Sign in to follow this  
rafikihd

Increasing RAM?

Hello Guys,

I’m planning on Increasing my RAM from 16 to 32 Gb, but before I make my move, will increasing the RAM give me a better performance within P3D?

Thank you in Advance!

Best Regards!

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

Nope. You won't get up over or even near the 16gb when using the sim but the RAM speed may help...faster obviously better.  VRAM is a different story as P3D utilizes as much as it can so an upgraded GPU may be a better investment..albeit a bit more of an expensive one!

Edited by Flic1
  • Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Yeah, more ram wont help you. Faster ram will. Dump your ram for some GSkill 2400 C10 2x8GB.

More RAM will improve matters if you run a lot of stuff alongside your sim and you don't have that much RAM to start off with, and it would load the sim faster with more RAM too if you previously did not have much installed, but you'd only really notice that significantly if you have very little RAM beforehand and it had been using virtual memory to load stuff in. It won't make the actual sim itself run faster in terms of frame rates. The gist of it all is that, generally speaking, an improvement in various hardware means the following...

More/faster RAM will make the sim load your scenario quicker.

A faster/better CPU will run the sim at a quicker frame rate.

A better/faster GPU will make it look prettier.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Awesome Guys! Thank you for your advices! I`ll keep saving my money and make a better investment in a GPU.

9 hours ago, Chock said:

More/faster RAM will make the sim load your scenario quicker.

A faster/better CPU will run the sim at a quicker frame rate.

A better/faster GPU will make it look prettier.

Thank you Chock!

Not even the water is this clear!

Best Regards!

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

Can anybody tell me which spec makes the RAM faster?

I've always understood its the MHZ that one should look for. I.e. 3400 is always going to be quicker than 2666 etc. But I've also read that the latency (which I understand is identified by the C (C10, C16 etc)) is actually more important.

Or is it a balance between high speed and low latency? Does P3D have a preference?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

The only time that more RAM will make a difference is if you are running out while using applications.  This applies for all programs, not just flight sims.

Alan

18 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Can anybody tell me which spec makes the RAM faster?

I've always understood its the MHZ that one should look for. I.e. 3400 is always going to be quicker than 2666 etc. But I've also read that the latency (which I understand is identified by the C (C10, C16 etc)) is actually more important.

Or is it a balance between high speed and low latency? Does P3D have a preference?

Outside of benchmarks, RAM speed really doesn't make any difference.  What is most important these days is to make sure the RAM you install is listed as a Qualified Vendor (QVL) for your motherboard.  You can find that information on the motherboard vendors website.

Alan

1 hour ago, exeodus said:

Outside of benchmarks, RAM speed really doesn't make any difference.

Greg

I am not sure if you are trying to prove or disprove my statement, but that thread showed exactly what I said.  Increasing a benchmark by 2 FPS means nothing to most real world applications.  If that person ran that test using a flight sim instead of a benchmark and achieved those results, then that would be different.  

Alan

34 minutes ago, exeodus said:

I am not sure if you are trying to prove or disprove my statement, but that thread showed exactly what I said.

Did you even read the thread?!?!  It does not prove your statement... quite the contrary.  As Chock noted above (and proven in the thread I linked to), faster memory will allow for quicker scenario loading including when we pan our view.  FPS has nothing to do with that.

Greg

4 hours ago, exeodus said:

If that person ran that test using a flight sim instead of a benchmark and achieved those results, then that would be different.  

My eng is bad dont understand, what benchmark did hi run?

Hi run a saved senario in FSX  with fixed FSX  settings  , thas more like run a Flightsim then a Benchmark

I take from the thread above yhat speed and latancy can nake a difference.

Given that, currently, what's the best balance between the two? Isn't it usually a case of higher speed lower latency?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

On 6/16/2018 at 8:15 PM, exeodus said:

Outside of benchmarks, RAM speed really doesn't make any difference.

running the PMDG 747 at 4x time acceleration while at cruise altitude (30,0000 ft.) over Orbix nor-cal and so-cal with FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.16, LOD 8.5 and TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10: 4133 mhz, no blurries; 3200 mhz, blurries.

23 hours ago, exeodus said:

I am not sure if you are trying to prove or disprove my statement, but that thread showed exactly what I said.  Increasing a benchmark by 2 FPS means nothing to most real world applications.  If that person ran that test using a flight sim instead of a benchmark and achieved those results, then that would be different.  

2 FPS? I'd would say that is a huge number if one going from 18 to 20 fps. Furthermore, using the above given PMDG example I gave you the difference in fps was nil..

Faster RAM is always providing more than common test suggest (because they mostly fail to test it properly), but ONLY if you are running in a CPU limited scenario. As this is almost always the case in FSX and still in P3D, faster RAM helps with this Software. Simple as that. Of course, if you put your settings as such that your 1060 runs permanently 100% (high resolution, high antialiasing settings with dynamic lightning etc.), the CPU limit is alleviated and faster RAM would not help anymore.

BUT: sacrifying 16GB RAM simply for another 16GB RAM with higher clock speed and lower latency might not be worth the buck. Rather try to overclock this i7-4790K to 4.5GHz or beyond. As long as your mainboard and your cooling solution allows it, you get those 12% or more performance-increase for free...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS