Sign in to follow this  
shafs67

X plane 11 why should i change

+1 to Sesquashtoo. Just install as many sims as disk space will allow and enjoy.

Technically, yes, you can have and fly as many sims as you want. But maintaining a sim takes time.

• keeping the sim itself up to date (unless it's FSX😊)
  • keeping add-ons up to date
  • installing new addons
  • gathering info about new releases, updates, bugs etc.
  • the list goes on...

All this takes more than enough time for one sim, and I definitely don't want to do that for two or more. I usually don't have more that two hours per week to spare for flightsimming, and sometimes a good portion of that get's used for something from the above list.
Sure, you could fly at least "the other sim" with everything out of the box or with an absolute minimum of add-ons. But where's the fun in that? 😊

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, mgeiss said:

Technically, yes, you can have and fly as many sims as you want. But maintaining a sim takes time.

• keeping the sim itself up to date (unless it's FSX😊)
  • keeping add-ons up to date
  • installing new addons
  • gathering info about new releases, updates, bugs etc.
  • the list goes on...

All this takes more than enough time for one sim, and I definitely don't want to do that for two or more. I usually don't have more that two hours per week to spare for flightsimming, and sometimes a good portion of that get's used for something from the above list.
Sure, you could fly at least "the other sim" with everything out of the box or with an absolute minimum of add-ons. But where's the fun in that? 😊

Well...er...all my sims:  XP11.21, P3D 4.2, FSX-SE, AF FS2, FS9.9999999 and all their myriads of add-ons, are all 'caught up'.  Each sim, has it's unique charm...and so,  as stated, all get flown. 🙂

Cheers,

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo

I barely have time to keep up with one (XP) maybe when I retire....but by then XP will be miles ahead of the rest, so most likely I'll still be a one sim guy.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Upvote 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

14 hours ago, tonywob said:

+1 to Sesquashtoo. Just install as many sims as disk space will allow and enjoy.

Hi Tony, can we expect to see large regional packages from orbx (like OpenLCs: custom autogen, custom textures and no Orthos/Orthos limited to some areas).

I mean, I really like X-Plane 11, but would be awesome to have some landmarks + regional autogen + more accurate terrain textures on places like South America, Africa and Asia.

I can understand if you can't talk about that, but I'm just curious since I saw your old projects with W2XP.

Thanks,

Edited by ca_metal

7 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I can understand if you can't talk about that, but I'm just curious since I saw your old projects with W2XP.

There are lots of plans for X-Plane, and more regions and projects planned, but nothing official to announce yet 🙂

• Like 1

I find X-Plane's ground handling to be atrocious. So bad it makes the sim unusable as far as realism and immersion. It has nice graphics for pretty screenshots but until they can figure out how to fix the ground handling, X-Plane collects virtual dust on my computer.

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

There are lots of plans for X-Plane, and more regions and projects planned, but nothing official to announce yet 🙂

Good to know. Will keep my eyes on the announcements. Thanks,

8 hours ago, HDUltraClassic said:

I find X-Plane's ground handling to be atrocious. So bad it makes the sim unusable as far as realism and immersion. It has nice graphics for pretty screenshots but until they can figure out how to fix the ground handling, X-Plane collects virtual dust on my computer.

It got better in 11.20 / 21, and Austin mentioned it's going to be fine tuned in 11.30 too.

It's a convergence process...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When I got into xplane i deleted all my FSx addons, backups, threw away all my diskx for two reasons, im not spending money on 2 sims and xplane is far better, still needs to catch up on the carrier stuff, hope it gets some attention. over $3000 au of fsx stuff gone for good.

• Like 1

Have fsx se running like a dream with the DX10 fixer but I need 64 bit so enjoying myself building up scenery and other ad ons in x plane so when some of the issues are sorted I can switch over as the primary sim, Will still keep fsx though. If I started simming today I would go x plane and save a small fortune in add ons 

ZORAN

After a week of flying the demo my thought is the default scenery is not bad and was impressed at the night flying. i have been flying the default 172 that seems ok but has large pitch changes when putting flaps down. and having done  most of my real flying in the same type they are not the same. but i am impressed with Xplane 11. So i will buy it and still fly my other sim and start shopping for my first payware aircraft. the kodiak is looking good.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:58 AM, zmak said:

Have fsx se running like a dream with the DX10 fixer but I need 64 bit

Why? The only thing that going 64-bit solves is OOM issues.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

24 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Why? The only thing that going 64-bit solves is OOM issues.

No, it also allows the use of higher resolution textures, higher resolution landclass data (HD and UHD mesh), and extended loading of DSF tiles to avoid scenery pop-in in the distance. None of which were possible in the 32-bit version of X-Plane, or would bring the system to its knees with disk paging if you tried it.

That's specific to 64-bit X-Plane, but over time, there will be similar extended use of memory in P3Dv4 also. They're just beginning to exploit the advantages.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

None of which were possible in the 32-bit version of X-Plane, or would bring the system to its knees with disk paging if you tried it.

But this is still down to memory addressing (the same as OOMs). That's the main advantage that 64-bit software offers. My question to zmak was why he felt he specifically needed 64-bit.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit