Whilst I patiently wait for news on Honeycomb Aeronautical’s throttle quadrant I’m looking at alternatives and came across Throttletek. A fellow enthusiast pointed me to their Learjet unit which on closer inspection looks to be a viable alternative albeit at greater cost.

http://throttletek.com/lear-45-g-throttle/

They produce units for several aircraft but I’m looking for a single solution for the (currently) three aircraft I fly. PC-12, Learjet 25 and Concorde. As this unit has only two throttles it should be possible to use FSUIPC to assign the two left engines to throttle 1 and the right pair to throttle 2. For the other aircraft each engine can be assigned a single axis.

The website makes no mention of whether pots or Hall-effect sensors are used so I’m going to assume it’s pots as I’m sure they would mention hall-effect if they used them. I find it quite exasperating that this technology is not embraced by manufacturers when they know pots, whatever their quality, will eventually cause problems. Are Hall-effect sensors really that expensive or difficult to include in the design? 🙄 I’ve written to them asking a few questions so their answers will help.

PC Pilot reviewed one of their units and gave it a “Classic” award, the highest available which suggests they’re good quality. But I don’t see them being discussed much here. If they’re heavy enough to sit on a desk and not move when used them they look a really good option.

If you have one I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts and how you integrate it into your home system. Alternatively if you’re considering one feel free to chip in. 🙂

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

"a viable alternative to Honeycomb?" but at MUCH greater cost! There are a few other alternative throttles at much less cost than the Throttletek:

https://www.fsxthrottle.com/?page_id=481#!/TwinPro/p/78782836/category=0

https://goflightinc.com/product/tq6/

https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/shop/controls/tq6-hands-on-for-real

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I accept my link was a lot more expensive but it does look a serious bit of kit.

Going through the ones you linked to the first looks as cheap as chips and not really an upgrade on what I have now. Extra for painting? 🙄

I've played with the GoFlight a couple of times but was never taken by it. Lots of lateral movement and no real feel of quality given the price.

The problem with the last one is I rarely fly twin-engine props which is what that's designed for. The solidity of the Learjet throttles really appeals but I accept it's expensive. But it could provide a final solution for the throttle question.

I'd lose the buttons the Logitech has but I could swap a GoFlight T8 for a P8 and get most of those back.

BTW, I'd rather address you by your name? Got one? :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

56 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

BTW, I'd rather address you by your name? Got one?

Yes, but I'm a little paranoid about my privacy - I'm sorry if you find that unacceptable. I hope you don't consider my posts any less valid as a result.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Yes, but I'm a little paranoid about my privacy - I'm sorry if you find that unacceptable. I hope you don't consider my posts any less valid as a result.

Not even a first name in your sig? It's not that I find it unacceptable, just easier to refer to you by a name than a handle.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Vortex is fine. For reasons I won't go in to, it had some significance in the real world for several years. It all adds to the mystery!

The thot plickens! :biggrin: Vortex will have to do then. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

$999 is not a "viable alternative"

Edited by adf

Ryzen 9 3950X / RTX 2080 Ti / 32GB DDR4 (3200MHz @ 14-14-14-34)

14 minutes ago, adf said:

$999 is not a "viable alternative"

What is then?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

What is then?

I'm not sure, I just feel like the whole purpose of the Honeycomb project was to deliver quality flight controls at an affordable price. In my opinion, $999 for just a throttle setup (albeit a nice one) is not affordable for the average simmer, myself included.

Ryzen 9 3950X / RTX 2080 Ti / 32GB DDR4 (3200MHz @ 14-14-14-34)

@adf, I’m not disagreeing with you. Just scouring the web for all the alternatives available.

I’m starting to have misgivings about the Honeycomb throttle quadrant simply because of zero news about it. I know they have been modifying the yoke but there’s nothing about the throttle.

And in their desire to keep the price to $200 there are constant changes to the yoke design and I’m wondering if the same might apply to the throttle.

We pay $2000 for a PC capable of running P3D so spending half that on something that should last 10 years could be considered an investment.

I have GoFlight modules that are 15 years old and still fine. Quality kit lasts.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I made some inquiries regarding the B747 quadrant a month or two ago and found dealing with them very good.

They were very professional in every way.  I haven’t ordered anything yet because the quadrant was a little pricey for me just right now and I need a little more time to convince the other half I need one.

IM

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Iceman2, that’s reassuring. I’ve it heard back from them yet. Mine is still a tentative investigation. It is a lot of money but then again, I have spent big money on other things in life and not regretted it. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten is something my old man told me and he was dead right.

The 747 unit is double that if the others so requires serious thought. It’s a pity we can’t get to handle these things as it would help the decision making process.

Do you have a home cockpit or a desktop setup?

Please update us on your plans.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Do you have a home cockpit or a desktop setup

I just have a desktop with a VR headset.  Saving for the 747 throttle all though lately I’ve been enjoying flying around in the 777.

Torn between the 767 & the 747 quadrant. 😩

IM

Hello all,

Another one to look at is the FlightSimPM set up. It looks great and is listed at 660 euros so it is a better (cheaper) option than Throttletek.

FSXthrottles, (quatro pro) starting at USD249, depending on what you want is one that offers a twin or four jet set up and looks reasonably                                                            well made. Cheaper again, but not as cheap as the Honeycomb.

If you are looking at a quad engine, I really think even a Saitek/Logitech set up is more expensive than Honeycomb BUT it does include the yoke                                                        of course.

There are plenty of options but some (including my favourite FlightSimPM) are way out of my price target range.

I think Honeycomb will  be hard to beat if and when it comes on to the market and will be my preferred option.

Lots to think about though and good luck

Regards to you all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.