Sign in to follow this  
captain420

realityxp gtn units have updateable db but not f1's

Why is that? I wish I had known this before I spent over $100 on both units. Sigh. Should've gotten the realityxp ones instead. Very disappointed.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

They're the same database / both are updatable (but costly for current data)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Really? I didn't know that F1's GTN can be updated. Is it the update method the same as with realityxp's units or different?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I didn't know you could update RXP's any differently then the F1 which is to buy the real DB's for the units.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Both systems appear to use the Garmin Trainer, which means that both can be updated by subscribing to Garmin's data updates... unfortunately, that route is out of the league of most flightsimmers.

I update the Trainer when it comes out every now and then, that is the only way of doing it at no cost...

A

F1 uses an older version of Garmin Trainer than RXP does.  The file structure changed a bit in the different versions of the trainer which, providing one has the data, makes RXP easily updatable, where the F1 version is left behind.  F1 has rejected updating their product to function with the current version of the trainer.

I'm confused about people mentioning a purchase of the GTN database subscription from Garmin. I was under the impression that the subscriptions are linked to the serial number of a real life GTN unit. I may not be just the cost as a barrier.

9 minutes ago, medx421 said:

F1 uses an older version of Garmin Trainer than RXP does.  The file structure changed a bit in the different versions of the trainer which, providing one has the data, makes RXP easily updatable, where the F1 version is left behind.  F1 has rejected updating their product to function with the current version of the trainer.

This is what I originally thought too.

55 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'm confused about people mentioning a purchase of the GTN database subscription from Garmin. I was under the impression that the subscriptions are linked to the serial number of a real life GTN unit. I may not be just the cost as a barrier.

May or may not be the case.  If it is the case, people have found a way around it.

I think that originally people on AVSim were suggesting contacting a person with a real life GTN unit but that is probably a violation of Garmin's EULA. 

I've lost track of this issue so maybe Garmin sells subscriptions to anyone these days. I think that Jepessen sells its own PilotPak GTN update subscription, so maybe that's what people are thinking of.

First of all, it is the Garmin Trainer that incorporates the navdata.

So, if you update the trainer database, it will show up in your airplane, RXP or F1.

As best I know,  there is no violation if you share expired navdata on a one-on-one basis,  just not current navdata.

Depending on which real world Garmin owners you know, recently expired navdata may be available,  just like expired paper charts are often shared as a hand-me-down to sim pilots.

Bert

This is true Bert, the database is in the trainer.  The problem lies within the difference between RXP and F1.  RXP allows for use of Garmin Trainer v6.41.1 where as F1's version only allows for use of v6.21.0.  If you install 6.41.1 with F1, it will not work.  There were file changes between the two trainer versions.  If someone tries to update 6.21.0 with current data it won't work.  Well, there is a way to make it work, but it is a bit drawn out.

F1 decided that the improvements that Garmin made going from 6.21.0 to 6.41.1 were so trivial (Garmin added visual approaches and made no updates to the nav database) that it wasn't worth the effort to update the F1 version of the gauge.

The RXP version has one additional advantage in that if one has two GTN gauges installed in an aircraft, they support crossfill of flightplan data.

Really? I had requested crossfill support from F1 since the beginning. I really wish I went with RXP instead, that was one of the main reasons why I spent over $100 on 2 GTN units from them. I was hopeful that they would add crossfill, but til this day we still don't have a much needed feature. 

Edited by captain420

I don't believe RXP GTN offers crossfill as of yet. Only loading same flight plan in 2 units.

Edited by Bills511