Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Rex Skyforce 3d confusion

I've been out of the flightsim loop for awhile now and have recently started getting back, so much has changed. I was previously using Active Sky+ASCA for my weather engine and cloud textures. I see that Rex Skyforce has been out. Will it work alongside with Active Sky+Asca or is it a complete replacement?

I'm looking for beautiful cloud textures, but if Rex Skyforce replaces and does everything better than what Active Sky+ASCA currently does, I may switch over. I'm not sure if Rex Skyforce is a weather engine or a cloud texture package or both. Can someone clear this up for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You can use Rex for just the clouds and AS for weather.  That is a great combo in my opinion.  Rex has a weather engine but I don't find it as good as AS so I just turn it off and run AS and Rex at the same time.  There should be a thread that shows detailed installation instructions for setting this up. 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

It will work with AS, replacing ASCA clouds and you have to disable the SF3 weather engine. Quite a lot has been written in this forum. - google it.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thanks, just curious what do you guys think about REX Skyforce textures versus ASCA?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Some of us use ASP4 + Skyforce .

Others use ASP4 + ASCA.

Use Search and you will find it all. Myself I use the last combo. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

Thanks, just curious what do you guys think about REX Skyforce textures versus ASCA?

I myself prefer AS with REX SkyForce clouds. Take note that you can't use the dynamic texture loading feature of AS+ASCA when you use REX SkyForce, so the textures you load before starting a flight (or the once you loaded months ago: you do not have to load new textures every time) are the once that are being used and that's it until you manually load new textures. I myself prefer the look of the SF clouds over the dynamic clouds of ASCA though: never quite liked the look of the ASCA clouds and never really noticed an obvious difference with the dynamic texture changes. As with every texture addon it's a very personal choice. Neither is better: they are all good and all a bit different. However, 95% of the users here will agree that the AS weather engine is a lot better than the SF one...!

Check out a few possible combinations of these addons here:

So the textures in REX Skyforce 3D are just clouds, or sky related textures only? Do they replace the textures from REX Texture Direct+Soft Clouds package? I know those included more than just sky and cloud textures but also airport, water, land, lightning and much more.

I'm getting confused with all these overlapping add-ons. Do I keep my REX Texture Direct+SC or get rid of it completely if I'm going to be using the textures from REX Skyforce 3D?

Skyforce is sky and clouds texture, lightning, moon, sun, and maybe more. 

@GSalden nailed it on the head with his comment, it's personal preference. I use AS- Skyforce. I have REX Texture Direct but only use that to change out runway textures. I do not use the sky or clouds on that product anymore. All these products do is replace the textures in the simulator. The last product to  "push" to the simulator wins. 

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Having used both, I definitely prefer Sky Force. It's not a huge gap between the two but overall, Sky Force just blends better and looks more natural overall, in my opinion.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

In my 2c opinion, Skyforce provides a more natural looking Sky environment.  As with the others, I use the AS weather engine and SF for the textures and additional features (visible rain shafts, higher cloud tops etc)

I've been using Skyforce since day one and I'll never go back.  The weather engine sucks, but there's no problem with using Active sky.  I don't use ASCA anymore as Skyforce provides excellent clouds and skies.  Pair AS with Skyforce, and your flying will be transformed, particularly around thunderstorms.  Amazing stuff, and it will only get better as improvements are made over time. 

Just my opinion,

John

Wow, looks like a lot of you are using the AS+Skyforce combo. I can see why. I also have ASCA and never did find the sky/cloud textures decent. 

Could you guys post some screenshots of your skies with Skyforce textures using AS as the weather engine. I would love to see how they look. I was trying to watch youtube videos of skyforce but couldn't find much.

I've never really been happy with Sky Force, and progress from REX comes excruciatingly slow and I'm not sure I'll ever use SkyForce again.  I do keep checking the updates, and then going back to what I've listed below.

To unconfuse.... ActiveSky with ASCA and EVENTEX is absolutely a winner in my book and every high-end simmer i know.

Moreover, I believe HiFi will have some more things coming down the road, and the discounts they provide to existing customers makes placing my money on HiFi.

My very best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

To unconfuse.... ActiveSky with ASCA and EVENTEX is absolutely a winner in my book and every high-end simmer i know.

That's a bit of an odd and remark imho. As if everyone who doesn't use your preferred combination of addons probably is a low-end simmer...? What's a high-end simmer anyway? You probably didn't mean it like that but it sounds a bit condescending.

ENVTEX is one of the absolute worse purchases I made. I regret ever getting that. But anyways getting back on track. I would love to see some screenshots of Rex Skyforce if anyone has some examples they'd like to share.

• Upvote 1