Sign in to follow this  
bk106

Flight controls

Hello all,

I have been primarily flying PMDG's 737 and 747 and just got into piloting the 777. I had an impression during takeoff and landing that the 777 is hard to control. That is, the controls feel stiff and the plane seems rather less responsive compared to 747 and 737 that react well to my yoke inputs. This particularly makes flaring difficult since even though I pull up at like 50 ft, the plane flares late and makes a hard landing. Anyone else feel the same way and configured their hardwares differently for the 777?

Welcome to the PMDG forums, please note their forum rules require us to sign our full name on all posts.  You can set this up to occur automatically in your forum settings.

The 777 is no harder to control than a big Cessna in my opinion, and during testing we had quite a number of 777 rated crew participating in the technical and beta tests.  There are differences, being a fly-by-wire aircraft but the biggest difference is that it is not an Airbus and Boeing designed the flight dynamics to be more pilot-centric and less computer-centric.

Flaring is easy, but the 777 only flares 2-3 deg so if you are trying to over flare then that is a different problem.  Be sure to review the discussion on landing in the flight crew training manual FCTM.

The simulated aircraft has something the real plane doesn't to make up for the lack of tactile feedback that I find useful.  Turn on the FBW trim indication that will show on the speed tape when the A/P is disconnected, and get used to trimming for speed rather than pitch and things might come together quicker for you.

Dan Downs KCRP

13 hours ago, bk106 said:

Hello all,

I have been primarily flying PMDG's 737 and 747 and just got into piloting the 777. I had an impression during takeoff and landing that the 777 is hard to control. That is, the controls feel stiff and the plane seems rather less responsive compared to 747 and 737 that react well to my yoke inputs. This particularly makes flaring difficult since even though I pull up at like 50 ft, the plane flares late and makes a hard landing. Anyone else feel the same way and configured their hardwares differently for the 777?

Personally I increase the sensitive and decrease the null zone of my yoke to make the 777 flies more or less like the real one. 

The flight control should be responsive most of the time when the speed is within range.

also make sure you are always in trim when flying the 777 as well. If your trim speed is incorrect me set too high you will find it really hard to flare.