I'd be willing to bet a round golf that my I5 -yeah, i said it """I5""" will out perform Jim's current hardware configuration in P3d V4.2. 

My I5 is not delidded ....and is capable, albeit 80 C., running Cinebench at 5.2 with my $100 cooler.

To the op ...get the Coffee Lake 8600K, 8700K, or 8086, it doesn't matter. All will out perform the 7700k in P3D V4.

22 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Jim,

Notice you are running M.2 drives. Are they worth the extra cost in terms of performance? My new build is identical to yours, but still figuring out the whole M.2 -vs- SATA III thing. No issues with using up PCIe lanes?

Cheers,

Bill

I have a Samsung 960 Evo M.2. The big jump is when you switch from mechanical hard drives to SSD's. The switch from SATA SSD to M.2 NVMe isnt that noticable to be honest, except in benchmarks.

I would say go for SATA SSD if you are on a budget, and perhaps M.2  if you are flush with cash. But don't expect miracles.

Jim might be running his drives in RAID though, so not sure if he's had the same experience.  

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, aerostar said:

Jim,  bet you did have to reactivate WIN10 or you will... check your licence status.

It states Windows 10 is activated and my license is linked to my Microsoft Account.  I haven't heard of anyone yet who has had to reinstall Windows 10 because of a MB upgrade.  I'm sure some have to reinstall, especially those with OEM Microsoft Windows.

31 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Jim,

Notice you are running M.2 drives. Are they worth the extra cost in terms of performance? My new build is identical to yours, but still figuring out the whole M.2 -vs- SATA III thing. No issues with using up PCIe lanes?

Cheers,

Bill

I thought I had posted my 8086K benchmark showing the M.2 performance - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9277830

I am very happy with using the 500GB M.2 for Windows 10.  Fast boot.  The 1TB M.2 is used for FSX and P3DV4.2 installations.  Awesome performance. 

I thought PCIE was the future.  SATA from the really old days.  The only problem with the one M.2 in PCIE mode is that SATA_6G slots 5 and 6 cannot be used.  I have four drives in addition to the two M.2's.  So they fill slots 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.  I have a DVD Drive too and that cannot be used so getting an external one that plugs into a 3.1 USB Port.  I had my internal one working with the Z270 board and my older system, but cannot get it to work on the Z370 board.  Think I currently have it plugged into the SATA_6G slot 5 and maybe it will work in slot 6.  I am just getting my system set up and why I am currently having a couple of issues.  I will get them worked out eventually.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

46 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I have a Samsung 960 Evo M.2. The big jump is when you switch from mechanical hard drives to SSD's. The switch from SATA SSD to M.2 NVMe isnt that noticable to be honest, except in benchmarks.

I would say go for SATA SSD if you are on a budget, and perhaps M.2  if you are flush with cash. But don't expect miracles.

Jim might be running his drives in RAID though, so not sure if he's had the same experience.  

Thanks, currently running SSD for the OS and another for P3D. Wondering if I'd see a performance improvement with the M.2 drives.....?

8086K warranty will cover 5Ghz ... if you don't like to mess with your CPU then the $75 extra for the 8086K might be worth it ... all flight simulators make more demands of one core than all the other cores as thread synchronization must happen and that can only happen on the main core that instantiated the threads.  So having the "primary" usage core running at higher frequency will help and is likely to reduce thread contention (locking resources or redundancy).

With that said, you can get a 8700K to operate at the same frequency as an 8086K via EFI/BIOS settings assuming same cooling solution, so if you don't mine working your BIOS/EFI then you can save yourself $75 with a 8700K.

I would NOT remove the IHS (aka delid), the long term risk to rewards just isn't worth it even if done by someone else using "special tools" ... 100-300Mhz extra just isn't going to provide any noticeable FPS difference and the CPU can be damaged during the process even if it appears fully functional.  But a 8086K or 8700K is a relatively inexpensive CPU, so if you want to remove the IHS and take the risk, then I'd suggest you keep the CPU "naked" and get a special mounting kit for direct contact of CPU with a water block.

38 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I am just getting my system set up and why I am currently having a couple of issues.  I will get them worked out eventually.

What are your issues Jim?

Cheers, Rob.

30 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Thanks, currently running SSD for the OS and another for P3D. Wondering if I'd see a performance improvement with the M.2 drives.....?

