Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Beech Baron data

Hi

I'm training myself to fly the built-in Beech Baron. I'm flying entirely manually, but I programmed the system to show me the runway glide path. It works, but in that glass cockpit, there's some data I can't see, such as how far I am from the runway, and in which direction the runway is.! 

I'm sorry if this is obvious, but if appreciate it if someone can point out where I can get this data,I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks, Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

It depends. If the airport has navaids with DME and you tune the receiver it will show. There are moving map programs that will show you the distance. If you have the GPS set to the airprt as a waypoint, the distance to it will be shown.

You might want to read up on the GPS functions and/or the glass cockpit(s) available.

Vic

Note: moved this to hangar chat Gary as it's not specific to P3D but general  flight procedures.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi. I apologise for putting this is in the wrong forum... 

The airport in training at is on the screenshot, with some data in there. I take it this airport does not have ADF/DME for this training? 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A265u5xStiSANkxN8

Thanks, Gaz

Edited by Gary McCluskey

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

First I suggest you get a freeware program called Little Nav Map -  http://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

It is great for good flight planning and airport info.

Your airport has LS/DME so, if you are tuned to the ILS frequency on the approach you will get distance info on your approach.

this is another good reference - http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I do have that Littlenavmap, and I love it. 

I think my problem is reading the data on the glass cockpit, even though I have entered the correct ILS frequency, I can't see where it shows me the distance. In addition, it does not show the direction. 

I will keep working on the problem, but thanks for trying to help. Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

If love to get this working, but I've looked where I can, and can't find any help. What's in prepar3d does not seem to match the real G1000. 

For example, on the soft - keys below the PFD, there is no "ADF/DME" button. I cannot get the circle above those keys to point to what is in NAV1 or NAV2. I have to program the runway course, but there is no pointer to the Runway, this can be seen here as a working version where there is a pointer

I would love any help!

Thanks, Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

Hi Gary,

Unfortunately the default FSX/P3D G1000 implementation is next to useless for actual IFR. There is nothing you can do to 'get it working' -- the functionality simply does not exist to display ADF needles or, I think, DME if I recall correctly. I had briefly considered using the G1000 Baron for our IFR course but these (amongst other) limitations meant it was a total non-starter.

You would either need to find a third-party aircraft with a proper/better G1000 implementation or fly the 'steam' panel (which would be much better for your instrument scan anyway!).

Thanks, Simon. That answers my question! I'm glad it works out that way really because otherwise it was me not seeing something obvious! 

Does anyone have a recommendation for an aircraft I can buy which I can learn the proper procedures in? I don't mind buying one. 

Thanks, Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

Hmmm... This looks great - it also works with G1000, but it looks like a lot more functionality. Looks like a great trainer. Anyone thinks different, let me know :

https://www.justflight.com/product/alabeo-da42-twin-star-for-fsx-and-p3d

Thanks, Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

Even though the default G1000 is not very well simulated, you should be able select a Flight Plan to EGVN, and activate an ILS approach.  That will give you direction and distance information on the G1000.

1. Direct-to key, select EGNV and activate

2. PROC key, select Approach, ILS 05 via TD waypoint, and activate.

Now you can fly to TD and from there to the 05 runway with direction and distance information to guide you..

Initially, you select GPS mode via the G1000 CDI key, that will give you the HSI arrow and magenta map line to follow. When you are on the final approach leg, you can switch to NAV1 mode via the CDI key, which will give you the localizer and glideslope information, assuming that you have the ILS frequency dialed into the NAV1 radio.

This is how real world navigation is done.. :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert