• Like 2

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

I thought someone would quip about that. :smile:

Quip, or do not, there is no try.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

19 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Credit where it is due. Glad that cooler heads seem to have at least temporarily prevailed at FSL.

James

Temporarily? Why would you suggest it’s only a temporary change of heart? 🙄

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

40 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Temporarily? Why would you suggest it’s only a temporary change of heart? 🙄

I'm not saying it's temporary; I'm saying we don't know yet. FSL have repeatedly been caught doing less-than-savory things and then been forced to apologize (or at least backpedal), only to then be caught again. While I hope this announcement represents a genuine and lasting change in their ethos/approach to doing business, I'm just suggesting that I will "trust but verify," as they say. I hope my caution turns out to be misplaced.

I don't want to harp on the negative here, and I'm only expanding on this since you asked. I'm encouraged by the announcement and really do hope this is how things will be from here on in.

James

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, honanhal said:

I'm not saying it's temporary; I'm saying we don't know yet. FSL have repeatedly been caught doing less-than-savory things and then been forced to apologize (or at least backpedal), only to then be caught again. While I hope this announcement represents a genuine and lasting change in their ethos/approach to doing business, I'm just suggesting that I will "trust but verify," as they say. I hope my caution turns out to be misplaced.

I don't want to harp on the negative here, and I'm only expanding on this since you asked. I'm encouraged by the announcement and really do hope this is how things will be from here on in.

James

You did say temporary James but I'll accept it was with caveats.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am inclined to suppose that if a lot of the critics of not just FSL, but of other developers too, had experienced having six or seven year's worth of their work stolen repeatedly, they'd at least be a bit more understanding of why that might lead one to go a bit over the line in attempting to prevent that. Not saying it was above criticism, but as ever, walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that.

• Like 7

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

That was indeed a good response. And what really made me jump for joy was the information regarding the Concorde. Would really love to see that gorgeous addon in P3D v4. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

1 hour ago, Chock said:

And who cares what any youtube reviewer says about any of this anyway? If any of em have dismissed FSL and said they won't talk about them again, well then good riddance to them, let's see how long that edict lasts, it'll be a good indicator of their integrity, or lack of it more like..

Love it Chock!

3 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Hi all,

I just saw this post being mentioned on reddit https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/17605-19-june-2018-news-update/

And I have to say it is an excellent response.  They go in depth on how they are moving forward, and in a nutshell....this makes me feel positive about the company.  I have been wanting to try their products.  Bottom line is we all make mistakes (even if the intention is right), it is all about perception isn't it.  We all are human.

FSLabs is taking big courage with this step and it is a very positive one.

One of things I would suggest to FSLabs is work with PMDG, Majestic, Orbx, Flight 1, Lockheed Martin - especially on how they deal with activation/drm etc. 

This is a great direction taken by FSLabs, and all of these companies do make our sim hobby excellent.

Please keep the responses civil on this thread.  I am just passing the message

PS - FSLSpotlights is free now, I can't wait to try it when P3D 4.3 is out

So, we're celebrating a company's decision to behave ethically?  If I steal your money, and vow never to do it again, should I be celebrated?  Seriously, what choice did they have?  They have been blasted on Reddit and YouTube; concerning the latter, Froogle stated he will never speak about FSL again due to their poor ethical track record.  Actions speak louder than words; to date, I think it's fair to question Lefteris ethics, as they related to software development and running a business.  Concerning the latter, this is a pure business decision, nothing more and nothing less; surely you recognize this fact!  Time will tell if they remain committed to this path; I will hold my applause and my money until I see said change over a significant period of time.  Our community is awesome and we deserve nothing but the best!  Just because they build quality addons doesn't give them the right to do what they want.  If they disappear, I assure you someone will rise-up and take their place; outstanding developers have come and gone over the last 4 decades. 

• Upvote 8

Matt King

27 minutes ago, Chock said:

I am inclined to suppose that if a lot of the critics of not just FSL, but of other developers too, had experienced having six or seven year's worth of their work stolen repeatedly, they'd at least be a bit more understanding of why that might lead one to go a bit over the line in attempting to prevent that. Not saying it was above criticism, but as ever, walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that.

Sir, I enjoy reading your post; more importantly, the respect you show towards all perspectives.  With that said, I have to disagree with a few of your assertions.  First, FSL is not the only software company to be plagued by thief's; yet, I have yet to see said companies employ totalitarian (illegal) methods to 'strike back' at piracy.  Also, I find your condemnation against a certain YouTuber to be perplexing.  Specifically, calling out his ethics for refusing to publicize a company with CONFIRMED ethical violations?  I can't help but chuckle at the irony; the YouTuber has done nothing wrong; in fact, he's trying to do the right.  Yet, you call him out for not supporting a company with a well-deserved bad reputation?  Should AVSIM be chastised for banning BlackBox? 

Chock, I have nothing but admiration and respect for you; again, your post are entertaining, fun and educational!  When your gone, your presence is missed.  I'm honestly trying to understand your perspective!  Thank you , Chock! 

• Like 1

Matt King

16 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Our community is awesome and we deserve nothing but the best!  Just because they build quality addons doesn't give them the right to do what they want.  If they disappear, I assure you someone will rise-up and take their place; outstanding developers have come and gone over the last 4 decades. 

We deserve what is provided for us to acquire legitimately. They have every right to protect their products providing it’s within the law.

If you think programmers of the quality of Andrew Wilson and Lefteris et al grow on trees you are mistaken. They are in the elite group. Not all programmers are.

Many are probably League 2 or lower lever if you follow English football. We should be very grateful of their skills. If their work is stolen some may eventually decide its not worth the effort.

I really wish someone would attack the sites that provide these pirated copies. Then they might reflect on their actions.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I can't stand piracy either, Ray.  Its complete BS and unfair to programmers putting food on their family tables. 

Concerning quality programmers, it's not about what I think, it's about what i know based on historical facts.  In 30 years, we have never been without quality programmers, whether it was the legendary 767 PIC, Lvd 767, PSS 777/757, R4PB 747, Realair, or Learndo...all of these companies were replaced by other capable developers (e.g. PMDG, QW, A2A, Majestic, etc...).  I suspect this trend won't end anytime soon.  Besides, being a gifted programmer shouldn't form the basis for doing something that's illegal, immoral or unethical.  In short, acting in this manner makes you no better than those who steal from you.  

Matt King

Matt,

It's not just the skills that are required. It's knowledge of the aircraft that is being modelled. And as you will know the number of people still alive with in depth knowledge of Concorde is sadly limited. Andrew wrote the software for the former BA Concorde simulator down at Brooklands and his knowledge is second to none.

If anything was to happen to FSL or Andrew further development of that aircraft would be seriously hampered. There have been other versions of Concorde but none come close to the FSL one.

I very much doubt any programmer of a Boeing - however good they are - could give us a version of Concorde remotely as good as the one we currently have. It's a completely different aircraft to subsonic conventional aircraft.

• Like 4

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather