Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Quick question about maps

I would like to have an application where I can view the globe, so that I can see flight plans, create them even, and see details of an airport far off. Until now I've just used what's built into Prepar3d or FSX, but it would be good to have a separate app or web site, even (so I can use it on my tablet). 

I don't mind paying, and to be honest I'm not keen on Simbrief because you can't simply get a map without doing a plan. 

Thanks

Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Little Nav Map or PlanG are two freeware products that are excellent and will do what you want. Little Nav Map has a forum here on Avsim.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Its looking really good - I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Gaz

Edited by Gary McCluskey

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Hi Folks,

One of my favorite features of LNM is it scans your scenery.cfg and has the ability to display only those airports you have improved scenery for - makes choosing a departure and destination much easier...

Enjoy...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Gary,

I'm a big fan of FltPlanGo.  I use it on every flight.  It does not create flight plans (you must enter the route manually).  However, you can connect your sim PC to your tablet and run the program on your tablet while watching your aircraft position.  The tablet app can show waypoints, has procedures, weather, winds, airport info, charts, breadcrumbs, satellite view (see a random lake? easy to figure out what lake), instruments and way more,  It's actually used for real-world flying, but works great with P3D.  And it's free!

I can't recommend it enough (I swear I'm not affiliated with them at all)

• Like 1

Thanks, Brian! 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

Gary...it has not been mentioned, but online, SkyVector has just about everything you need. I typically plan my flight there, copy and paste the string in LNM to export. You can get weather overlays in it as well. 

https://skyvector.com/

Edited by kowen
Spelling

16 hours ago, blaird22 said:

Hi Gary,

I'm a big fan of FltPlanGo.  I use it on every flight.  It does not create flight plans (you must enter the route manually).  However, you can connect your sim PC to your tablet and run the program on your tablet while watching your aircraft position.  The tablet app can show waypoints, has procedures, weather, winds, airport info, charts, breadcrumbs, satellite view (see a random lake? easy to figure out what lake), instruments and way more,  It's actually used for real-world flying, but works great with P3D.  And it's free!

I can't recommend it enough (I swear I'm not affiliated with them at all)

Hi Folks,

Ditto - best thing since sliced bread and the only source of FREE geo-referenced approach plates and taxi diagrams that I know of... They also have performance and fuel burn profiles for just about every GA and BIZJET aircraft out there - been using them for many years... Completely free supports Apple, Android, and Microsoft Tablets - along with FSX, P3D, and XP...

Only caveat - you need to live and fly in North America to use it...

http://imageserver.fltplan.com/ipad/FltPlanGoTutorial/fltplanGo.html

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Ditto - best thing since sliced bread and the only source of FREE geo-referenced approach plates and taxi diagrams that I know of... They also have performance and fuel burn profiles for just about every GA and BIZJET aircraft out there - been using them for many years... Completely free supports Apple, Android, and Microsoft Tablets - along with FSX, P3D, and XP...

Only caveat - you need to live and fly in North America to use it...

http://imageserver.fltplan.com/ipad/FltPlanGoTutorial/fltplanGo.html

Regards,

Scott

*Edited out my stupid question about US only

Hi Erich,

Yeah - it's a shame it doesn't have global coverage.... I've used it into Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean outside the US as well...

Hi Folks,

And as far as flight planning aspect mentioned above - it does contain previously filed routes and previously approved ATC routing - which I typically choose from when planning a flight...

Regards,
Scott 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Yeah - it's a shame it doesn't have global coverage.... I've used it into Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean outside the US as well...

The North America thing is kinda annoying, especially now that the QW787 is out with the jump ahead feature that makes it far too convenient to fly outside the US.  I typically stick with NA as that is the area I'm familiar with, but will also be exploring a lot more now.  But the conveniences far outweigh that IMHO if you mostly fly NA routes

This is a super planning site: https://www.simbrief.com/home/index.php

COMPLETE flight plan with charts, routing, Wx., etc. Best of all: It will download the route to your PC in the proper folder and in the correct format for your FMC. 

My plans are downloaded for Q400. 737, etc and will load into my FMC complete and ready to go.

• Like 1

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Sorry I haven't replied for a while on this subject, but I've made a couple of tests and now I have problems! 

Had anyone tried http://www.mobileaviationtools.com? The tablet maps are great, but I'm having real trouble getting the prepar3d pc to talk to the tablet. If anyone knows where their support is, that would be great. 

The other tool I was trying to learn was FsMovMap2 Pro. Originally it was working, but it stopped so I had to reinstall it, however I can't rebuild the database For some reason - it says it can't find files : https://photos.app.goo.gl/DyS3kJbKxgqV5ssU6

Any advice would be good. These both look like good apps if I could get them working.

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook