Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Why do yoke and throttle makers not use Hall Effect sensors?

Pots based on hall sensor technology still cost an average of 30-50 each. I agree that customers should at least have a choice to pay the additional cost. It's important to remember that if item A costs 200 without hall sensors , and that same item  costs 400 with hall sensors, that's twice the cost. The customer needs to know and must have a choice. My approach is to have hardware in which some wearable components like pots can be changed easily, which is not the case with the Saitek.

• Upvote 1

@flyforever, that would be 30-50 per axis I presume so for a 4 axis throttle quadrant that would add up to 200USD (or 150UKP).

Given they would outlive any pots alternative I'm sure there are many who would like the option. I certainly would as long-term they would be the cheaper option and would sell second-hand in a heart beat.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

43 minutes ago, flyforever said:

Pots based on hall sensor technology still cost an average of 30-50 each. I agree that customers should at least have a choice to pay the additional cost. It's important to remember that if item A costs 200 without hall sensors , and that same item  costs 400 with hall sensors, that's twice the cost. The customer needs to know and must have a choice. My approach is to have hardware in which some wearable components like pots can be changed easily, which is not the case with the Saitek.

There are three of them in the Thrustmaster T 16000M and the total cost for that stick is around $50. Hall effect IC's have been around forever and are inexpensive. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

20 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

There are three of them in the Thrustmaster T 16000M and the total cost for that stick is around $50. Hall effect IC's have been around forever and are inexpensive. 

Two, actually...the throttle axis on the T16000M is a pot...at least that's what the Guillemot customer service guys told me.

The bare Allegro HE chips I used were ~$2.50 each in quantities >10.  The Honeywell rotary HE sensor units were $45, IIRC.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

22 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Two, actually...the throttle axis on the T16000M is a pot...at least that's what the Guillemot customer service guys told me.

The bare Allegro HE chips I used were ~$2.50 each in quantities >10.  The Honeywell rotary HE sensor units were $45, IIRC. 

Regards

You are correct, I was thinking the three axis of flight, forgot one of them is my CH rudder pedals...LOL.....$45 for a hall effect IC is a ton of money, must be made out of solid gold. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

The price of $3.50 does not include the circuit board and the mechanical components. Essentially, the chip alone is useless.

As to the Thrustmaster, only a mass produced unit that sells potentially millions can justify the use of hall sensors. That is, if i were guaranteed 100,000 or more sales of my product, I would contract for 400,000 hall sensor pots at a great discount. This calculation does not apply on small quantities.

Clearly, Saitek had the market to go hall. They didn't because it added a few additional dollars net profit  per unit  to their sales.

6 hours ago, crosswind said:

Where PFC really should hang their heads is the cost of repairing the item (its almost the same as buying a new product from them).  I bought a defective yoke from them and sent it back 3 times before they could get it right, and I had to pay for shipping both ways on top of the repair costs.  While their products are well built for the most part, and will last for eons to come, they certainly do not entice simulation enthusiast to come back for upgrades or re-purchase.

The only time I will purchase stuff from PFC is if I am doing a professional build for a client.

PFC however, does offer hall effect sensors in their yokes (but you must specify when placing your order -which can now be done online), not sure about the throttle quads and rudder pedals.  Another solution is a fairly new competitor VirtualFly, makers of the Yoko yoke and throttle quadrants and they use hall effect sensors.  The price range is comparable to PFC's, and I think that the quality is just as good or even better.  MFG Crosswinds also makes a set of rudder pedals which has gotten rave reviews among the flight simulation community as well, and they to if I am not mistaken use hall effect sensors.

Cheers

Yeah I agree! My usb port stopped working in the back of my Cirrus 737 yoke and I opted to repair it myself. The parts cost my $250 with shipping from PFC. The parts probably cost PFC $10. I will never buy another product from them!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

3 hours ago, w6kd said:

I don't know of any stock rudder pedal units that use HE transducers.

The MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedal Units use Hall Effect transducers.  From their product page:

Unparalleled accuracy, longetivity and response time
High resolution contactless magnetic sensors guarantee high precision without degradation over time, making spikey potentiometers thing of the past. Modern electronics provide up to 500 updates per second

3rd generation triaxis digital Hall sensor on rudder axis ( 4096 positions ) and analog hall's for brakes ( 2048 positions per brake )

MFG Crosswind

Oops, just noticed that Yukon Pete already noted this.

Edited by jt_williams
Credit to Yukon Pete for noting MFG
  • Upvote 1

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

5 hours ago, ErichB said:

No, the Yoke has Hall Effect sensors.  The Throttle Unit has potentiometers.

Correct.  Unfortunately my TQ6 lost one potentiometer while in warranty, but has now lost a seond one out of warranty (18 months since purchase) and I'll find out soon what the replacement cost will be.  Will post when I learn.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

9 minutes ago, jt_williams said:

The MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedal Units use Hall Effect transducers.  From their product page:

Unparalleled accuracy, longetivity and response time
High resolution contactless magnetic sensors guarantee high precision without degradation over time, making spikey potentiometers thing of the past. Modern electronics provide up to 500 updates per second

3rd generation triaxis digital Hall sensor on rudder axis ( 4096 positions ) and analog hall's for brakes ( 2048 positions per brake )

MFG Crosswind

Oops, just noticed that Yukon Pete already noted this.

Have had mine for 18 months of heavy use and they work perfectly. The software is great.  When they get out whack from too many FSUIPC adjustments, they snap back every time.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

58 minutes ago, wizzards said:

If you have a Saitek pro and feel the need to upgrade to hall effect sensors just have a go

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5njrm5wbWk 

I don't have the skills to do anything like that. For those who do it seems they could make a fair bit of money but offering to upgrade yokes for customers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Gentlemen.... I'm looking to upgrade my yoke. I was considering a Yoko. I'm still unsure after searching and reading if the current Yoko use Hall sensors or not. Nothing from the vendors pages I see. I note a post here that VirtualFly is "rumored" to be adding them this year. I guess I should hold off if this is the case. Can anyone confirm current yokes DO NOT? Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

Bob

21 minutes ago, Radial9 said:

Gentlemen.... I'm looking to upgrade my yoke. I was considering a Yoko. I'm still unsure after searching and reading if the current Yoko use Hall sensors or not. Nothing from the vendors pages I see. I note a post here that VirtualFly is "rumored" to be adding them this year. I guess I should hold off if this is the case. Can anyone confirm current yokes DO NOT? Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

Bob

Wait till the first of the year( I think they said January). They will be releasing there new Yoko Yoke with Hall sensors and a hat switch.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /