Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Cargo vs Pax

At many add-on airports I see cargo ai a/c where pax ai a/c should be and vice versa. Is there anything what we or developers could do against this? If I recall correctly, aircraft.cfg defines whether it is ia cargo or pax machine, and the airport layout (airport file) defines where it should park. Sounds easy enough, but why does it not work correctly?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

At many add-on airports I see cargo ai a/c where pax ai a/c should be and vice versa. Is there anything what we or developers could do against this? If I recall correctly, aircraft.cfg defines whether it is ia cargo or pax machine, and the airport layout (airport file) defines where it should park. Sounds easy enough, but why does it not work correctly?

Make sure to input the airline parking codes.
For example;
United
atc_parking_codes=UAL
atc_parking_types=GATE

Cargolux
atc_parking_codes=CLX
atc_parking_types=CARGO

If there are no CARGO parking spots large enough for a particular AI plane (or none with the relevant parking codes), it will park at any GATE that is large enough. The same applies in reverse.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Does this mean that airport developers don't care enough about these parking codes and the amount and size of the parking lots. I am using UTL and see wrong parking of their cargo a/c at KLAX (FSDT) and RCTP (PacSim) for example. The aircraft.cfg files of UTL cargo a/c seem to be correct, though I did not check all.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Does this mean that airport developers don't care enough about these parking codes and the amount and size of the parking lots.

Sure, for a lot of addons, they have only generic parkings.

With big liners, when beginning new scenario, sometimes... I must changing of gate or parking because the choiced one in the listing is to small. To correct this now, I follow Navigraph maps... And when have time, I correct with ADE for the liking airports.

13 hours ago, Nemo said:

Does this mean that airport developers don't care enough about these parking codes and the amount and size of the parking lots. I am using UTL and see wrong parking of their cargo a/c at KLAX (FSDT) and RCTP (PacSim) for example. The aircraft.cfg files of UTL cargo a/c seem to be correct, though I did not check all.

Some are certainly better than others.  There are a lot of cargo parking locations missing from FSDT KLAX unfortunately.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I almost 80% of the time have to use ADE to modify the AF file for an addon airport I paid for to set up a cargo space.  KLAX is one, but also the newest KSDF, which is a UPS hub, doesn't have parking on the South ramp for their B744/B748 aircraft.  This has been mentioned in the FSDT forum a while ago so maybe it will be picked up. Also the new Aerosoft PANC is designed for AI parking but useless for GSX pushbacks on the cargo ramps so here the ADE is used to modify the apron links (I never use AI so I have more choices on how to solve problems with AF files). I use Google Earth to look at where my UPS, FDX or GTI is parking and then set up something similar with ADE.  Just adds an hour to flight planning.... but I keep track of all my mods in a text file so I only have to do it once per location.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 hours ago, downscc said:

I almost 80% of the time have to use ADE to modify the AF file for an addon airport I paid for to set up a cargo space.  KLAX is one, but also the newest KSDF, which is a UPS hub, doesn't have parking on the South ramp for their B744/B748 aircraft.  This has been mentioned in the FSDT forum a while ago so maybe it will be picked up. Also the new Aerosoft PANC is designed for AI parking but useless for GSX pushbacks on the cargo ramps so here the ADE is used to modify the apron links (I never use AI so I have more choices on how to solve problems with AF files). I use Google Earth to look at where my UPS, FDX or GTI is parking and then set up something similar with ADE.  Just adds an hour to flight planning.... but I keep track of all my mods in a text file so I only have to do it once per location.

I am wondering if the user can modify the airport files with ADE to get better usage/assignment of cargo parking, why doesn't the developer? Is it so much work?

- Harry 

Due to how p3d gives priority to ai aircraft specifications, even with correct afcad you will see for eg both emirates cargo and pax specified aircraft parked at any parkings with code UAE based on avilability and size, regardless of being a gate or cargo ramp. One workaround would be to remove parking code values from all aircrafts where the cargo department use the same airline code so that they park at correct parking types. For instance singapore airlines SIA/SQC, lufthansa DLH/GEC will not have this issue while etihad ETD/ETD and qatar QTR/QTR will.

2 hours ago, him225 said:

One workaround would be to remove parking code values from all aircrafts where the cargo department use the same airline code so that they park at correct parking types. For instance singapore airlines SIA/SQC, lufthansa DLH/GEC will not have this issue while etihad ETD/ETD and qatar QTR/QTR will.

I am not sure if I completely understood. Could you please explain it at the following example of China Airlines (which I took from UTL).

[fltsim.4]
title=UTLive_74Y.CAL.CAL
sim=74Y
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=CAL.CAL
atc_airline=DYNASTY
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=CARGO
atc_parking_codes=CAL,CAL

ui_manufacturer=Ultimate Traffic Live
ui_type=Boeing 747-400 Freighter
ui_variation=China Airlines

ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby=Ultimate Traffic Live / Craig Crawley
description=Repainted by Boris LeVeve

- Harry 

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

I am not sure if I completely understood. Could you please explain it at the following example of China Airlines (which I took from UTL).

[fltsim.4]
title=UTLive_74Y.CAL.CAL
sim=74Y
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=CAL.CAL
atc_airline=DYNASTY
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=CARGO
atc_parking_codes=CAL,CAL

ui_manufacturer=Ultimate Traffic Live
ui_type=Boeing 747-400 Freighter
ui_variation=China Airlines

ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby=Ultimate Traffic Live / Craig Crawley
description=Repainted by Boris LeVeve

In above it would be removing the line atc_parking_codes=CAL,CAL, which should prevent the aircraft from parking at gates coded for CAL pax. Another solution would be to add a fictious C at the end of all cargo codes of such airlines such as CALC to make the code distinct from pax, both in aircraft cfg and airport afcads.

• Upvote 1

I’ve always used the method of adding a C at the end, the same way I add an X to the end for regional partners (ACAX, DALX etc).

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thank you guys. I will try this. Seems easy enough.

- Harry