Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

JustFlight Spitfire vs. A2A Spitfire

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare the Spitfire Mk1/II offered by JustFlight and A2A. They are both early model Spitfires from the Battle of Britain period and both seem absolutely excellent. JF make a fully functional demo available and I loved it but the A2A version, though it's been on the market longer, seems to have an even better VC and flight dynamics. Both are real winners so I'm not wanting to seem like I'm being critical of either, but I am curious if anyone has been able to try both and if so, how would you compare them?

Edited by kiwiflyer45

28 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

What about the Real Air Spitfire?

It is excellent!

Kind regards,

Stephen

Is it still even available? and for v4??

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Is it still even available? and for v4??

There was a boxed version of the Real Air Spitfire produced for FSX and an online search reveals there are some available for purchase. It was not however developed for v4 as far as I know as Real Air unfortunately went out of business before then. 

I have the Real Air version and I agree it is excellent, as were all their aircraft. The understandable closure of that developer was one of the biggest losses the serious flightsim community has ever suffered and although I was hoping another quality developer might take over their products, sadly that never happened.

Bill

• Like 2

The Rea Air Spitfire works perfectly in P3Dv4 and looks like it could have been released tomorrow. Excellent in all respects and am unaware of a single fault, seriously!

Kind regards,

Stephen

Edited by SpiritFlyer

Did Realair make a Mk I and Mk II?  They made the Mk IX and Griffon engined  Mk XIV for sure....  I have that one.

ngxu_banner.png

9 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

The Rea Air Spitfire works perfectly in P3Dv4 and looks like it could have been released tomorrow. Excellent in all respects and am unaware of a single fault, seriously!

Kind regards,

Stephen

Good to know I can take it with me when I make the move to v4!

7 hours ago, ailchim said:

Did Realair make a Mk I and Mk II?  They made the Mk IX and Griffon engined  Mk XIV for sure....  I have that one.

I too have the later Spitfire versions - don’t think they ever produced the MK I or II though as I thought I had purchased all of their products.

Bill

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:59 AM, SpiritFlyer said:

What about the Real Air Spitfire?

It is excellent!

Kind regards,

Stephen

I had it for FS9 and loved it but was caught by surprise when Real Air stopped selling their products. I had intended to get the FSX version but somehow hadn't got around to it. I very much regret that as it was that very rare gem - an excellent aircraft to fly, a realistic period airfield to fly it from and AI Spitfire to fly alongside of. A total package. I wish other developers would follow that model, especially with military aircraft from various eras for which there is often no decent scenery or AI....

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:32 AM, scianoir said:

There was a boxed version of the Real Air Spitfire produced for FSX and an online search reveals there are some available for purchase. It was not however developed for v4 as far as I know as Real Air unfortunately went out of business before then. 

I have the Real Air version and I agree it is excellent, as were all their aircraft. The understandable closure of that developer was one of the biggest losses the serious flightsim community has ever suffered and although I was hoping another quality developer might take over their products, sadly that never happened.

Bill

I had no idea there ever was a boxed version. If I can find one, I will be buying it. Still doesn't quite answer my question though, as the RAS version is the later, highly developed XIV and in the FSX version, also the MK IX. The A2A and the JF Spitfires are the early version, with the JF being the MKI and the A2A the MKII, which if I remember correctly, wasn't much different and was introduced into production late in the Battle of Britain.

I suppose another aspect of the question might be "Is the A2A worth the extra $20?" as it is more expensive than the JF version....

ps. I've never quite understood why no developer has ever given us the penultimate Spitfire, the MkVIII. With a retractable tail wheel and larger, pointed rudder, it was aesthetically the most attractive of them all IMO and apparently was the best to fly. It retained the handling of the earlier versions with the more refined technology and greater power of the later versions...

Thanks Bill. I had no idea there was a boxed version of the RAS Spitfire. I just went on Amazon, found it and it should arrive in the mail in a few days!!! Awesome!!!!

That doesn't mean I still won't be buying either the A2A or JF Spitfire in the future - but now I can let my credit card cool down until one of them is on sale! :biggrin:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

I had no idea there ever was a boxed version. If I can find one, I will be buying it. Still doesn't quite answer my question though, as the RAS version is the later, highly developed XIV and in the FSX version, also the MK IX. The A2A and the JF Spitfires are the early version, with the JF being the MKI and the A2A the MKII, which if I remember correctly, wasn't much different and was introduced into production late in the Battle of Britain.

I suppose another aspect of the question might be "Is the A2A worth the extra $20?" as it is more expensive than the JF version....

ps. I've never quite understood why no developer has ever given us the penultimate Spitfire, the MkVIII. With a retractable tail wheel and larger, pointed rudder, it was aesthetically the most attractive of them all IMO and apparently was the best to fly. It retained the handling of the earlier versions with the more refined technology and greater power of the later versions...

I just did a check and my Real Air versions are from the Mark IX to the Mark XVI, that appeared in Feb. 1945 (I think). Since that is the case I expect I have not flown the earlier versions whatsoever, so can not really compare with either the Just Flight or A2A rendered models. I am sure they are excellent renditions as well.

Really miss Real Air, although I still fly everything they ever made once in awhile. Love the last few in particular, especially the Lancair and Duke Turbine. They are my go-to planes if I need a pick me up, but actually the Spit is at the same level of quality, even though produced (how many?) years earlier. Wonderful discussion...

Kind regards,

Stephen

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, SpiritFlyer said:

Really miss Real Air, although I still fly everything they ever made once in awhile. Love the last few in particular, especially the Lancair and Duke Turbine. They are my go-to planes if I need a pick me up, but actually the Spit is at the same level of quality, even though produced (how many?) years earlier. Wonderful discussion...

Me too! The Turbine Duke is my go-to GA turboprop and there is arguably still nothing better than it in that category. Their Citabria is another favourite of mine and of excellent quality, although again it is a very old product of theirs. I am perhaps a little biased though as I learned to fly in the RW on that aircraft.

I note from your earlier post that you use the Real Air Spitfire in P3Dv4 - does the Turbine Duke also work on that platform?

Bill

• Like 1

Have you thought about getting a free copy of DCS and buying the Spitfire and Normandy scenery?

Not only will you get more realistic flight dynamics and systems,you’ll also get a realistic WW2 combat environment to fly it in the way it was intended to be.

Going back to the Real Air discussion , although running P3D v4 I’ve some cardboard boxes full of FSX software that’s been staring at me for the last couple of months including a fleet of Real Air aircraft. Yesterday I finally gave in and bought FSX SE primarily to fly the RA duke again, not installed any add ons yet so I too would be very interested to learn if I can get the Real Air stuff to work in P3D v4 without messing things up.

cheers

jon 

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I have been going through some of my (paper) notes for Real Air and checking my storage drives for Real Air products and data relevant to this portion of the discussion. Will post shortly, but I think we need to pull in a wider readership.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Edited by SpiritFlyer