Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[13JUN18] XPlane User Updates

27 minutes ago, elmucki said:

As far as stats go, FS9 users and FSX users are making choices, be it P3D or XP. Both are growing. And with FSW at its end, its no surprise that these two seeing growth. At the end of it all, i believe people will stick with whats familiar and has the most to offer (products/backwards compatibility and so on). Why reinvest if one does not have to?

Is that why XP is growing at an amazing rate? Because people stick with whats familiar? If that was the case XP wouldn't be growing.

• Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

53 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

since December 2017 X-Plane 11 usage has increased about 38%

How can Steam know whats going on with the XP usage? o.O

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Anubhav,

The DC-6 was designed to give us a technical study, not a market study.  We already know that the XPL community of high-end sim users is very much smaller than it is in the FSX/P3D world.  We have plenty of data from other sources to show buying habits, etc.

And what do you think about the platform? Once you said x plane is not a suitable platform for complicated planes like yours. Does things have changed since x plane 11 or will they change in the near future(based on your conversation between devs of course)? Or were you simply wrong at that time?

12 minutes ago, ArborVitae said:

And what do you think about the platform? Once you said x plane is not a suitable platform for complicated planes like yours. Does things have changed since x plane 11 or will they change in the near future(based on your conversation between devs of course)? Or were you simply wrong at that time?

XP is a powerful platform and you can do a lot of great things with its "editor".. the problem until now has always been that it locks out developers who want to code outside of the XP-given possibilities. In P3D you can write applications that run beside P3D and take all the calculations outside of the core. In XP you have to use what's there but can't do the same as with P3D. So things like Accusim or what PMDG have done to override for example the ground model would not be possible with XP.. At least for now. To improve this LR could open those limitations so developers can use XP as a visual platform but create their "own simulator" in the background. 

Edited by Ephedrin
try to type on a keyboard that is hidden behind a yoke and throttles *lol*
  • Upvote 1

:ohmy: ...

* door slams - quickly running to supermarket for popcorn *

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

15 hours ago, redsonssi said:

This update doesn't delay the release of the 747-8, does it?

"We will be scheduling followup discussions with Ben and his team at Laminar once we get beyond the 747-8 release in order to see if we cannot compact the challenges into as small a space as possible..."

I think the above quote answers your question directly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

18 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, I see what you did there.  😎

Please sign your posts in this forum, but thanks for the laugh. 

Heheheh, all this activity by you truly means the Alpha testing (heavily on you) is done and the beta (heavily on the grunts hehe) is underway (as you said at the expo). If not mistaken, I believe the 748 should be ready for delivery sometime during mid july-august, barring any unforeseen problems. I know for a fact its gonna release on P3D V4.3, only thing i cant figure out is how much time the new ops centre and rainmaiker will add to ur typical beta/release frame (which i can easily calculate wink).

• Like 1

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

6 hours ago, YukonPete said:

Is that why XP is growing at an amazing rate? Because people stick with whats familiar? If that was the case XP wouldn't be growing.

I think the growth is not as "Amazing" as you think. I also believe there is less "crossover" and more new users starting there. Dont kid yourself, I know that X-Plane is growing, and showing sales increase of 33% with only an 8% drop in FSX sales (which I am surprised its that low) without a base of P3D users is hard to show "Amazing" After all, if 2 people own X-Plane and 1 more buys it, thats 33%....just saying.

• Upvote 1

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

24 minutes ago, Sims Smith said:

The longer it will take the harder it will be to break into XP and make profit.  There are many quality aircraft available and Zibo is making great progress on free side.  It feel like PMDG is in year 1999 still planning to invest heavily on film camera and oblivious to the proliferation cell phone and what it will do to the industry.

To be honest, XPL is just like the other sims: it has strengths, and it has weaknesses. This wild idea that XPL die-hards have that XPL is perfect and so far ahead of the other sims is entirely misguided. Sure, it's light years ahead of FSX, and especially the older platforms (FS9 and back, all of which we've dropped), but for platforms like P3D, it lags in some departments while it leads in others.

Don't kid yourself...if it were the pinnacle of technological perfection and user base like so many claim, developers would be all over it. Fact is, they aren't...and it's not simply because they haven't looked into the platform.

Instead of casting knee-jerk aspersions, it's usually prudent to evaluate your own blind spots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Just now, scandinavian13 said:

To be honest, XPL is just like the other sims: it has strengths, and it has weaknesses. This wild idea that XPL die-hards have that XPL is perfect and so far ahead of the other sims is entirely misguided. Sure, it's light years ahead of FSX, and especially the older platforms (FS9 and back, all of which we've dropped), but for platforms like P3D, it lags in some departments while it leads in others.

Don't kid yourself...if it were the pinnacle of technological perfection and user base like so many claim, developers would be all over it. Fact is, they aren't...and it's not simply because they haven't looked into the platform.

Instead of casting knee-jerk aspersions, it's usually prudent to evaluate your own blind spots.

Very well said Kyle. I guess I was eluding to that, but you were more eloquent and explained it better then I could.

• Upvote 1

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Gents,

There are always a few prosthletizers who feel that it is important to drag every thread into "XPL" vs "any other sim.

If you feel emotional about the fact that a business doesn't see the value that you see in your sim, it is time to walk away from your keyboard a bit until you can have a conversation without evangelizing.  You like your sim, we get it.  But we have data and we are a business.  We do not make business decisions based upon wishes we make them based upon facts.

We have always taken the position that we don't tolerate X vs. Y stupidity in this forum.  Do not do so here, or we will remove your posts without comment and possibly remove you as well.

• Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,

Thanks for the update and professionalism that you bring to the flight simulator community.  I personally am pleased that PMDG is exploring the possibility of developing aircraft for Xplane, even though I predominately use Prepar3D.  Multiple flight simulator platforms that empower developers are a positive step toward ensuring the future of our community.  

I understand that an additional investment to run a first class product such as a PMDG aircraft over multiple platforms seems obscene to some.  PMDG and other first class developers, operating in an open market, have invested their profits back into their companies over the last decade, advancing their products and our community.  I look at multiple platforms as more consumers, which will enable developers to invest in the future and advancement of flight simulation.

But then again I contemplated buying a Dakota wingtip office desk, harvested from the high Bolivian plains, with the help of a very attractive Italian woman.

Was a pleasure to finally shake your hand Sir!   

Mark Holmes

• Like 1

Mark,

Thank you, I appreciate it.  It is always surprising to me the depth of sincerity that I find on those rare occasions when I attend a show like FSExpo.  I wish I could find some way to bottle it and hand it back to the team.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

11 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

How can Steam know whats going on with the XP usage? o.O

Because XP11 is available on Steam?? What do you mean exactly?

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Just now, GCBraun said:

Because XP11 is available on Steam?? What do you mean exactly?

Ah okay... I wasn‘t aware of this as I have installed it without steam..