Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Just Flight v Aerosoft DC-8

Already have the Just Flight's DC-8 with the updated Service Packs, etc , but want to know is the Aerosoft DC-8 better than JF's and by how much? Is it worth a buy?

Thanks for any anticipated replies.

Hello,

I have both so my comment is at least informed.

A few aspects of the Just Flight Version are still very good but overall,

there is no real comparison and the Aerosoft version is now the only one

installed here.

• Like 1

My experience with the JustFlight DC-8 (50 to 70 series):

- Some models dragged my frame rate down to 2 to 3 FPS due to some kind of bug
- The models that did not possess that bug still were much too hard on frames
- Something in the copy protection or so clashed with my Antivirus (at least that's what support told me) and prevented some gauges from operating
- Some other, minor stuff

After some troubleshooting with JF's support, I got a refund.

So in my experience:

The models do look good and cover the whole DC-8 family, but that's about it.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I too found a problem with it in FSX-SE never mind P3D which is my main sim platform nowadays, and I ditched it long ago, putting it away in the hangar as JF were aware of a bug and said it'd be rectified in a follow-up SP.

I never ever got round to ever getting it out of the hangar again but your answers have now convinced me that it can stay there and instead will opt for the Aerosoft version.

Thanks for that.

From what support told me, an update is low on the priority list.

In JF's defense, the DC-8swere developed under contract by a third party and the in-house team did already fix it up quite a bit in terms of code for the service packs.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bjoern said:

From what support told me, an update is low on the priority list.

In JF's defense, the DC-8swere developed under contract by a third party and the in-house team did already fix it up quite a bit in terms of code for the service packs.

It’s a pity that the JF in-house development team do not apply their undoubted talents to more airliners rather than leaving the development with third parties such as Aeroplane Heaven. The in-house team have produced some excellent GA aircraft recently and rather than having to perform the almost inevitable post-release repair of these third party airliners, it would surely be better for JF’s reputation if they developed the airliners themselves. 

Bill

Spot-on, Bill. Which is why these days my enthusiasm for supporting JF is on the wane, albeit their very good customer service.

I don't have the Aerosoft one as I don't have P34D and so far that's the only platform. But I agree with all that was said about the JF model. Many of their products are first class and they are a great company to deal with when you have problems, but some of their products are just not in the same league as others. The DC-8 is one of them. I don't even have it installed anymore

The Aerosoft DC 8 is now available for FSX and FSX-SE as well as P3D v4.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:39 PM, scianoir said:

It’s a pity that the JF in-house development team do not apply their undoubted talents to more airliners rather than leaving the development with third parties such as Aeroplane Heaven. The in-house team have produced some excellent GA aircraft recently and rather than having to perform the almost inevitable post-release repair of these third party airliners, it would surely be better for JF’s reputation if they developed the airliners themselves.

While not as bad as the third party models, the in-house stuff is not perfect either. Had massive framrateissues with the Tornado and massive VAS issues with the L-1011. With more emphasis on performance optimization, these could be 10 by 10.

Due to less required complexity in terms of models and systems, it's not much of an issue in the GA lineup though, which is very good.

I'd say go with the Aerosoft one personally, although the JF DC-8 is nice visually, it's an FPS hog and it has several niggling issues which need sorting too, so like many, I don't even have it installed,Shame really, as it is a nice model. Same goes for their L-1011, they either need to sort that out too, or someone else should have a go at making a decent one. To be fair to JF, they do make a lot of stuff and most of their other airliners and GA aeroplanes are worth a look, but in this case, go with the Aerosoft one..

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

18 hours ago, nolonger said:

The Aerosoft DC 8 is now available for FSX and FSX-SE as well as P3D v4.

Oops. I just swore not to buy any more addons this month. Oh well, I didn't promise in writing and it was all in my own head anyway so nobody will know except me! LOL Credit card, where art thou?

Edited by kiwiflyer45
  • Like 1

In all fairness, I want to make sure that anyone reading this knows that many Just Flight products are absolutely top-notch. Among them are their Hawker Hunter, Mosquito and Canberra PR9, all of which are incredible. They are also very generous with free demo aircraft so you can try many of their products risk free, and I've found their support staff very helpful and fair. But as someone else pointed out, some of their products are not from their own in-house developers and I think the DC-8 is one of those...

Cheers

Ian

• Upvote 2

Can anyone tell me if the Aerosoft DC-8's yoke is removable in the VC? It seems like it restricts viewing a number of crucial flight instruments and if it's not removable, that would probably be a deal-breaker for me. Otherwise, it looks superb

Edited by kiwiflyer45

The yoke is removeable.  You click on the yellow air pressure brake handle to make it disappear or reappear. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8