Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

POSCON online flying

I have never used POSCON and only really heard about it when watching some of the FSExpo streams.  Does anyone here use the network?  Any objective opinions?

Although It is BETA it is open and available, check https://poscon.net/

I meet their team in Vegas, things look very promising, the developer of Vpilot is supporting their network :wink:.

Regards,
S.

Edited by simbol
Correction of Network status
  • Like 2

POSCON was created by Andrew Heath, a full time commercial pilot and LONG (very long) time controller for the VATSIM New ARTCC.  OVPA is fully supporting and assisting with some elements on this new network.

Putting it in my words... POSCON is a completely new platform that was created over frustrations of getting VATSIM to move on updating the network. For those in the know, VATSIM has talked about upgrading, and though some work was done (not implemented) in my opinion though intentions of a few were really good it amounted to talk. POSCON took action, and created the new network from scatch.

Knowing some of the people involved, I believe this will be the one dominant network for online flying in a realism based environment.  Not that they launched with that goal, but the new tech is what makes it.

POSCON is not yet ready for prime time, but keep watching!

Best wishes.

• Like 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

41 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

POSCON was created by Andrew Heath, a full time commercial pilot and LONG (very long) time controller for the VATSIM New ARTCC.  OVPA is fully supporting and assisting with some elements on this new network.

Putting it in my words... POSCON is a completely new platform that was created over frustrations of getting VATSIM to move on updating the network. For those in the know, VATSIM has talked about upgrading, and though some work was done (not implemented) in my opinion though intentions of a few were really good it amounted to talk. POSCON took action, and created the new network from scatch.

Knowing some of the people involved, I believe this will be the one dominant network for online flying in a realism based environment.  Not that they launched with that goal, but the new tech is what makes it.

POSCON is not yet ready for prime time, but keep watching!

Best wishes.

That's all positive Dave, thanks for the info.  

What concerns me about 'another' network is the dilution of the current network of users.  Some will migrate, some won't  - and consequently you'll have a smaller number of users on each respective network, unless there is a solid uptake to POSCON.  I'm sure you'll agree as the head of OVPA that networks like VATSIM are a great experience only when there are higher volumes of traffic/users at any given time.

Are you able to share the additional benefits POSCON may offer.  VATSIM was at one stage talking about better voice CODECS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ErichB said:

That's all positive Dave, thanks for the info.  

What concerns me about 'another' network is the dilution of the current network of users.  Some will migrate, some won't  - and consequently you'll have a smaller number of users on each respective network, unless there is a solid uptake to POSCON.  I'm sure you'll agree as the head of OVPA that networks like VATSIM are a great experience only when there are higher volumes of traffic/users at any given time.

Are you able to share the additional benefits POSCON may offer.  VATSIM was at one stage talking about better voice CODECS

I do indeed agree!

Many years ago an effort was made to bring IVAO and VATSIM together.  Much a disappointment to everyone, the VATSIM Founder(s) would not concede to sharing the source code for for the network, and without that there simply could be no merger and absolutely no progress made.

It is my hope that POSCON will bring VATSIM and IVAO users together and create a network that is significantly more active, and I've hung my hopes on that.

POSCON and it's new tech brings so many positives that I just can't see too many VATSIM pilots not moving over and I'm hoping the same will be true for IVAO pilots.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

3 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

It is my hope that POSCON will bring VATSIM and IVAO users together and create a network that is significantly more active, and I've hung my hopes on that.

POSCON and it's new tech brings so many positives that I just can't see too many VATSIM pilots not moving over and I'm hoping the same will be true for IVAO pilots.

Well that would be a great day for network users.

• Like 3

I watched a twitch stream and they were talking about POSCON buying out Vatsim, no idea if that has any weight to it?

Dont shoot me....just saying what a few were talking about. 

Rumours that’s all.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

49 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I watched a twitch stream and they were talking about POSCON buying out Vatsim, no idea if that has any weight to it?

Dont shoot me....just saying what a few were talking about. 

Rumours that’s all.

never shooting, I just lost track of all the rumours, facts opinions etc 😛

Victor Roos

I went to Matt's channel, the $50,000 they are offering vatsim is for the stats of the current users on Vatsim.  I guess its a way of allowing people to leave the vatsim network and still keep all of their stats.

• Like 1