Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

New installation

I will do a reinstall of P3D v4 and all the addons in the coming days, and I was wondering if there is a way to change the default path for Prepar3D v4 Files and Add-ons. Now they are located in the documents folder on my computer, but unfortunately I'm running of out space on that disk since a lot of addons also installs into the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. So if there is way to change the location of those two folders so that I could have it on another drive, that would be great.

Marius S

The P3D files in the Documents folders are not very large,  if you are that tight on space you have a problem.  I guess you could use a symbolic link; however, I think you could get back a lot more if you move all the files and installers that are likely in your Downloads folders to the other drive. Flight simulation downloaded files alone take over 80 GB of space in my configuration.  In comparison, my Documents P3D Addon directory is 1 MB (0.001 GB).

Reading your question again, I'm wondering if you have more than just add-on.xml files in your Documents\Prepar3D v4 AddOn folder?  All I have there are the xml files, the actual addon files are located on a separate drive.  Is that the question?

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

As you said, most of what is located in that folder is just the add-on.xml for different products. However, some products puts all of its contents in that folder, instead of just the add-on.xml. (Right now that folder is close to 20 GB, and I only have a 256 GB drive). So I thought by having that folder on another drive, I could force those product to install there instead. However, if that is not possible, I might have to move them manually afterwards (if possible).

Marius S

8 hours ago, Marius_S said:

As you said, most of what is located in that folder is just the add-on.xml for different products. However, some products puts all of its contents in that folder, instead of just the add-on.xml. (Right now that folder is close to 20 GB, and I only have a 256 GB drive). So I thought by having that folder on another drive, I could force those product to install there instead. However, if that is not possible, I might have to move them manually afterwards (if possible).

It is wrong and against the P3D SDK to be installing addon files other than the add-on.xml to the documents area.  I'd complain to that developer.  You can put the addon files on the other drive or any place you want.  The <Path> ... </Path> tag in the add-on.xml tells P3D where to look for those files.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have installed most of my add-ons now, and managed to move those that installed into the documents folder to another drive. So for the moment I only have the xml-files there. So far, so good...

Marius S