Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Ultimate Traffic Live - Simple Questions (Yep, another thread)

Hi all,

I am contemplating to buy a license for Ultimate Traffic Live, but before I do.  I do have some questions to ask.  And yes, I have been searching all over the forums regarding this application.

1) Am I correct in my assumption that Ultimate Traffic Live engine etc all its calculation is done outside the sim and hence have good frame rates in the sim as the traffic injected? (Kinda like PSXecon)

2) I read somewhere the developer has slowed the updates down in the app? or is it in Active Development. I know this was a huge issue with UT2, and that was the reason I never purchased the license.

Or should I go for another one being developed by Justflight (it sucks that it is a paid beta).

Thanks

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Yes to question one.  Have not heard about issues in question 2.  I was on the UTL beta team, and can attest that the developer was keenly interested in improvements.  I've been using UTL since it was first avaialable in beta form and am very happy with it and have never had any issues with it.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

1) yes it does but, p3d/fsx still has to draw the planes manage the atc etc, so there is still a FPS hit, just less than normal traffic. 

2) developer has posted that there were some issues with updates, but says there will be more updates. I have not seen any updates since I purchased it. 

Im also interested in just flights offering, not sure how it compares to utl. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

The UTL developer is absent at the moment, from what I have gathered he is going through some very hard times due to personal circumstances, if what I heard is true he deserves the required space and have my sympathies.

Hopefully everything will turn out ok and he will return soon.

Best Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, simbol said:

The UTL developer is absent at the moment, from what I have gathered he is going through some very hard times due to personal circumstances, if what I heard is true he deserves the required space and have my sympathies.

Hopefully everything will turn out ok and he will return soon.

Best Regards,

Simbol 

Thanks for letting all of us know about his situation.  Hopefully everything works out for the developer.

• Like 1

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Just now, Skywolf said:

Thanks for letting all of us know about his situation.  Hopefully everything works out for the developer.

No worries, UTL is great as it stands and I would recommend you to get at this stage.

Traffic Global is still in too early release to be recommended in my personal opinion.

If you fly only online then BVAI is the best you can get!

Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, simbol said:

No worries, UTL is great as it stands and I would recommend you to get at this stage.

Traffic Global is still in too early release to be recommended in my personal opinion.

If you fly only online then BVAI is the best you can get!

Regards,

Simbol 

Thank You for the insight.

1.) As others have said yes, but it can sometimes still kill frames. The nice thing is that there is a hotkey to increase and decrease the amount of AI in the sim so you can dynamically adjust if you need to. The sim does not need to reload either.

It's worth it IMHO,

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

1) Am I correct in my assumption that Ultimate Traffic Live engine etc all its calculation is done outside the sim and hence have good frame rates in the sim as the traffic injected? (Kinda like PSXecon)

This is not entirely correct. Only the calculation when and where an aircraft is created is done externally. Once the aircraft has been injected, the sim has full control again, similar to any other AI product. Any FPS impact is more the result of the aircraft models being used, not the AI/flight plan operation itself. If the models are well optimized and don't have too many content errors, they work equally well for either UTL, any BGL based flight plans or a live traffic product. The only thing that the sim does not have to do with UTL is to parse any traffic BGL files and decide if an AI has to be created somewhere. It is debatable if the user can even notice that (compared to the massive impact that the AI aircraft themselves have once they start humming around in the sim). Not to forget that while it doesn't have to handle BGL flightplans, the sim has to deal with the additional load on the SimConnect API interface that UTL uses. In my experience, AI aircraft being created or deleted via SimConnect have a very noticable impact on smoothness (=the sim stutters).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

3 hours ago, newtie said:

Was the PowerPack ever released?

No it has not, for the reason mentioned above, probably.

I used to care about the PowerPack, but now, I was able to manually add Fedex and UPS to my sim, so, I'm ok with not having it.   My standards for AI have dropped over the last 10 years though.  I used to have it all in FSX -- hundreds of BGL based AI with up-to-date schedules and liveries.  Today, I just do not have that kind of time to spend on it.  So, UTL gives me the "plausibly real" AI setup I want.  It is worth it to me, as well.

• Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

One downgrade I find compared to default bgl system is that it does not seem to support real tail numbers or flight levels as provided by the likes of AIG, UTT flight plans. Looking at the addon fedex and ups schdules available in the library they do not appear to use them in the custom schedules either at the moment.

There are still a number of bugs in the software. I have it and enjoy it for the most part but a check of their forums will indicate a number have remained outstanding since the early beta releases. No show stoppers, mostly just features that don't yet work (or work correctly)

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

10 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Only the calculation when and where an aircraft is created is done externally. Once the aircraft has been injected, the sim has full control again, similar to any other AI product. 

This is not entirely correct. PSXseeconTraffic calculates the position, altitude, pitch and bank 25 times per second OUTSIDE your sim and updates via SimConnect calls. They are "slewed through space" so to speak.

Also landing gear, flaps, lights and so on of every AI aircraft are controlled by PSXseeconTraffic outside your sim.

Edited by kiek
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kiek said:

This is not entirely correct. PSXseeconTraffic calculates the position, altitude, pitch and bank 25 times per second OUTSIDE your sim and updates via SimConnect calls. They are "slewed through space" so to speak.

Also landing gear, flaps, lights and so on of every AI aircraft are controlled by PSXseeconTraffic outside your sim.

Hello Kiek,

my post was about UTL, not PSXSeecon

Best regards

LORBY-SI