Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak959

GTN750 Dark after reinstall

How do I contact Reality-XP Tech Support?  Don’t see a “Support” tab in their website. Perhaps my problem can be addressed by them.

After reinstalling my GTN750 instrument after a hard dist failure, the GTN750 now shows blank on the aircraft instrument panel.  I would like to show an image, but cannot find any way to attach image to this thread.

Can anyone please identify a fix for this problem?  Thank you for the help—much appreciated.

When I say "GTN750 appears blank", I mean:  The GTN750 appears in the instrument panel, but appears to be turned off.  The border and background appear OK, but it is not turned on.  Hope that helps.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Kodiak959 said:

How do I contact Reality-XP Tech Support?

Hi, simple answer: like you've just did, because THIS is the support forum!

35 minutes ago, Kodiak959 said:

When I say "GTN750 appears blank", I mean:  The GTN750 appears in the instrument panel, but appears to be turned off.

Can you please review the content of the RXP log files (see GTN User's Manual for file/path)?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

The contents of the log files are:

rxpGTN.xlp.log

18/06/14 19:42:37.299 13580 -    ] # win.xpl version 2.5.2.1

18/06/14 19:42:37.299 13580 INFO ]

rxpGtnSim.dll.log

18/06/14 19:42:39.361 13580 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.2.0

18/06/14 19:42:39.361 13580 INFO ]

18/06/14 19:49:40.057 13580 WARN ] can't find trainer installer path

It appears that the only warning is "can't find trainer installer path".  Can this cause my "dark" GTN750?  What should this path be? (Have installed 750/650 on my "M:" drive...if that helps).

Thank you for your help.

Sorry, sent the previous reply before I was ready.   As is normal, my "C:" drive is my primary drive.  But, I have a secondary drive that I call my "M:" drive. The M: drive is where all my X-Plane file live--trying to keep all X-Plane-related files on the M: drive.  Hope this helps.  Thank you.

Hi, have you manually moved the trainer files to M: after installation, or have you pointed the installer to M: when the Garmin trainer installer offers a 'choose a location' option?

Are you running X-Plane as admin or as a normal user?

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

RXP, thank you for your time and effort in trying to help me out—much appreciated.  I really enjoy using the GTN750 and GTN650.  They worked fine prior to my M: drive crashing a few days ago.  Just can’t seem to get them working now that I have replaced my old M: drive.

During re-installation, I redirected install files to my M: drive whenever I was prompted with the option to do so (only asked once...for my X-Plane directory).  But there are some files that end up on the "C:" drive anyway.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GTN Simulation\X-Plane\ folder:

• readme.rtf
  • Reality XP GTN Touch XPlane.pdf
  • unins000.dat
  • unins000.exe.

C:\ProgramData\  folder:

• Reality XP.dll
  • RXPGTN.rxp
  • rxpGtnSim32.dll
  • rxpGtnSim64.dll
  • WinSparkle.dll

C:\ProgramData\Common\GtnTrainer\  folder:

• checklists.zip
  • flightplans.zip

I am guessing that I normally run X-Plane as a “normal user”...I don’t know.  Upon receipt of your reply, I did right-click on “X-Plane.exe” and then clicked on “Run as administrator”.  X-Plane ran, but problem is still there.  Again, the GTN750 appears on the instrument panel with its knobs, etc.  Pops-up when right-clicking...but is dark.  Just needs to be “turned on”.

Have just re-installed again.  Log again says: “Can’t find installer path”.  If it is a matter of some files being in the wrong place, can you tell me what files should be where?  Or perhaps, it would be easier to reinstall again—with your instructions. (I have reinstalled so many times, I had to revalidate my purchase with the ecommerce service.)

Thank you for your help.

Edited by RXP

I have noticed that the Garmin Trainers have not been installed during my many attempted re-installations of GTN750/GTN650.

How do I re-install the Trainers?  I have tried running “GarminTrainerSetup_2100.exe”, but have had no luck with it.  I run it, it gets to the point of downloading files, then skips immediately to the “Install succeeded” screen.  It does not get installed. (Have checked both my “C:” drive and “M:” drive.  

Thank you.

Issue resolved...was able to "turn on" the dark GTN750 by reinstalling the missing Garmin Trainers.  Apparently they would not reinstall automatically because there were remnants of the Trainer on the "C:" drive.  Had to seek out the remnants and delete them so the Trainer would reinstall.

Thank you, RXP, for your time and effort.

Hi,

The files installed in C:\ are in the correct place.

However, unrelated to the trainer installation issue, the latest GTN installer should copy the plugin files and the 'rxpGtnSim' files into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GTN Simulation\X-Plane\" folder too  (in sub folders: 32\ 64\ and bin\)

The User's Manual file name is not the latest either.

However, the log files show the latest version number ok, so at least, the files installed in the XP11 plugin folder are correct, so are the rxpGtnSim##.dll (per the log file version number as well).

I'm glad you've got all sorted out in the end!