Ray Proudfoot

Throttletek - a viable alternative to Honeycomb?

Whilst I patiently wait for news on Honeycomb Aeronautical’s throttle quadrant I’m looking at alternatives and came across Throttletek. A fellow enthusiast pointed me to their Learjet unit which on closer inspection looks to be a viable alternative albeit at greater cost.

http://throttletek.com/lear-45-g-throttle/

They produce units for several aircraft but I’m looking for a single solution for the (currently) three aircraft I fly. PC-12, Learjet 25 and Concorde. As this unit has only two throttles it should be possible to use FSUIPC to assign the two left engines to throttle 1 and the right pair to throttle 2. For the other aircraft each engine can be assigned a single axis.

The website makes no mention of whether pots or Hall-effect sensors are used so I’m going to assume it’s pots as I’m sure they would mention hall-effect if they used them. I find it quite exasperating that this technology is not embraced by manufacturers when they know pots, whatever their quality, will eventually cause problems. Are Hall-effect sensors really that expensive or difficult to include in the design? 🙄 I’ve written to them asking a few questions so their answers will help.

PC Pilot reviewed one of their units and gave it a “Classic” award, the highest available which suggests they’re good quality. But I don’t see them being discussed much here. If they’re heavy enough to sit on a desk and not move when used them they look a really good option.

If you have one I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts and how you integrate it into your home system. Alternatively if you’re considering one feel free to chip in. 🙂

I accept my link was a lot more expensive but it does look a serious bit of kit.

Going through the ones you linked to the first looks as cheap as chips and not really an upgrade on what I have now. Extra for painting? 🙄

I've played with the GoFlight a couple of times but was never taken by it. Lots of lateral movement and no real feel of quality given the price.

The problem with the last one is I rarely fly twin-engine props which is what that's designed for. The solidity of the Learjet throttles really appeals but I accept it's expensive. But it could provide a final solution for the throttle question.

I'd lose the buttons the Logitech has but I could swap a GoFlight T8 for a P8 and get most of those back.

BTW, I'd rather address you by your name? Got one? :wink:

56 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

BTW, I'd rather address you by your name? Got one?

Yes, but I'm a little paranoid about my privacy - I'm sorry if you find that unacceptable. I hope you don't consider my posts any less valid as a result.

Edited by vortex681

5 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Yes, but I'm a little paranoid about my privacy - I'm sorry if you find that unacceptable. I hope you don't consider my posts any less valid as a result.

Not even a first name in your sig? It's not that I find it unacceptable, just easier to refer to you by a name than a handle.

Vortex is fine. For reasons I won't go in to, it had some significance in the real world for several years. It all adds to the mystery!

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

What is then?

I'm not sure, I just feel like the whole purpose of the Honeycomb project was to deliver quality flight controls at an affordable price. In my opinion, $999 for just a throttle setup (albeit a nice one) is not affordable for the average simmer, myself included.

@adf, I’m not disagreeing with you. Just scouring the web for all the alternatives available.

I’m starting to have misgivings about the Honeycomb throttle quadrant simply because of zero news about it. I know they have been modifying the yoke but there’s nothing about the throttle.

And in their desire to keep the price to $200 there are constant changes to the yoke design and I’m wondering if the same might apply to the throttle.

We pay $2000 for a PC capable of running P3D so spending half that on something that should last 10 years could be considered an investment.

I have GoFlight modules that are 15 years old and still fine. Quality kit lasts.

I made some inquiries regarding the B747 quadrant a month or two ago and found dealing with them very good.

They were very professional in every way.  I haven’t ordered anything yet because the quadrant was a little pricey for me just right now and I need a little more time to convince the other half I need one.

IM

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Iceman2, that’s reassuring. I’ve it heard back from them yet. Mine is still a tentative investigation. It is a lot of money but then again, I have spent big money on other things in life and not regretted it. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten is something my old man told me and he was dead right.

The 747 unit is double that if the others so requires serious thought. It’s a pity we can’t get to handle these things as it would help the decision making process.

Do you have a home cockpit or a desktop setup?

Please update us on your plans.

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Do you have a home cockpit or a desktop setup

I just have a desktop with a VR headset.  Saving for the 747 throttle all though lately I’ve been enjoying flying around in the 777.

Torn between the 767 & the 747 quadrant. 😩

IM

Hello all,

Another one to look at is the FlightSimPM set up. It looks great and is listed at 660 euros so it is a better (cheaper) option than Throttletek.

FSXthrottles, (quatro pro) starting at USD249, depending on what you want is one that offers a twin or four jet set up and looks reasonably                                                            well made. Cheaper again, but not as cheap as the Honeycomb.

If you are looking at a quad engine, I really think even a Saitek/Logitech set up is more expensive than Honeycomb BUT it does include the yoke                                                        of course.

There are plenty of options but some (including my favourite FlightSimPM) are way out of my price target range.

