Sign in to follow this  
captain420

My P3D is loading up extremely slow

I just noticed this today, it wasn't this bad prior to this. It started happening after I installed Rex Skyforce 3D, and when I had to reinstall my FSDT addon manager and airports all over again. Not sure if any of those had anything to do with it. But a restart of windows still won't fix the slow loading issue. The very 1st time I start up my sim after a reboot will take maybe around 15 minutes, and then every time after that maybe 11 minutes. P3D loads up to about 6% and then this is where it slows down a lot, at this point it stays here for about 7 minutes before it the percentage starts increasing. It's loading the terrain at this stage. It's the terrain loading that takes the longest. I never had it load this slow before. I even tried to force the unilclookup feature in FTX central to see if that would fix it. But it also didn't. I'm running out of ideas on what it could be.

This is the scenario. I launch Rex Skyforce 3D, then Active Sky, and then it loads up ASCA automatically. Then I load up P3D which then also loads up Chaseplane. I am using AS as the weather engine, and Rex for textures, I have all textures in ASCA unchecked, it just loads up automatically because of AS. I have no control over that, and I leave Rex open because I have the following options checked. It was recommended on a YouTube tutorial I saw. So I'm not sure if this is optimal.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

How long does it take to start up P3D without all those external addons? Did you try that? I once had loading issues with a corrupted terrain.cfg, but never found a solution until I completely re-installed the whole sim. Not that nice, but at least it worked again as intended...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

True, it's nearly always addons that cause this.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Just incase it is a corrupted terrain file, how do I fix that without having to reinstall the entire sim again?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Okay I tried it without loading those add-ons and the time came out the same, roughly 11 minutes to load up. Sigh. So it's not the addons that's causing it, it has to be something else. What do you guys suggest I do to try and pinpoint what the cause may be?

I'm thinking it has to do with the textures, because that's what's taking the longest to load...  I'm starting to think it could be a corrupted file. Because I remember while I was trying to activate my FSDT addons while in the sim, and the FSDT addon window froze, and P3D also froze and I had to force quit out of the app. I wonder if that might've corrupted anything or could cause the issue of why things are loading so slow now. 😞 Sigh. Everything was working great. It's always something. I just took a break from flight simming to come back and have to deal with endless tinkering again. I feel like just giving up on flight simming, there's just too many problems I end up running into.

Would you happen to have messed with affinity masks or something recently as well? Perhaps turned off hyperthreading? I know turning that off, or masking it off with an AM, will significantly increase the load times for me.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Sethos, I know for a fact that I didn't mess with any of those settings. But I noticed strange texture loading problems when flying.

Affinity Mask or TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP set to 9 or 10 could cause this. Also, try to rebuild scenery cfg and scenery indexes -  delete scenery.cfg inside C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4(make a backup first, just in case)and all files inside C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SceneryIndexes_x64.

Maybe Prepar3D.cfg should be rebuilded too. Some addons could add tweaks to this file

Just delete prepar3d.cfg and scenery.cfg

Edited by nas123

On my P3Dv4.2 setup, the total loading time is 1 min, 35 secs, measured by stopwatch and to me it looks like it last forever.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Very slow loading times can also occur if the simulator is trying to find a file that has been deleted/corrupted...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Lots of installed AI packages has a big impact too.

Currently I'd estimate it takes approx. 10-15min for my sim to launch, quickly change airport/aircraft then load. Which sometimes is kinda putting me of wanting to fly

• Like 1

Same here, my sim takes over 10 minutes to launch, i think it is caused by lots of sceneries, ai-traffic, Orbx stuff etc. Patience is the key it seems 😉

Mikael Leinonen