Sign in to follow this  
RKillins

New User - LINDA Installation & Setup

I have discovered that LINDA can offer me great flexibility in controls for my aircraft when combined with FSUIPC. I've got all the prerequisites and have been following 'brian747's excellent beginner's manual as I plunge into this new adventure.

I have come across a few questions in the initial aspects that I haven't esily found answers to ...

1) General question ... is LINDA meant to run along with FSX? ie when FSX is running so is LINDA (the .exe)

2) Installation preparation question ... in brian747's document it states "the Linda manual also suggests editing the standard .xml file to remove all exisiting assignments". To clarify. this is just joystick assignments ... not keyboard / mouse assignments that precede the hardware assignments in the standard.xml file. They should remain in the file and saved only after edits to the joystick section(s) as illustrated in the Linda manual?

3) Setup question - do I need to be running FSX while I install and configure LINDA? I am receiveing indication from LINDA that their is action required in my Flt Sim / FSUIPC configs. I am being advised that "Flt Sim or FSUIPC not running" and that I should "Check FSUIPC version". I have executed LINDA in both states, with FSX running and FSX not running. I get these messages in both cases. What must I do to overcome this? brian747's manual doesn't appear to mention whether FSX should or shouldn't be running (I'm assuming not) nor how to deal with Flt Sim / FSUIPC config deficiencies.

Thank you all in advance!

RM Killins

Hi

Welcome to LINDA. 

1. FSUIPC (full version) and LINDA should be running at all times you are using your Flt Sim. You can minimise LINDA if you don’t need to change any assignments.

2. There are no .xml files used by LINDA. It is recommended that you remove any button assignments inside your Flt Sim and replace these with those in LINDA. I have all my P3D assignments disabled and rely on FSUIPC (for axes and Pan View) and LINDA for all buttons actions.

3. It is best to have your Flt Sim and LINDA running when making assignments. This ensures that they are sync-ed to the specific aircraft and allows you to test that they work. If you want buttons to be assigned to all aircraft then first load a default aircraft before doing anything. If you are not seeing the version of Flt Sim and/or FSUIPC displayed on the Settings page with the Flt Sim running then something is wrong. Check that you have a full (paid) version of FSUIPC and try clicking on Reload Lua Engine. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thank you Andrew. All is good now. It appears I had been using an outdated FSUIPC.

So, for clarification of question #2, are you suggesting I get rid of the keyboard and mouse references in the standard.xml file in addition to the joystick references (explicitly advised in the manual)?

RM Killins

Glad to have helped. If the Flt Sim joystick button assignment are stored in an .xml file then yes. However, I have always used the Flt Sim Controls menu to remove assignments or to disable all. This is much safer than deleting or editing any files where the values are stored. You can cause untold damage and bugger up your setup if you make a mistake. 

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew