Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

GSX V2 Announced- SODE Jetways and Animated Passengers

3 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

Umberto said GSX Lvl 2 could be out next week so keep your eyes peeled!

That's great. Tell him that it would be fantastic if;

1) The ground vehicles didn't just drive in and smash the glass of the terminal buildings by driving through them (doing a few hundred thousand pounds (dollars) worth of damage in the process).

2) The push back vehicle is appropriate to the task of the Jet/ Aeroplane size. I fly Bizjets - I don't need an A380-size Tractor for the Pushback thank you.

3) The Pax don't look like zombies and make me and my copilot fear for our lives as we look out the cockpit door before locking it - firmly.

Umberto has done great work - but, as your old History teacher said: "Can do better."

Or someone else is going to come along and rinse it. About time I says.

30 minutes ago, ganter said:

That's great. Tell him that it would be fantastic if;

1) The ground vehicles didn't just drive in and smash the glass of the terminal buildings by driving through them (doing a few hundred thousand pounds (dollars) worth of damage in the process).

The ground vehicles surely don't drive through terminal buildings. As explained so many times, GSX doesn't know *anything* of the terminal buildings. It only reads the AFCAD paths, when vehicles that are driving from far away are concerned.

If the AFCAD is made realistically, with paths dedicated to *vehicles*, GSX will use them by preference (even if they are not the shortest route). There IS a reason why such dedicated paths exists in real life. However, not all scenery designer care about them so, lots of times they are either missing, or not done correctly, or without vehicle parking spots nearby the terminal, like in real life. So, GSX must work with that it has, and sometimes it might smash into other things, like AI airplanes for example, because GSX vehicles are forced to take taxiways, for the lack of dedicated vehicle paths in the scenery.

In relationship with vehicles that start on a parking, they also don't know anything about the terminal buildings so, they just try to approach their assigned airplane door. Because they don't know anything about the buildings, they will start in a default position which, of course, can be customized, and this usually solves almost every issue with vehicles passing through scenery.

In relationship with GSX vehicles clashing into other GSX vehicles, this has also been explained so many times: they are not really aware of each other (except in few specific cases), because if they were, a whole new class of issue would start to appear, like traffic deadlock, which will be *very* likely to happen in a crammed apron space.

So that you can *start* to appreciate the complexity of the issue, I'll ask you a question:

With all the millions (if not billions) Google and others have spent so far on Autonomous Vehicles during the past years, can we BUY one now ? Why ?

What is an  Autonomous Vehicle, other than a software that drives a vehicle without doing "stupid" things, like crashing into other vehicles or buildings or people ?

Now, you might believe it or not, but a single Autonomous Vehicle, like a Car, it's even easier to do than a "train" of vehicles, like a Baggage Loader or the system made of Airplane+Towbar+Pushback.

2) The push back vehicle is appropriate to the task of the Jet/ Aeroplane size. I fly Bizjets - I don't need an A380-size Tractor for the Pushback thank you.

The pushback vehicle size has always been driven by the airplane weight, since GSX has been released so no, the largest tow trucks surely won't arrive on a biz-jet, since it has a condition to appear only if the airplane weight is higher than 170.000 lbs.

3) The Pax don't look like zombies and make me and my copilot fear for our lives as we look out the cockpit door before locking it - firmly.

It's all matter of living in a fantasy world. Until today, the only passengers you could see in ANY Flight Simulator, were those of your own IMAGINATION So, think of Zombies as the next level of that role-playing game we are are in, or be free to go back and imagine them...

Jokes apart, do you know why Zombies games are so popular among game developers ? COULD BE their animations are easier to do, without having user complaining "oh, they looks like Zombies" ?

But of course, both are jokes, and the real answer is:

- Our passengers can go anywhere, so they must be "procedural" (hence, not *THAT* human). It's very easy to do a believable animation that works only in one place. Just buy or do motion capture yourself, and it's done. But that's easy, and everybody can do that. We must have adapt automatically to airplanes, stairs, buses and different jetway models. That's why they will never be as lifelike as they would, if you we just a canned animation that was taylored to a specific place.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 6

@virtuali Can I ask for those of us who fly small turboprops(under 50 seats) into small regional airports, what happens with the passengers if I park outside a small terminal building?.

Do they get on a bus or can we direct them to the entrance door on the scenery?.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

@virtuali

Great news Umberto! Thank you for your great addon I use since several years now!

Regards,

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

8 hours ago, SquawkModeCharlie said:

@virtuali Can I ask for those of us who fly small turboprops(under 50 seats) into small regional airports, what happens with the passengers if I park outside a small terminal building?.

Do they get on a bus or can we direct them to the entrance door on the scenery?.

We couldn't add it in time for the initial release, but we'll surely release it as a Live Update at a later stage.

The issue is, you really cannot have this feature working automatically: it *requires* a proper scenery customization, in order to tell exactly where that "door" is located on the scenery. And, since they'll have to walk around on a very specific path, there's no way to do it without being able to specify that path.

So, in order to do that, we'll need to add what we call the "generic waypoint editor", which will also be used in the next GSX upgrade (not an expansion), which will cover Pushback and fully customized Pushback routes.

The passengers are already using waypoints, internally, it's just that we lack a user interface to create such paths but, it will eventually come, and will be used for editing passenger paths, custom pushback routes, custom vehicle routes, etc.

Don't worry, we have GSX updates planned for the next 5 years at least...

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Hi Umberto.

Will you add cleaning service to the list of available services during turnaround? I could imagine a service vehicle/van parking at the aft steps.

Thank you!

Bye

Jan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ganter said:

1) The ground vehicles didn't just drive in and smash the glass of the terminal buildings by driving through them

I really don't mind that anymore.  It's just that when you are trying to demo flightsim to a non-flightsim person - ground ops is to be avoided. They pick up on the smallest things which actually have nothing to do with flying at all.  It loses credibility right there.

But I could not flightsim without GSX anymore.  It's a must

• Like 3

Still not on Simmarket though - which is quite typical

• Like 1

I still wonder if the passengers will have their carry-on bagage with them... I wonder, because obviously the videos on the product page on simmarket are the "old" preview videos from June. Not really smart to use those, if there are improvements in the final version that are not shown in the videos, no?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Apparently it's going to be released later today... the FSDT forums are slow because there is so much traffic that is waiting!

12 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I still wonder if the passengers will have their carry-on bagage with them...

They surely have.

Not really smart to use those, if there are improvements in the final version that are not shown in the videos, no?

That's not really an issue, since we the product is available in Trial. And, even new videos would become old very soon, because we have an history of always keep the product updated.

Edited by virtuali