Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

CPDLC explained

Oh yeah, I wasn’t  suggesting for a minute that printing at home would be a good thing to do, there’d be no need. Just giving an example of how  the aircraft printer is  used in normal operation.You end up with slips of paper everywhere on the centre consol, the more conscientious FOs actually bring a paper clip to put them all in a neat pile! You wouldn’t want that at home really.

Unless of course saitek did actually do a small roll printer!😉

Jon Bunting

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

4 hours ago, xTiMm_ said:

take that!! 😄

ha - I'd argue that's worse. Yeah, it's rolled...but...segmented label paper? That'll add up quickly...

Kyle Rodgers

Actually printing to Kindles could also work.

My mind's eye just pictured a 1960s cartoon where the biggest fastest computer built by man was asked the question, "Is there a God?" After much whirling sounds, tapes running back and forth, lights flashing a buzzer suddenly sounds and a tiny little slip of paper is spit out of a slot.  On the small piece of paper is printed, "Now there is."

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

ha - I'd argue that's worse. Yeah, it's rolled...but...segmented label paper? That'll add up quickly...

It took me only 30min. to create a word-template that the printer only printed on these labels size 😄

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

3 hours ago, xTiMm_ said:

It took me only 30min. to create a word-template that the printer only printed on these labels size 😄

If you think about, the label maker can pretty much can do the same thing.

Depending on the size the label. Using a PT 1880 with 1.5" or 35 mm tapes. 

Bob

Edited by BobFS88

The aircraft printer is a thermal printer.

Years ago I once got a bit lazy with my logbook and instead of filling it in after every flight I’d just take a print out of the flight details and times from the ACARS 0001 screen. When I got home I’d stick my slip of ACARS paper into a plastic bag in my desk along with 100s more and promise myself that soon I’d transfer all the times across to my logbook.

When that day finally came I tipped out all my bits of paper onto the floor only to discover that due to the nature of the thermal paper all the details had faded away and I was just left with blank pieces of paper !.....how I laughed.

cheers

Jon Bunting

• Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, jon b said:

Years ago I once got a bit lazy with my logbook and instead of filling it in after every flight I’d just take a print out of the flight details and times from the ACARS 0001 screen. When I got home I’d stick my slip of ACARS paper into a plastic bag in my desk along with 100s more and promise myself that soon I’d transfer all the times across to my logbook.

When that day finally came I tipped out all my bits of paper onto the floor only to discover that due to the nature of the thermal paper all the details had faded away and I was just left with blank pieces of paper !.....how I laughed.

cheers

Jon Bunting

I could see myself doing exactly the same.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, jon b said:

So what'd you end up doing for your logbook.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I managed to get the missing details from the airline’s crew records department. I’ve since carried a small logbook in my bag now for many years and fill it out at the end of every flight

• Like 1

787 captain.  

8 hours ago, jon b said:

I managed to get the missing details from the airline’s crew records department. I’ve since carried a small logbook in my bag now for many years and fill it out at the end of every flight

Very good... my logbooks have become very special treasures that bring back memories of flying for almost five decades.  No longer flying now I am glad I often annotated each record and allow me now to recall pie and coffee at the Nut Tree, or the no gyro IMC approach and the hundreds of other adventures I've had.

Dan Downs KCRP