Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Ultimate Traffic Live - Simple Questions (Yep, another thread)

Maybe I missed it but another advantage of UTL and the way it works (without bgl's) is the initial loading time of the sim. I use UTL and absolutely love. Install it and you are done. Nothing left to do other than set AI in P3D to zero and AI in UTL at the amount you want to: you can even change that setting on the fly (seperately for GA and airliners). I don't really notice a loss of performance, there are planes everywhere, including GA, loading times don't seem to be affected at all, etc. Very happy with it. It's one of the few addons I install everytime I reinstall P3D.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

As for discussions about how programs do what. Apart from BGL flightplans which have been there for many years, a developer can use SimConnect to create and operate AI objects (not only aircraft). To do that, you have 4 options

1. Slew: not only your own aircraft can be put into slew mode, any object can. You can then move it through the Simulator world by sending axis slew commands to it.

2. Freeze and move: this means freezing the object, and then moving it every single frame by changing its position and orientation.

3. Sending it a waypoint list: when you do this, the object will follow that list on its own accord, under control of the simulator AI logic (AI meant literally, this logic controls ALL moving objects, not only aircraft)

4. Sending it a flight plan (only for aircraft): this is the most extenive method, as it puts the aircraft under "control" of the simulator ATC (=Aircraft will ask for clearance, taxi out, depart, land and taxi in on their own, while all the time talking to ATC).

To my best knowledge, UTL uses method 4, as did UT2 before it.

PSXSeecon probably uses method 1 or 2 - but only Kiek can answer that.

Hi Lorby,

Thank you for your overview.

PSXseeconTraffic uses method 2. However, not by frame but at a settable rate per second.

First a SimConnect_AICreateNonATCAircraft call to create an AI aircraft in your Sim and then n times per second (n = 20 ... 30) it sets the aircraft position and orientation by calling SimConnect_SetDataOnSimObject

So "Freeze and move" is a better wording then my "slew through space"  😉

Regards.

Nico

Edited by kiek

I might add, as far as adding (for example) Fedex and UPS to Ultimate Traffic Live -- it is not *that* bad.  When I first looked into it (you can download the Fedex and UPS add-ins here at AVSIM) -- I was pretty overwhelmed.   Once I got into it, it wasn't too difficult, and it really makes KMEM look good now.   If I can do it, you can too.

Edited by Mace
cain't spel

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 hours ago, simbol said:

there is nothing you can do to rush me

Suitcase of money has worked in the past for me.

I know you'll deny this, bein' a public forum and all.

Just sayin'. 

suitcase-with-money-isolated.jpg

14 minutes ago, newtie said:

Just sayin'. 

suitcase-with-money-isolated.jpg

I want to know your story...

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

36 minutes ago, newtie said:

Just sayin'. 

I thought you were not buying any more pre-releases? that is exactly thy Developers rush to release un-finished software.. for the cash!!!

S.

Well, OK...

Maybe the suitcase idea was a bit premature.

Sorta.

Can't fault a guy fer tryin'.

26 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

I want to know your story...

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya. 😁

4 hours ago, tooting said:

Its an OK product. Ive got it, what's incredibly frustrating is the power pack isn't available so you can't add or update the schedules with out alot of faffing around. I understand the developer has family issues, but he did this before with ut2. 

My honest opinion I don't think we will ever see the power pack and the product will stay in the beta quality it is at the moment 

The need for a powerpack is IMO somewhat exaggerated. If you are missing an airline altogether, then there are tools already available, that will convert flightplans into the xml format  which in turn could be incorporated into UTL.

Now, I can't imagine someone constantly amending the  existing database, especially for larger airlines with dozens if not hundreds of daily legs. If one has the intention of doing that, then I suggest he seeks the assistance of a professional other than a software developer.

1 minute ago, ha5mvo said:

The need for a powerpack is IMO somewhat exaggerated. If you are missing an airline altogether, then there are tools already available, that will convert flightplans into the xml format  which in turn could be incorporated into UTL.

Now, I can't imagine someone constantly amending the  existing database, especially for larger airlines with dozens if not hundreds of daily legs. If one has the intention of doing that, then I suggest he seeks the assistance of a professional other than a software developer.

But the tool isn't very good, a few I've converted don't work. 

Once again we are accepting a half finished product because 'it's the norm' 

14ppkc-6.png

56 minutes ago, tooting said:

But the tool isn't very good, a few I've converted don't work. 

Once again we are accepting a half finished product because 'it's the norm' 

No AI product has everything.   They all have flaws.  So they are all "half-finished" if that is one's definition.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

13 hours ago, pmb said:

have been using it alternatively with UTLive for some time now, and according to my experience PSXSeecontraffic has the least effect on fps among the solutions I know. This may be caused by the fact that PSXSeecontraffic runs networked on my laptop freeing resources on the main machine (despite the Simconnect overhead), which can't be done with UTLive, as far as I know,

It's simply from not displaying nearly the same amount of traffic. The bgl and UTL injected traffic shows everything that it's programmed to show which is FAR more than what you will see displayed using PSXSeecon live traffic. It's not a dig at PSXSeecon in any way, but users aren't going to see or have models or paints for every aircraft that PSXSeecon is getting traffic data for. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, Mace said:

No AI product has everything.   They all have flaws.  So they are all "half-finished" if that is one's definition.

his product is no different to the beta version he released.  All I want is for developers to release finished polished products like PMDG and not abandon products half way through which is what he did with UT2 and also what he did with UT live.  Its the same with BBS,QW,Captainsim etc etc 

When I go to work to do a 12 hour shift, I dont do half a flightplan, I dont do half a load sheet, I dont apply for half a slot, I dont put in half the MELS into the system, etc etc.  But im sick of developers doing half a job and then selling it to us

Edited by tooting
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

22 minutes ago, tooting said:

his product is no different to the beta version he released.  All I want is for developers to release finished polished products like PMDG and not abandon products half way through which is what he did with UT2 and also what he did with UT live.  Its the same with BBS,QW,Captainsim etc etc 

When I go to work to do a 12 hour shift, I dont do half a flightplan, I dont do half a load sheet, I dont apply for half a slot, I dont put in half the MELS into the system, etc etc.  But im sick of developers doing half a job and then selling it to 

Agreed.

A number or bugs were identified thru the beta (pre release because now we're all beta testers) process that were reported multiple times but not fixed (or even commented on from the dwceloper).

I understand the developer has some personal issues but this is the same behaviour and MO we saw from him  with UT2 where he disappeared and never came back. Occurres with other developers too as tooting says. It leads to credibility issues.

Unfortunately I don't see the bugs with this program ever being addressed. That said, for me and my needs it's the best that is currently available.

Edited by KL Oo

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs