Sign in to follow this  
SimPilotNL

GTN750 not picking up GS on RNAV/LPV approach (resolved)

It will be delayed for one more day unfortunately, last minute changes.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 2/6/2019 at 7:34 PM, RXP said:

It will be delayed for one more day unfortunately, last minute changes.

Still no update???  Any new ETC?

We've just recovered our website late last evening (our time), we're resuming couse preparing the release, hopefully today.

• Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Well..I just udpated to 2.5.12 and I'm not seeing it act any differently as to capturing the GS in the Carenado S550 Citation II.  I reset everything to the default GTN750 settings and then went under AFMS and selected Engage Autopilot APPR so that it is Enabled.  I tried a flight and no GS intercepted on approach.  I then reread your release notes in your forum post and it said "Requires AFMS GPS Selected".  So I selected that (which then Grayed out the "Engage Autopilot on APPR") and tried the same flight again.  This time when the approach was activated I got a button stating to press it before pressing APPR.  So I pushed that and then APPR but still the same results.   Does Reality XP actually own the Carenado Citation II and do actual tests with it?  If so, then I'm missing something obvious and would like to know where to go from here.

Yes, I concur. Seems like nothing has changed with the Carenado Citation for XP. The workaround to turn off GTN750 and restart it still works so that's what I'm going to continue to do. 

SJED

@ibgregr Thank you for the additional information. We do not own nor test the Citation in itself, however, there was blatant errors introduced in v2.5.11 regarding the autopilot which are now fixed in v2.5.12. This doesn't mean it will help with the Citation in particular, but it will help with all aircraft in general.

As for the settings you've got them reversed (or there is bug in our code): When disabled (empty rectangle) you are set to the default value which shows right new to the right of the option. When enabled (filled rectangle) you are not using the default value and again it shows to the right as well. For example, GPS Selected empty rect, default, shows 'Auto' whereas filled rect, non-default, shows 'Prompt' which is what you get. When 'Prompt', the 'Engage APPR' option grays out because it is no longer relevant in this mode (Prompt).

Now, one of the issue reported is the Citation NAV mode locked in 'Arm' instead of 'On'. Is v2.5.12 solving this on your systems? If it does, can you then at least manually 'Arm' the APPR mode? And if you do, is the APPR mode automatically changing to 'On'? 

Otherwise I suspect the autopilot in this aircraft is trying to be 'clever' and doesn't Arm/On the modes via the underlying X-Plane autopilot system, rather it 'simulates' on its on the 'ARM' modes, and try to engage the modes to 'ON' whenever it sees fit. This is most likely where there is an issue with the GTN in this aircraft: it might just be specific an autopilot logic upon which the GTN has no control (when issuing the APPR mode XPlane command it does nothing) and the autopilot code makes assumptions about what is the actual 'GPS/NAV' signal coming in wrongly.

Jean-Luc,

I tried the settings both ways.  No matter what I do the Autopilot never comes out of NAV-Armed APPR-Armed.  Below is how I make this flight:

1. Setup flightplan between KAFW -> KFWS
2. Load the "RNAV 17R GPS LPV" approach (but not activated yet)
3. Take off from KAFW...turn on AP and select ALT
4. Select NAV mode which shows NAV->Armed.  The plane then starts navigating directly to KFWS
5. Once I am on path I go and activate the approach and and at that time I get APPR-Armed
6. From that point forward it stays in NAV-Armed and APPR-Armed.  (I can't even get this to work when I do the disable plugin, restart flight, and enable plugin)

The GS is never captured.

