Sign in to follow this  
Viking01

Happy Himalaya - Visiting Bhutan

On this flight we get to see a large part of the small kingdom of Bhutan, a country where the king introduced "gross national happiness", thus making Bhutan the happiest country in the world!

Bhutan has four airfields, which we will all visit. 

We start our flight at Lukla, Nepal. For more information please refer to Mike's very detailed and informative guide to our Himalaya flight a couple of weeks ago.

A first stopover leads us to Tumlingatar (VNTR). The small airfield is located in eastern Nepal. In this area, we find the deepest valley and the highest mesa of Nepal. The airport has an unpaved runway of approx. 4000 feet in length. It's at an altitude of about 1200 feet.

From here we head south to India, more precisely to Baghdogra (VEBD), an airfield that has to accommodate lots of tourists as well as military traffic. From here there are flights to many destinations in India, Nepa, and Bhutan. The airport has an approx. 9000-foot long asphalt runway with a north-south orientation.

FYI: There is a Baghdogra freeware scenery available at AVSIM, but it caused a CTD on my system every time I got closer than about 40 NM to the airport. If you would like to use it I recommend to try it before the flight.

From here we head north to Paro in Bhutan. A little Pilot's Guide for Bhutan and it's airports can be found together with the flight plan in this package . Note: No GFP-Flightplan included as the destination (as well as two other airports in Bhutan) is not in the GTN database and LittleNavMap could not generate a flight plan in the GFP Format.

THxWHil.jpg

From Paro we head southeast again to Gelephu (VQGP). The airport is located in the southern plain, not far from the Indian border. It has an elevation of 924 feet and a 4900 feet long asphalt runway with an 11/29 orientation.   

After a short stop, we fly north again, back over the mountains, to Bathpalathang (VQBT). From here Drukair offers more or less regular air traffic to Paro. The airport has an elevation of approx. 8500 feet. The asphalt runway is almost 4000 feet long with an orientation of 14/32.

The fourth and last destination (and airport) in Bhutan is Yongphulla (VQTY). 
It has an elevation of about 1000 Fuß and an asphalt runway of about 5000 feet, orientation 12/30.

For Paro and it's interesting approach, you can find more information here:
Paro Charts and Info

Recommended scenery: ORBX Global and Vector. For Bhutan, the following scenery is highly recommended, it also includes Mesh data for Bhutan: Bhutan. We will need both downloads.

Note: I put in a wrong link! If you downloaded the package before June 12, please redownload it. Sorry about that and thanks to Mike for letting me know!

We need to cover about 340 NM, so an airplane cruising with about 150 KIAS would be ok. In case you would like to fly the Carenado Do 228-100 (I will!), here is a repaint in Drukair Colors.

Flights with the Dash 8 could also be fun. Here is a (fictional) Drukair repaint for Majestic's Dash8 Q 400

Unfortunately, I did not find a repaint for Tashi air.

Particulars:
Date and time: Saturday, June 16, 2018, 1800 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).
If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!
Recommend that you set your start time at 1430 local time.

Paro can only be reached during daytime and und VMC, so we may have to turn off real Wx!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

This one goes to Baghdogra. Mmm. Might be interesting.

On the other hand...Maybe not. :sad: Not enough runway.

A KingAir just about gets off with a good run-up.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Small problem with the flight plan. It runs out of puff at Baghdogra. I landed there OK and saw there was no onward leg. So I reloaded the flight plan and 'Bang!' ntdll CTD.

Hurumph!

Hm, sorry to hear that. I tried to reproduce that, but on my end, the flight plan is complete, including all legs. I also tried to reproduce the crash in putting the airplane to Baghdogra and reload the flight plan, but that went ok as well. I'll mail you the flight plan unzipped, maybe that helps.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

It was weird for sure. I redownloaded it but not tested it again due to being side-tracked by chasing down an ntdll error. I've put your emailed one in so we'll see. :smile:

hi ron,

just loaded flight plan & started @ baghdogra & same thing happened ctd.  think i will give this  flight a miss.

regards, roger.

Hi Roger,

could you be so kind and and give a flight from Baghdogra a go without the flight plan? Did you install the  Baghdogra scenery?

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

i will start sim & do as you say, & no i did not install any baghdogra scenery.

let you know result.

regards.

Thanks. If the problem persists we skip Baghdogra, no problem.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

hi gunter,

loaded without flight plan @ baghdogra, departed r36, did a circuit no problems.

great scenery with mountains in the backdrop.

roger.

Thanks Roger.

Maybe you could produce a flight plan VEBD-PRO-VQPR-VQGP-VQBT-VQTY yourself and use that one instead of mine? I have no other ideas as I cannot reproduce the crash, sorry about that!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Got it! 😎This is the first time my trusty 530 pop up has caused a problem. It seems the Flight1 G1000 will brook no interference from an upstart 530. So it cuts it off at the knees. It also causes other nasties too horrible to tell in the presence of youngsters. All good now.

Great, thanks for the info Ron!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Very strange. I think everybody has to generate his own flightplan. Sorry, I cannot reproduce that crash. 

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider