Sign in to follow this  
flyer58

So many OOM issues; How does anyone run FSX/P3D?

Necroposting on AVSIM is not allowed.  This was split from an old topic with the same topic title.  If you have a problem, please review the AVSIM CTD Guide and let us know if you are showing any faulting modules in AppCrashView or the Event Viewer.  If so, post the faulting module name here.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Wow Jim,  Necropost (new word for me). Sounds like a good name for a Heavy Metal band. 

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

10 hours ago, flyer58 said:

AS16 brilliant with FSX .. best there is but OOM word not allowed is a real nightmare ...

You should move to P3Dv4.+, which is a 64-bit application and your OOM problems will be gone. Previous versions of P3D (v3.+ or less) and FSX are 32-bit apps, and they are prone to OOM's.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

ED's advice is spot on unless your system isn't powerful enough to run it at the level you can appreciate.

You didn't mention which version of FSX your running, but if you're still on the disk version then you will benefit in many ways by switching to the Steam version, which has been optimized.  You'll still get OOMs if you don't follow some simple rules, and even then flying into large payware airports like Heathrow and maybe Amsterdam may still give you OOMs.  Only a 64-bit simulator is going to fully mitigate the OOM problem.

1. Don't run with sliders at max.

2. You can have as many payware sceneries installed as you wish, but the only TWO you should have active are the departure and arrival airports.  You can easily use a tool such as Scenery Config Editor (Freeware) to activate/deactivate installed sceneries very quickly and accurately.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Necropost (new word for me).

As the AVSIM Terms of Service states, AVSIM's "goal is to provide an educational and entertainment resource for people with similar interests and a community that is fun to be part of by users from around the world". 😎  The term 'necropost' has been around for some time but some still... well, necropost - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Necroposting

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

From the source (Urban Dictionary) (op. cit.): "Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board". So, I suggest to be more patient and tolerant with such cases. Just a suggestion.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers