Sign in to follow this  
captain420

My P3D is loading up extremely slow

2 hours ago, Litmoose said:

Lots of installed AI packages has a big impact too.

Well, depending on the AI addon in use. UTL for instance doesn't work with bgl's and doesn't have this problem.

Another idea for Aaron: did you by any chance use the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP tweak and have it at 10? That will make P3D load for ages. 

EDIT
Oops, I see Zeljko already suggested that.

Edited by Guest

Thanks to everyone for giving me advice here. I will try all of them as a last resort, and if all else fails. I think I will do a fresh clean install of P3D when v4.3 comes out. Sigh, I really hope it doesn't come down to that because it would be really painful to have to reinstall and configure all my add-ons again. 😞

Yes I have already confirmed that I am not using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, mine has always been at 8. And I never had these extreme slow loading issues before. Like Chris had mention, I really am starting to believe that the problem is terrain related, because this is the point that it slows down during loading. Is there a way to put it in debug mode so that we can get a log of exactly what P3D is doing in the background while it loads up? This should help me pinpoint where the problem is. I know in X-Plane there's a log that gets created whenever you load the sim up and is very helpful in seeing whats wrong. Does P3D have anything like this?

Now considering I have ORBX Global add-ons such as Global, Vector, openLC, etc. If I did have some problems with my terrain.cfg file and decide to delete it and let P3D create a new one. Would I have to reinstall just Global, Vector and openLC, or does that mean I have to reinstall all my addons over again? But first I must figure out what's causing this issue. The reason I think it's terrain related is because when I flew yesterday over KIAH, heading towards south, I saw a lot of strange textures, like water, and then certain textures loading on top of one another. I didn't recall seeing this before. Would force shutting down P3D while FSDT's addon manager window popped open and got stuck have anything to do with the terrain.cfg file? I am starting to think that when I did that, that P3D was in the middle of writing to that file or something.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Okay I did those 3 things that Elaine mentioned, deleted my Shaders folder, Prepar3D.cfg, and SceneryIndexes_x64 folder and my sim is still loading slow. So it's not any of those causing it. The only other logical thing I can think of is it has to be the terrains.cfg or something related to that. I'm noticing a lot of strange land textures in the wrong places and some of them keep changing as well. Sigh, so if its due to a corrupted terrain.cfg, what's the best and most efficient way to go about fixing this without having to reinstall P3D all over again? Would I just have to reinstall ORBX Global, Vector, openLC or do I need to reinstall everything from ORBX all over again?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Aaron - sounds like "something"  is messed up somewhere. Really, since 4.3 is due to drop you EASIEST and safest option is to do a complete reinstall. You can spend days spinning your wheels trying to track this down or spend an hour and do it the hard way - just reinstall.

For now, Orbx and PMDG and a few others have to stay in the P3D folder - too easy to mess up royally by trying to move them. Many installers already use the xml method, many can manually be rerouted and many cannot. For now, we just have to live with the mixup.

Just clean install and get back to enjoying FLYING not installing.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think I manage to find out what the problem is. I deleted my Scenery.cfg and terrains.cfg from C:\ProgamData folder and the sim started up fast, in 1 minute, and i had no issues with weird textures and stuff...

But when I ran P3D again, there was this pop up that said Autogen Configuration Merger or something, and it asked me to restart p3d in order for any changes to be reflected, so I did. and after this was when the problem came back! P3D is back to loading slow again. Does anyone know what this autogen merger is?

It seems to be writing or doing something to my Scenery.cfg file it seems. Because everytime I erase my Scenery.cfg file and restart the game, the problem goes away. But when I install certain add-ons and run P3D, this Autogen Configuration Merger thing pops up, and after that is when the problem seems to begin again.

Also I don't recall installing any of these in my install, 

Scenery\Cities\Rockhampton

Scenery\Cities\Kennedy_Space_Center

Scenery\Cities\Orlando

After I delete my Scenery.cfg and run P3D it always says it cant find those areas and asks me if I would like to unload them, so I hit yes. Why do they keep appearing in my Scenery.cfg in the first place?

Edited by captain420

uncheck Autogen Configuration Merger from addons menu too,🙄 it's required  from fiew scenerys only...(skiathos,mauritius etc)  run ones ftx central  before p3d restart...

Edited by iliasr

Check the size of your folder C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\IVAO_MTL

I changed from size of 9GB to 500MB and it reduced my startup time from 6 minutes to just under 1 minute.

Removing sceneries did not have any effects.

Hello, I have quite a few ORBX products, Global Base, All Regions, All openLC Files, a number of airports. with all my ORBX products installed it takes 4 mins to main P3dv4 window and 2 mins to load the SIM.

I mainly fly in North America. So I would disable Europe and Oceania. When I do this, the load time is 2min 10 sec for my PC.

Here is the difference for me. If you do have any new updates or files for scenery, I would disable the 'empty scenery cache on exit' option. This give me a load time of 1.5 mins (North America scenery only) and 3.5 mins (all my products installed). I have found that you can reduce the load time by 30 secs everytime. This helps load times and it is not necessary to 'empty scenery cache on exit', unless something has changed. 

Hope this helps..

Edited by aescal
grammer error

On 6/20/2018 at 10:11 PM, MPL said:

Same here, my sim takes over 10 minutes to launch, i think it is caused by lots of sceneries, ai-traffic, Orbx stuff etc. Patience is the key it seems 😉

Use the Lorby add-on manager, and add everything as xml addons rather than scenery library.

Make a bunch of groups in the Lorby app so you can easily boot with the addons you need.

Keep slow-booting addons - AIG, TrueEarth on an SSD.

That’s what i’ve done, I do have lots of addons but this approach makes it manageable.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Is your sim installed on an SSD drive and separate from your boot drive. I have my Windows boot drive all by itself and my P3D V4.5 and V5 on a 500GB SSD M2 NVME It loads in less than 3 minutes. Actually 2 mins and 20 secs

Edited by saskarider

Wayne Larsen

Lol OP is 2018, figure he has either fixed it or given up by now!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron