDG, plus a way to get the product out to folks that are on the fence