Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Excellent Response by FSLabs

Hi all,

I just saw this post being mentioned on reddit https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/17605-19-june-2018-news-update/

And I have to say it is an excellent response.  They go in depth on how they are moving forward, and in a nutshell....this makes me feel positive about the company.  I have been wanting to try their products.  Bottom line is we all make mistakes (even if the intention is right), it is all about perception isn't it.  We all are human.

FSLabs is taking big courage with this step and it is a very positive one.

One of things I would suggest to FSLabs is work with PMDG, Majestic, Orbx, Flight 1, Lockheed Martin - especially on how they deal with activation/drm etc. 

This is a great direction taken by FSLabs, and all of these companies do make our sim hobby excellent.

Please keep the responses civil on this thread.  I am just passing the message

PS - FSLSpotlights is free now, I can't wait to try it when P3D 4.3 is out

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Some may call this “damage control” but i’ll just give them a honest thumbs up, commendable response FSLabs!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Some may call this “damage control” but i’ll just give them a honest thumbs up, commendable response FSLabs!

Even Apple did damage control with Antenna gate/Apple Maps (i know, completely different issue...along the same lines in weird sort of technicality...lol).

And Yes, it is very commendable response by FSlabs

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

The money quote:

Beginning with the forthcoming update to our A320-X product, we have decided that we are going to put our trust in you entirely.  While our product installer will still ask you for the serial number issued to you after purchase, we will be eliminating all additional validation that was previously occurring at product run-time.

I'm impressed. I hope it doesn't hurt their bottom line too much but they're heading in the right direction. An activation system that causes much more inconvenience for paying customers than it does for the pirates is never a good idea, in my opinion. The takeaway lesson is forget the pirates, you can't get their money anyway, concentrate on getting mine. As an owner of the FSX FSLabs A320, the chances of me buying the P3D v4 version have just increased.

Pity it took the recent charlie-foxtrots to get them to that point, though. Hopefully the lesson has been learned. 

Bonus news: Spotlights is now free.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That’s very good news and a brave decision by FSL to lighten the validation checks on a licence. I suspect they may have discussed the validation situation with other developers and have concluded that piracy is all but unstoppable. But they were damaging their good name with recent decisions.

Given Froogle publicly stated he would not be commenting further on FSL it will be interesting to see if he now changes his mind and gives them due credit.

The news about Concorde’s development is especially welcome. Good luck to all the FSL team and I hope things go well for them.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Glad to see the spotlight back on excellent products instead of abysmal PR.  They can't really do more than that

• Like 1

Glad to see the spotlight back on excellent products instead of abysmal PR

I see what you did there :wink:

• Like 5

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ray, having just read Lefteris' post in that link, I was totally unaware what had happened to FSLabs as I have been away from here for ages.

What a sad indictment that there is no way in this day and age to combat piracy. It's like the police saying,' we cannot prevent crime, you are on your own!'..

Agree with you re:good news about Concorde.

Rick,

A sad reflection on society when some people don’t think they should pay for anything including music.

Fortunately most people are honest and if I ever come across anyone who had a pirated copy of any FS software I’ll let my feelings be known.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

To be honest, piracy will unfortunately, always find a way, so it really doesn't matter much to legitimate users whether the thing is password protected or whatever, it's just something which makes life harder for legit buyers, but legitimate users will stump up the cash and tolerate the protection because they understand that you only get what you are prepared to pay for; those who are shortsighted enough to not pay for what they get and who then whine about there being no cool add ons, will continue to break the law and find ways to do so whatever protections are in place. So ultimately, as was ever the case, protection methods are merely a brief challenge for hackers and pirates, thus of doubtful use anyway.

Thus I appreciate a developer putting their trust in buyers, because buyers always trust them and pay for the things they want, as I'm sure most Avsim users do too. At this point I only have the FSL A320 for FSX, but I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy their P3D V4 one when that update comes along. That's the real way to show support for developers under threat from people nicking their hard work. So good on FSL for having the integrity to accept that some people will always defraud them, but  not make those who are their friends, who pay for their efforts, then also pay the price exacted by those who hurt the hobby by stealing stuff.

And who cares what any youtube reviewer says about any of this anyway? If any of em have dismissed FSL and said they won't talk about them again, well then good riddance to them, let's see how long that edict lasts, it'll be a good indicator of their integrity, or lack of it more like..

Edited by Chock
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I see what you did there :wink:

Sharp as a razor you are.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A sad reflection on society when some people don’t think they should pay for anything including music.

It's insidious. Society is one terminally sick puppy

• Upvote 3

Credit where it is due. Glad that cooler heads seem to have at least temporarily prevailed at FSL.

James

10 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Sharp as a razor you are.

Been turned into Yoda you have. 😀

• Like 4

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Glad to see FSL getting their act together and hoping for a drama free future from them, I think they have a great product and I am looking forward to their next release. As far as froogle opinion of FSL, I take it with a grain of salt as this guy is part of the beta team for a competitor....

John

• Like 1