I'd say close to zero. I have installed P3D on a regular SSD (SATA3, usual transfer rates) then on a Samsung 960PRO and i didn't notice anything really and the PCIe SSD obliterates the other in benchmarks. Apparently in benchmarks only, day-to-day usage is negligible.

• Like 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

13 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

What are your issues Jim?

Right now it is the DVD Drive not working (because I ran out of SATA slots for it) (my simple solution is to dump the internal DVD drive and get me one of those $10 USB DVD drives.  Overclocking my 4266MHz RAM using XMP.  ASUS forums is going to teach me how.  And, major, major Creative sound card problems as every thing in the computer, creative sound card, NVDIA HD Sound, CPU sound all want to take over the sound even though I have disabled everything in the BIOS except the Creative sound card. Heck, I didn't even connect HD Sound on the MB! But I do not want any solutions even if you beg to give them to me as I want to learn what I did wrong. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm going to assume you have installed the latest BIOS/EFI and Audio drivers from here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Disable nVidia Audio (you'll need to do this anyway if you run FSL A320).  Not sure what you mean by CPU sound?  Isn't providing solutions part of the learning process?

Per your SATA ports, you should be able to get 5 of them functional pending on which port you use for your M.2 ... per manual

AsusSATA1.jpg.d1bf9d9baf53b5c858d47c408857c71d.jpg

So if you're using M.2_1 that will free up SATA ports 2-6 giving you just enough for your DVD.  However, given that DVD's are so slow anyway, it might be better that you go with USB 3.x DVD rather than consume a precious SATA port for it.

Cheers, Rob.

18 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

And, major, major Creative sound card problems as every thing in the computer, creative sound card, NVDIA HD Sound, CPU sound all want to take over the sound even though I have disabled everything in the BIOS except the Creative sound card.

One of the 3 connections to the sound card was not all the way into the sound card.  Works perfectly now.  Disabled all of the other silly sound devices in BIOS and Device Manager.  Apologies to the OP for hijacking your topic!

Submit News to AVSIM

Okay, thankyou to all who have replied!

To conclude: the 8700K will perform better than the 7700K in P3D without overclock, despite it's lower speed?

Cheers!

Oliver Mitchell

3 hours ago, olivermitch99 said:

the 8700K will perform better than the 7700K in P3D without overclock, despite it's lower speed?

I'm not sure what you mean by lower speed?  When running P3D your CPU will be running at Max Turbo Frequency ... for the 7700K that is 4.5Ghz, for the 8700K that is 4.7Ghz.  If it's not running at those frequency then you'll need to check your BIOS/EFI to make sure it's setup for that or check your TBM 2.0 software (make sure you have latest version).

Cheers, Rob.

Edit to my 3DMark 11  result posted earlier...  the figures were a bit low looking so I re-ran the test and this is a more realistic result...  https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12817935

Thanks to FunknNasty for pointing this out.

aero

Edited by aerostar

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

12 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

When running P3D your CPU will be running at Max Turbo Frequency ...

Just to add... But only on one core. And only if one core is active. As soon as there's any activity at all on any of the other cores  max turbo frequency drops. For 8700K/8086K, as soon as there's any activity on a second core it drops to 4.6. 4.5 for 3 cores. 4.4 for 4 and 5 cores and 4.3 when all cores are active.

So the question to ask is how much time does P3D spend on just one core, with zero activity on any of the others? I can't answer that question as I'm not current with P3D. 

Of course, if you switch on Asus MCE, then it will overclock all cores to the  max turbo frequency regardless of activity on those cores. But that's not Intel Turbo Boost of course, it's simply  Asus overclocking all the cores for you to the same frequency as turbo boost would on one core.

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

So the question to ask is how much time does P3D spend on just one core, with zero activity on any of the others? I can't answer that question as I'm not current with P3D. 

When I run P3D, all cores are active.  How do you make it run on just one core?  Thanks for your help!

Submit News to AVSIM

I set up a new rig custom built to run P3dV4.   After decades of flying MS flightsim products I made this switch just few months ago and have not looked back.   Worth every penny.  No ooms and great performance FPS as  Jim mentioned.   Most of my scenery sliders are almost maxed.

ASUS Maximus X Hero MB

I7-8700K w overclock

GTX 1080i

WIn 10 

2TB Samsung 960 Pro SSD

EVGA 1000TT Supernova G3 PSU

G SKILL 32GB Ram 3000MHZ

JOHN

• Like 1