Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

WhereAreMyAircraft - WAMA updated to 1.12

Hello @ll,

WAMA has been updated to version 1.12.

The key elements of this release are:

• You can now add comments to logbook entries (departure, arrival and any screenshot that you take)
  • A flight in the logbook can be resumed now (for example if your simulator crashed on you)
  • The data that is being logged has been expanded. Landing data now includes weather conditions and various other variables (if available from the aircraft model).
  • Several bugfixes and adjustments. Most notably, the Time Machine now works correctly with the QW 787.

The app has been deployed to SimMarket, the other shops usually follow in a few days.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2

LORBY-SI

Oliver,

I've been intrigued by WAMA since the first release but am having a difficult time imaging how it would work (or replace or augment or .....) with my current setup. Perhaps you or other WAMA users could offer advice or ideas?

I've been using SimStarter NG for a long while. Configured in SimStarter, I have several saved flights with various aircraft at various airports.  So, if I want to fly my C337 out of Yuma, I would select that flight to load (and all the other associated settings that would go with that flight).

What WAMA might do for me is 1) allow me to have multiple starting aircraft at one airport and 2) after flying to a different airport, automatically be able to pick up from that previous destination.

Do you have any experience with SimStarter and how might it integrate with WAMA?

Thanks for any ideas from all who might comment.

Edited by Henry Street

Hello Henry,

when using WAMA you will probably not fall back on saved flights any more. Internally WAMA works much the same way (=it uses saved flights too), but you don't have to concern yourself with saving or loading them. Your aircraft will always be where you left them, which makes for a slightly different approach to simming in general. As a side effect, all your aircraft will be visible in the sim, so if you go to an airfield where you left multiple aircraft of your fleet, they will be standing there.

A short story about a use case that I discovered recently: delivery flights. When the QW 787 came out, I decided that instead of just warping it to my home airport, I will go and pick it up at Paine Field, the Boeing big iron factory.

1. I started WAMA and loaded the QW 787 in the livery that I wanted at an arbitrary airfield (I always use LIEO, but it really doesn't matter)
  2. I saved the position in WAMA and left the aircraft
  3. Then I opened the Database Editor in WAMA and transferred the 787 to gate 117 at KPAE, which is the delivery gate.
  4. (Interlude 1) - I did the same with the Carenado Turbo Commander, and moved it to a random gate at KSEA. Then I pretended to travel to KSEA in my head. Then I started the sim, boarded the TC at KSEA and let it be flown to KPAE by AiTrackerX (Pilot View Mode), with me sitting in the passenger cabin and looking at the beautiful DD scenery. I thoroughly enjoyed the landing at KPAE as a passenger, with ample time to look at all the new aircraft being parked there. 
  5. Upon leaving the TC at KPAE, I used my invisible camera pod to tour the airport, and sure enough, my 787 in my selected livery was waiting for me at the gate, curtesy of WAMA.
  6. Then I boarded my new aircraft and flew her to her new home in Europe.
  7. (Interlude 2) I had a short stop-over at KBUF and took a helicopter to fly around Niagara Falls (Aerosoft), while leaving my 787 parked at the gate. I continued the 787 flight the next day from the very same spot, again curtesy of WAMA.
  8. As an aside, I followed the whole flight in GoogleEarth on a second computern (including the flight plan as a 3D extrusion and all AI aircraft), this feature being provided by AiTracker X.

But - as the QW 787 does not display the landing gear when created as an AI object, I replaced it with a different model from the BVAI pool in WAMA.

Other features would be placing any sim object into your scenery (even moving ones) and the very extensive Logbook feature. For people with a tight schedule there is the Time Machine too, which will accelerate the simulation rate when you are following a flight plan on autopilot, slowing it down to 1x for every waypoint so the AP can make the turn.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 3

LORBY-SI

Oliver,

great info and great example of how to use the software.

Look for me to be a user soon.

Thanks!

Hello Henry,

the users manual is available as a download on the Lorby-SI website prior to purchase (www.lorby-si.com, section "downloads"). I have also added a couple of Logbook export examples there.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver - I tried sitting as a passenger in an AITrackerX flight as you suggested. It was a lot of fun! A few minor issues I found in pilot view.

• When the pilot accelerates or deaccelerates my position in the passenger seat shifts even when I lock it.
  • The virtual cockpit integrity is clipped by the observer viewing bubble. So I can see the cockpit but also see the ground underneath even when I adjust the position with the pilot view parameters. I assume this is because you are actually superimposing the observer aircraft within the AI aircraft I am following?

It even works in native VR!

Anything that can be done about these minor issues?

Cheers

Edited by glider1

10 hours ago, glider1 said:

Hi Oliver - I tried sitting as a passenger in an AITrackerX flight as you suggested. It was a lot of fun! A few minor issues I found in pilot view.

• When the pilot accelerates or deaccelerates my position in the passenger seat shifts even when I lock it.
  • The virtual cockpit integrity is clipped by the observer viewing bubble. So I can see the cockpit but also see the ground underneath even when I adjust the position with the pilot view parameters. I assume this is because you are actually superimposing the observer aircraft within the AI aircraft I am following?

It even works in native VR!

Anything that can be done about these minor issues?

Cheers

Hi,

the shifting of your viewpoint shouldn't happen, that sounds odd. Were you trying to sit in the AI? Because that is not how "Pilot View" was intended to be used.

Here is what I do: I load the same aircraft as the AI to be my own vehicle. Then I create the AI with a flight plan, and once it appears in the list, I click "Follow AI", then activate the "Pilot View". The two models intersect when standing still or rolling very slowly, but this can be improved by moving my aircraft ahead a little bit with the Pilot View parameters. In most instances I have to move it upwards too, because otherwise the AI will stop on the taxiway (my own wheels have to be slightly off the ground, otherwise the collision detection of the sim kicks in). I stay in my own aircraft all the time, and adjust the camera position to my liking. But - I am using my CameraPosition X for that - still, it should work with the eyepoint adjustment in AITX too (Ctrl/Shift/Number Keys). 

In Pilot View mode the aircraft systems are synced to the AI, so while I am sitting comfortably in my own plane, throttles, yoke, gear lever etc. will move on their own accord.

The point of all this was to enable people who can't fly even a simulated aircraft (because of disabilities) to feel like they do just that. So the AI has full control all the time, but for that to work correctly, both the AI and your own aircraft must be at least of the same type - preferably of the same model - if it works as AI.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

15 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hi,

the shifting of your viewpoint shouldn't happen, that sounds odd. Were you trying to sit in the AI? Because that is not how "Pilot View" was intended to be used.

Best regards

Hi Oliver - All's good.

I must have gotten AITrackerX into a strange mode first trial. This time I did it per your instructions above and didn't use the observer pod but was in the actual aircraft I intended to be a passenger in before commencing following. I used the shortcut keys to change my position in the seat in VR. No clipping absolutely perfect as if I were flying the plane. I could actually interact with the G-1000!? Pilot didn't seem to care 😉 Interesting way to learn ATC procedures too for beginners. Excellent thought that people with disabilities are going to love this feature in VR! Good on you for thinking of them. I don't have CameraX installed.

Cheers