I think Honeycomb will  be hard to beat if and when it comes on to the market and will be my preferred option.

Lots to think about though and good luck

Regards to you all

Tony

7 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

I just have a desktop with a VR headset.  Saving for the 747 throttle all though lately I’ve been enjoying flying around in the 777.

Torn between the 767 & the 747 quadrant. 😩

IM

Thanks. That's the dilemma I have. The 747 would cover Concorde but is overkill for twin and single engine.

Still waiting to hear back from them.

@himmelhorse, thanks for that link. The 737 and 777 look quality units. And the pedestal could be a useful alternative to the desktop. I notice they have a UK outlet. Just a pity it's down in Sussex.

I currently have a Saitek yoke and two throttle quadrants. The yoke is 11 years old but still functioning. I had to replace both throttle quadrants as the old ones were spiking with the pots worn out.

What I need now is to find someone who owns the flightsimpm kit so I can hear what they think of it.

I'm not looking to purchase immediately. This is the start of looking at what's available so I can make an informed decision. It's a lot of money so I need to be sure of my decision.

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks. That's the dilemma I have. The 747 would cover Concorde but is overkill for twin and single engine.

Still waiting to hear back from them.

@himmelhorse, thanks for that link. The 737 and 777 look quality units. And the pedestal could be a useful alternative to the desktop. I notice they have a UK outlet. Just a pity it's down in Sussex.

I currently have a Saitek yoke and two throttle quadrants. The yoke is 11 years old but still functioning. I had to replace both throttle quadrants as the old ones were spiking with the pots worn out.

What I need now is to find someone who owns the flightsimpm kit so I can hear what they think of it.

I'm not looking to purchase immediately. This is the start of looking at what's available so I can make an informed decision. It's a lot of money so I need to be sure of my decision.

Hi Ray I know the dilemma! One word of caution is that once you go down the road of Quality controllers you can never go back to the cheap stuff it really does enhance the whole experience and is that much better. I do wish prices were less but then again Quality cost more. Good luck on your search.  Josh

• Upvote 1

Josh, thanks. It's certainly not a decision to be taken lightly. But having bought my GoFlight radio units plus switches and buttons 15 years ago at the National Motorcycle Museum show in Brum before it was sadly destroyed by fire they've lasted me really well.

I might go to the Lelystad show with Pete D again this year. They have loads of exhibitors and lots of goodies to play with. And probably discounted prices too. Only 5 months away. Can I hold on? :biggrin:

On 6/11/2018 at 7:51 PM, vortex681 said:

Vortex is fine. For reasons I won't go in to, it had some significance in the real world for several years. It all adds to the mystery!

I bet Vortex is your surname and..... well, I just hope 'Windy' isn't your Christian name !

I really  hope it's "knot" your real name.......

I too, have never used my real name on the interweb. There is no need or requirement, and even if merchants know it, they are bound by laws of data protection, the breaking of which, carry severe financial penalties.

I am not a man of mystery; I just need to keep two steps ahead of the ex-wives, the taxman, certain undesirables from Columbia..... etc etc. !

I am currently on my 15th Avsim account, as I keep getting banned. Can't imagine why.

Frankly I don't care, any more than I care for the psuedo-reality that is "The Internet", and I certainly prefer to keep real life completely seperate... along with maintaining a hold on real friends and stuff that really matters.

Anyhow, I'll probably be going by 'Boris' next year as I fancy a change. Maybe later, it will be 'Zach' or 'Brad', like a Top Gun navy pilot !

So, see you all again in January, when 'Boris777' will no doubt be banging on - again - about whether Honeycomb actually exists.

Edited by Gabe777

On 6/11/2018 at 6:32 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

If they’re heavy enough to sit on a desk and not move when used them they look a really good option.

I know this is fairly old, but thought I'd post here in case anyone was still wondering. For something that's as big as it is, it's surprisingly very light. Although in most cases, it won't move, I ended up using velcro to stick it to the table to be absolutely sure it doesn't move since there's always the off chance it moves even just slightly. I'll also add that this is not a throttle quadrant that can be used comfortably on a standard desk. Below is a look at my setup. I had initially tried it on the tray table as I did with the last two throttles I had, but aside from having it be in an awkward position, it was also incredibly difficult to reach the flap handle with the throttles in the way. I ended up buying a $40 table to solve this issue. If the table could be any lower, that might help, but this was the only table I was able to find, so it'll have to do.

adac07deedc3908a7282296bfe5e3a09.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting that Kev. It does look very large. Probably too large for the available space on my setup.

Yeah, it can be pretty big if you're not expecting it. That said, the thrust levers themselves have a much larger range because of its size, and I think my flying's gotten a little better because of it. I only have to make really minor thrust corrections for speed changes with this versus the GoFlight TQ6 or even the CH throttles I had before since it doesn't take much to have a huge jump in thrust with the limited range on either of the two.