Here is my .ini file settings that I currently have:

[GTN]
; comma separated list of gauges
gauges = GTN_750_1

[GTN_750_1]
; comma separated list of render targets.
drawto = WINDOW, PANEL3D
; is the master device if true.
MasterDevice = true
; aviation db: 0: nav_db2_grm, 1: nav_db2, 2: nav_heli_db2_grmn, 3: nav_heli_db2
NavDbType = 1
UseFuelData = false
FuelType = JETA
AFMS.auto_nav_appr = 1

[GTN_750_1.WINDOW]
; display window if true.
visible = true
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = WINDOW
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 2563,1738,1278,790
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false (use SHIFT to override)
usemouse = true
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft = false
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires XP11.1).
popright = true
; VR mode position and dimension (left,top,width,height) (requires XP11.20)
vrmode.rect = 0,790,830,790
; display as popout window if true (requires XP11.1).
undocked = false
; display mouse tooltips if true.
tooltips = false
; freeze display position if true.
locked = false

[GTN_750_1.PANEL3D]
; display window if true.
visible = true
; show screen only gauge if true.
nobezel = true
; display type: WINDOW,PANEL2D,PANEL3D,PANELS
frame.type = PANEL3D
; display position and dimension (left,top,width,height)
frame.rect = 1218,2048,830,1024
; screen only border size (pixels).
border.size = 0
; screen only border color (#RGB or #RGBA).
border.rgba = #000000
; enable mouse clickspots if true, disable if false (use SHIFT to override)
usemouse = true
; left mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires SHIFT+left mouse button).
popleft = true
; right mouse button on the screen toggles popup window if true (requires XP11.1).
popright = true

It must be very specific to this aircraft though, as I'm sure it is working fine with other aircraft in your hangar as expected?

PS: I certainly love the new 'Optimize Settings File' which by default reduces your [GTN_750_1] section to the bare minimum and removes clutter at the same time!

Of course we know the GTN works with other planes. That has always been what everyone says. But it seemed RealityXP was confident that this update was going to resolve the issue specifically with the Citation...but it’s not the case. I have to say I’m a bit disappointed that you do not even own the aircraft to test with yet you were almost sure you had found the issue and addressed it. So it sounds like at this point that RealityXP is through trying to figure out what the issue is with this plane. I figured this was going to turn into a finger pointing type of issue as Carenado thinks their plane is fine and RealityXP thinks their GTN is fine. Doubt we will ever get to the bottom of it.

I would be ok if the trick of disabling, restarting flight and re-enabling worked for me but I’ve only had it work once so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong since other people have it working. So at this point the GTN does not work properly with the primary plane I fly. 

Sounds like a Carenado  issue specific to the Citation which I don't own. I have 5 or 6 carenado aircraft and .11 wasn't working properly with them. 12 has now solved the Vnav approach issues with the Carenado aircraft I have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ibgregr said:

I would be ok if the trick of disabling, restarting flight and re-enabling worked for me but I’ve only had it work once so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong since other people have it working. So at this point the GTN does not work properly with the primary plane I fly. 

I deleted and resinstalled the Carenado Citation and for now I can at least use the workaround to get things to function properly.  It would still be nice if Reality XP could mimic that behavior (via a checkbox) so that we could select that for this aircraft...and any others that might exhibit this same issue.  But again..at least the workaround is fixing it for the time being.

All...If you are having this issue with the Carenado Citation please go open a ticket with Carenado.  I just got a response that my ticket is the first one they have ever received for this issue.  You can submit a ticket at:

https://carenado.zendesk.com

This is what they said:  "We just integrate the F1 GTN750 and we don't have the issues you are mentioning, actually, this is the first ticket we receive with this issue." and I responded to them that I'm talking about the Reality XP version of the GTN750.  So again...please open a ticket with them if you are having this issue so that they might show some interest of looking into the problem.

• Like 1

Here is the latest response I received from Carenado.  Sounds like there is hope in the future that this will be fixed in the Citation II.  But no ETC yet....

Greetings,
Thanks for writing, we're in the middle of the process of updating our XP11 aircraft to correctly work on XP11.31 also there's a new version of RXP GTN750, so this will be fixed in the next package we release for the aircraft, sadly, we don't have a specific timeline yet, but will be soon.
Regards

Carenado.

• Like 1