Sign in to follow this  
Charles67

Installation of Reality XP Garmin GTN 650 in X-Plane 11

I am interested in purchasing the new Reality XP Garmin GTN 650 for X-Plane 11, but I am a little concerned about the installation process.

Could somebody briefly describe how the GTN 650 installation process works?  Is the documentation that comes with the software adequate even for people that do not have much experience in this type of issues?

Also, could the Reality XP Garmin GTN 650 be installed on more than one of the aircrafts available in X-Plane 11?

Thanks

You just install it with the exe 

By default once in the sim you go to the plugin menu and select it via drop down then it's in your plane as a popup.  To actually make a 3D bezel it takes a custom modeling of the gauge.  Some people have already done that.  The planes I know of with a 3D bezel and VC integration are:

default 172, aerobask panthera and eclipse, dreamfoil bell 407, x aviation MU2, Carenado pc12 and AC690, ASDG super cub

Theres probably more I just don't know of 

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

You just install it with the exe 

By default once in the sim you go to the plugin menu and select it via drop down then it's in your plane as a popup.  To actually make a 3D bezel it takes a custom modeling of the gauge.  Some people have already done that.  The planes I know of with a 3D bezel and VC integration are:

default 172, aerobask panthera and eclipse, dreamfoil bell 407, x aviation MU2, Carenado pc12 and AC690, ASDG super cub

Theres probably more I just don't know of 

Thanks for your reply.  I actually purchased the Reality XP Garmin GTN 650 and with the help of your post I  was able to install it.  I can get the GTN 650 popup on the default 172, but unfortunately at this time I cannot turn the unit on using the top left corner knob.    But I am working on it .....

Is the battery and avionics turned on in your plane?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes, the engine is on, the battery is on, the avionics switch is on, which is confirmed by all the radios and the other Garmin equipment being on.. 

Hmmm

And you're sure you've ticked the GTN 650 in XP11 menu?

Do you have an anti virus software?  Sometimes it blocks the necessary files 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

19 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Hmmm

And you're sure you've ticked the GTN 650 in XP11 menu?

Do you have an anti virus software?  Sometimes it blocks the necessary files 

My Antivirus is Microsoft Defender that comes standard with Windows 10.  I understand, that it is not intrusive as other antivirus programs.  I have other antivirus/antispyware software which is not monitoring my computer in real time.  I run it periodically, but it is not on when I use X-plane 11.

I am not sure about what you mean by 'ticked'.  The Reality GTN, however, shows as 'enabled' in the plugin information and it shows on the screen as well.  It is just off and I cannot turn it on.

I have been travelling.  Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks