Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Cargo vs Pax

Recommended Posts

At many add-on airports I see cargo ai a/c where pax ai a/c should be and vice versa. Is there anything what we or developers could do against this? If I recall correctly, aircraft.cfg defines whether it is ia cargo or pax machine, and the airport layout (airport file) defines where it should park. Sounds easy enough, but why does it not work correctly?


- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.8 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSDs 1+2 TB (P3Dv5.x + ORBX). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+OLC, all FTX Regions, all TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, CH, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. Weather ASP5. F1 GTN complete. AI Traffic: AIG OCI

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nemo said:

At many add-on airports I see cargo ai a/c where pax ai a/c should be and vice versa. Is there anything what we or developers could do against this? If I recall correctly, aircraft.cfg defines whether it is ia cargo or pax machine, and the airport layout (airport file) defines where it should park. Sounds easy enough, but why does it not work correctly?

Make sure to input the airline parking codes.
For example;
United
atc_parking_codes=UAL
atc_parking_types=GATE

Cargolux
atc_parking_codes=CLX
atc_parking_types=CARGO


 

 

Share this post


Link to post

If there are no CARGO parking spots large enough for a particular AI plane (or none with the relevant parking codes), it will park at any GATE that is large enough. The same applies in reverse.


Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Share this post


Link to post

Does this mean that airport developers don't care enough about these parking codes and the amount and size of the parking lots. I am using UTL and see wrong parking of their cargo a/c at KLAX (FSDT) and RCTP (PacSim) for example. The aircraft.cfg files of UTL cargo a/c seem to be correct, though I did not check all.


- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.8 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSDs 1+2 TB (P3Dv5.x + ORBX). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+OLC, all FTX Regions, all TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, CH, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. Weather ASP5. F1 GTN complete. AI Traffic: AIG OCI

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Does this mean that airport developers don't care enough about these parking codes and the amount and size of the parking lots.

Sure, for a lot of addons, they have only generic parkings.

With big liners, when beginning new scenario, sometimes... I must changing of gate or parking because the choiced one in the listing is to small. To correct this now, I follow Navigraph maps... And when have time, I correct with ADE for the liking airports.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Nemo said:

Does this mean that airport developers don't care enough about these parking codes and the amount and size of the parking lots. I am using UTL and see wrong parking of their cargo a/c at KLAX (FSDT) and RCTP (PacSim) for example. The aircraft.cfg files of UTL cargo a/c seem to be correct, though I did not check all.

Some are certainly better than others.  There are a lot of cargo parking locations missing from FSDT KLAX unfortunately.


Dave

Current System (Running at 1440p): ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490, i9 10900k @ 5.1Ghz, RTX2080ti, 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler

Share this post


Link to post

I almost 80% of the time have to use ADE to modify the AF file for an addon airport I paid for to set up a cargo space.  KLAX is one, but also the newest KSDF, which is a UPS hub, doesn't have parking on the South ramp for their B744/B748 aircraft.  This has been mentioned in the FSDT forum a while ago so maybe it will be picked up. Also the new Aerosoft PANC is designed for AI parking but useless for GSX pushbacks on the cargo ramps so here the ADE is used to modify the apron links (I never use AI so I have more choices on how to solve problems with AF files). I use Google Earth to look at where my UPS, FDX or GTI is parking and then set up something similar with ADE.  Just adds an hour to flight planning.... but I keep track of all my mods in a text file so I only have to do it once per location.


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, downscc said:

I almost 80% of the time have to use ADE to modify the AF file for an addon airport I paid for to set up a cargo space.  KLAX is one, but also the newest KSDF, which is a UPS hub, doesn't have parking on the South ramp for their B744/B748 aircraft.  This has been mentioned in the FSDT forum a while ago so maybe it will be picked up. Also the new Aerosoft PANC is designed for AI parking but useless for GSX pushbacks on the cargo ramps so here the ADE is used to modify the apron links (I never use AI so I have more choices on how to solve problems with AF files). I use Google Earth to look at where my UPS, FDX or GTI is parking and then set up something similar with ADE.  Just adds an hour to flight planning.... but I keep track of all my mods in a text file so I only have to do it once per location.

I am wondering if the user can modify the airport files with ADE to get better usage/assignment of cargo parking, why doesn't the developer? Is it so much work?


- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.8 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSDs 1+2 TB (P3Dv5.x + ORBX). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+OLC, all FTX Regions, all TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, CH, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. Weather ASP5. F1 GTN complete. AI Traffic: AIG OCI

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Due to how p3d gives priority to ai aircraft specifications, even with correct afcad you will see for eg both emirates cargo and pax specified aircraft parked at any parkings with code UAE based on avilability and size, regardless of being a gate or cargo ramp. One workaround would be to remove parking code values from all aircrafts where the cargo department use the same airline code so that they park at correct parking types. For instance singapore airlines SIA/SQC, lufthansa DLH/GEC will not have this issue while etihad ETD/ETD and qatar QTR/QTR will.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, him225 said:

One workaround would be to remove parking code values from all aircrafts where the cargo department use the same airline code so that they park at correct parking types. For instance singapore airlines SIA/SQC, lufthansa DLH/GEC will not have this issue while etihad ETD/ETD and qatar QTR/QTR will.

I am not sure if I completely understood. Could you please explain it at the following example of China Airlines (which I took from UTL).

[fltsim.4]
title=UTLive_74Y.CAL.CAL
sim=74Y
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=CAL.CAL
atc_airline=DYNASTY
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=CARGO
atc_parking_codes=CAL,CAL

ui_manufacturer=Ultimate Traffic Live
ui_type=Boeing 747-400 Freighter
ui_variation=China Airlines

ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby=Ultimate Traffic Live / Craig Crawley
description=Repainted by Boris LeVeve


- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.8 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSDs 1+2 TB (P3Dv5.x + ORBX). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+OLC, all FTX Regions, all TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, CH, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. Weather ASP5. F1 GTN complete. AI Traffic: AIG OCI

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nemo said:

I am not sure if I completely understood. Could you please explain it at the following example of China Airlines (which I took from UTL).

[fltsim.4]
title=UTLive_74Y.CAL.CAL
sim=74Y
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=CAL.CAL
atc_airline=DYNASTY
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=CARGO
atc_parking_codes=CAL,CAL

ui_manufacturer=Ultimate Traffic Live
ui_type=Boeing 747-400 Freighter
ui_variation=China Airlines

ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby=Ultimate Traffic Live / Craig Crawley
description=Repainted by Boris LeVeve

In above it would be removing the line atc_parking_codes=CAL,CAL, which should prevent the aircraft from parking at gates coded for CAL pax. Another solution would be to add a fictious C at the end of all cargo codes of such airlines such as CALC to make the code distinct from pax, both in aircraft cfg and airport afcads.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve always used the method of adding a C at the end, the same way I add an X to the end for regional partners (ACAX, DALX etc).


Dave

Current System (Running at 1440p): ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490, i9 10900k @ 5.1Ghz, RTX2080ti, 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you guys. I will try this. Seems easy enough.


- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.8 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSDs 1+2 TB (P3Dv5.x + ORBX). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+OLC, all FTX Regions, all TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, CH, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. Weather ASP5. F1 GTN complete. AI Traffic: AIG OCI

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,100.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...