Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

Upgrade to 8700k - what motherboard?

I'm interested in upgrading to this CPU, and I'm a bit unsure about what MB to choose. The one option I have looked at is the ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming. It has gotten decent reviews at the site I'm buying from, but there might be better options out there for about the same cost? The MB I currently have is quite limited when it comes to overclocking, so I want one that has less limitations in that area.

And finally ram. Would 2666 MHz be sufficient, or do I need to go higher?

Marius S

I just bought and installed an Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 - amazing. Love it. One of the smoothest mobo installs I have ever had. No issues with it other than the CPU power connector was too close to the edge so I had to cut off the clip from the wire connector to allow it past the heatsink which is mounted on top of the case. Drivers work well, BIOS flashed easily, LED lights look cool and colour can be changed..... 

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

To feed my 8700k i have a Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING and Corsair Vengeance LED 3000MHz CL15 very happy with all.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Pay close attention to the output ports provided by the MOB choices you consider. Do they match you needs?  It's not always all about specs.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 and love it. Great board.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

I ended up with the Asus ROG Strix Z370 gaming F. The Asrock one looked good, but I had a hard time finding it in my country.

Does anyone have any advice when it comes to overclocking the 8700k? I have the 4790k today overclocked to 4,5 ghz, but I was hoping to go a bit firther with the one, maybe close to 5 if that is possible without goong to far.

Marius S

Very good video here from one of the best around. Not your board, but the same principles apply.

5 GHz is most definitely feasible as long as you have good cooling and do okay in the silicone lottery.

My 8700K clocks to 5 GHz on all cores without any trouble. That's cooling with a Noctua NH-D15S. I have delidded though, and shaved about 10 degrees off with delidding.

I would certainly advise you set AVX offset to 2 or 3. I prefer 2. you don't want the temp shooting up dramatically if you run any app that runs AVX.

Make sure you install the latest BIOS for your board, for max stability when overclocking.

The easy way to overclock all cores to max Turbo (4.7 GHz)  is to enable MCE in your BIOS. Alternatively Asus Five Way Optimisation will overclock for you and automatically run stress tests. Manual overclocking will offer the best control and lowest temp.

Edited by martin-w

I have now gotten parts installed. So far it looks like 4,4 Ghz is the max I can achieve without cooking the CPU. I do have watercooling, but I might try with another fan to see if that makes an improvement. With 4,4 Ghz, 67 degree was the highest I saw, while 4,5 gave temperatures up to 85 degrees (celsius that is). But the performance improvements are quite good though with the current settings.

Marius S

Personally I've had no experience of EVGA motherboards. But I am a fan of their other products, graphics cards and PSU's. If the quality of the other kit is to go by, should be good boards. Best to look at the reviews.